Family Enjoying Movie Night At Home Together

Family Enjoying Movie Night At Home TogetherToday we update our side by side look at the major live TV streaming services. With a lot of new device support and new channels we wanted update our live TV streaming service break down. This month we looked at Fubo TV, PhiloDIRECTV NOWSling TV, Hulu’s live TV betaYouTube TV, and PlayStation Vue with the hopes that we will make picking the right live TV streaming service easier.

*Note this list is up to date (as best as we can make it) as of Feburary 2nd 2018.

Are you on a mobile device? Struggling to see the chart? Here is a PDF you can download for easier viewing.

First, you should look at which of these services works on the devices you own:

Streaming Player Sling TV PS Vue DIRECTV NOW YouTube TV Hulu Beta Fubo TV Philo
Roku X X  X  X X X X
Fire TV X X X  X X
Apple TV X X X  X X X
Chromecast X X X X X X
iOS X X X X X X X
Android Phones/Tablet X X X X X X X
Android TV X  X  X  X
Xbox One X  X X
PlayStation 4 X

*Note: Chromecast will work on any Chromecast supported device like Android TV.

All of the services offer local channels in different markets. You can find out what locals are available in your area by visiting their sites.

Next, you should check to see which service has the channels you want:

Channel Sling TV PS Vue DIRECTV NOW YouTube TV Hulu Beta Fubo TV Philo
Vibrant X
Viceland X X X X X
WE tv X X  X X X
Weather Channel X X
WeatherNation  X X
YES  X  X  X  X  X X

*YouTube TV also includes access to YouTube Red.
*fuboTV & Sling TV include several international packages.
*Spike TV has been updated to Paramount as it will change its name this month.
*Hulu also includes access to Hulu’s on-demand service.
*Comet TV recently announced plans to come to PlayStation Vue & YouTube TV
*Found a error? Please email us and we will fix it.

Number of Streams

DIRECTV NOW offers two streams. (DIRECTV NOW has announced they will be increasing that to 3 streams.)

Sling TV will allow you to stream one or three streams at once depending on what package you sign up for. You can also use your Sling TV login for some apps such as WatchESPN.

PlayStation Vue will work on five devices at once but some channels will not work outside of your home network. You can use your PlayStation Vue login on different apps such as WatchESPN.

YouTube TV allows for 3 streams at once both inside and outside of your home.

fuboTV allows 2 streams at the same time.

Hulu live TV beta starts with 2 streams but you can add more for $14.99 a month.

DVR

DIRECTV NOW has a DVR in closed beta testing and currently offers 100 hours of storage.

Philo includes an unlimited 30-day DVR, plus on-demand programming.

PlayStation Vue offers a 28-day DVR and after 28 days the recording is removed.

Sling TV has a DVR and most of their channels have on-demand versions of the aired shows. Sling TV is offering 50 hours of DVR space with no time limit on how long you can keep a recording for $5 a month.

YouTube TV will keep shows for 9 months but replaces DVR recording with on-demand versions when available.

Fubo TV offers 30 hours of personal cloud DVR storage with no expiration and an Advanced DVR for $9.99/month, which includes 500 hours.

Hulu live TV beta starts with 50 hours of storage. If you want more storage or the ability to fast forward you can pay $14.99 a month to get that ability.

So what service should you pick?

Hopefully, this guide has helped you find the right service. If you are still wondering which is the best for you and your family the best thing to do is to try the free trial for Fubo TVDIRECTV NOWSling TV, YouTube TV, Hulu, Philo, and PlayStation Vue offer. Our suggestion is to give them a try and see if you like them. Check each service’s site for current prices because they keep changing.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

68 Responses to Philo vs Sling TV vs DIRECTV NOW vs PlayStation Vue vs Fubo TV vs Hulu vs YouTube TV – Updated February 2018

1. Fred Koot February 3, 2018 at 8:56 am #

Vue has DIY and Fox soccer plus, CNN International is free with CNN login.

2. Barbara Pelletier Wallace February 3, 2018 at 9:27 am #

Playstation Vue does have Diy Neywork as well as Hallmark Drama (as does Sling) and Universal Kids . It does not however have Newsy.

3. Derek February 3, 2018 at 9:42 am #

Every time y’all publish this list I chime in and say “YouTube TV has Newsy” and y’all never update that. YouTube TV also has Pop.

4. Fred Koot February 3, 2018 at 9:56 am #

Why do you delete posts that correct you?

• Cord Cutters News February 3, 2018 at 10:09 am #

Once we fix the issue the comment is removed to keep the comments from being flooded.

• Fred Koot February 3, 2018 at 10:45 am #

You haven’t corrected it!

• Mike Thaler February 3, 2018 at 11:10 am #

I have pointed out that YTTV has BBC World news several months. Now that you have moved etc. – no more excuses.

5. Dean G February 3, 2018 at 10:01 am #

Sigh, it’s like a rehash of old stuff here lately. Hey rather than come up with something new to say, let’s just repost old stuff and make them think something is new in it.

6. Michael Allbritton February 3, 2018 at 10:02 am #

FYI: Hulu Beta does have the Olympic channel.

7. Tư Lô February 3, 2018 at 10:12 am #

I want Tennis channel playing on Roku so I would like to use DirecTV Now or Youtube TV.

8. jshep23 February 3, 2018 at 10:23 am #

PS Vue is best in my opinion

• Mxx February 3, 2018 at 11:33 am #

It is the best only if it’s the cheapest, has all the channels you want and works on all devices you use.

For me sling blue is the best.

• Fred Koot February 3, 2018 at 12:02 pm #

By the time you add in a Dvr and tax Blue for me in only $5 less than Vue. Definitely not worth saving $5 for the cheaper quality of Sling.

• Mxx February 3, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

Except I don’t care for dvr so it’s an irrelevant point.

• Chris Kidwell February 3, 2018 at 3:10 pm #

I like that all the channels I would DVR on sling blue has the ability to use the network TVEverywhere sing in (FX, Fox Sports Go and USA). When I cancel Dish next month Philo + Sling Blue will be perfect for us

• BobMcChob February 3, 2018 at 7:34 pm #

I find this comment interesting. What do you mean by “the cheaper quality of Sling?” I’ve been using it for about 6 months, mostly with Roku streaming sticks but a little on my phone, and have had zero issues. The Roku app is responsive, a little slower in the first gen streaming stick, and I’ve not had any issues with love or on demand content.

• Fred Koot February 3, 2018 at 8:29 pm #

Lack of unlimited dvr, lack of 60 fps on all channels. Lack of a explore function where you can pull up any genre of content across all channels. lack of new episodes going to front of favorite list.

• Malignar February 3, 2018 at 8:34 pm #

I found Sling to be the worst. I tried it 5 months ago and it had the worst picture quality of the big guys, more buffering for me as well. Not to mention them splitting the channels in a nonsense manner for a sports fan (fox on one and espn on the other). No locals, the UI was poor. Customer service was right there with AT&T in terms of uselessness. Unless I hated sports, locals and was tight on cash, there is no way I would ever choose Sling over any of the others.

9. Shawn Stuckey February 3, 2018 at 10:53 am #

Sling tv blue package is best for me paired with my Amazon Prime. Direct tv has some good packages, BUT..will wait to see a complete final package. When dvr is available then we can confirm all the specifics like time, price, etc. First, they need to fix the ongoing, constant, and just terrible buffering issues. This is why I dropped them and will check back later.

• VeeTeeF February 3, 2018 at 11:21 am #

I’ve been using the DirecTV Now Beta for the past 2 weeks and the buffering issues are improved substantially over the regular app, but they’re still present. The DVR works like a traditional cable DVR. It starts recording at the moment you hit record, and you can set it to record an entire season. Those are essentially the only options though. No setting additional recording time before/after a program, no recording a show on multiple channels if re-runs or on another channel. It also seems to generically record the same time slot on a certain channel at the same time every week when you set a season to record instead of “smartly” tracking a show. I’m sure more features will be added as the beta progresses though.

• Shawn Stuckey February 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm #

Thanks for your feed back! It helps alot of us out! My friend told me the same thing as you pretty much exactly but added the dvr had issues and did not record on time in skme cases. Also as you said, buffering is better but still at the point of being constant and just not worth it. So, I will keep waiting but because of you and my friend sticking it out and keeping us current, I can’t thank you enough. They should reward you for not only being a loyal customer but for also updating in real time for us future cutomers.

10. Jon Schumacher February 3, 2018 at 11:12 am #

I think it would be nice to have Centurylink Stream added. They have not added the Fox stations from what I see though.

11. Wambie February 3, 2018 at 11:13 am #

So what I learned is that not one channel is on everything. And what I don’t know is what the heck is Duck TV? Never heard of it.

12. k.alexander February 3, 2018 at 11:24 am #

I’ve had SlingTV for about 6 months. It’s generally ok, EXCEPT that their DVR is close to worthless! It will DVR everything but gives me a 10-402 error on more than half the recordings. I opened a case with Sling which after a few back and forths got me nowhere; I then googled around for help only to discover this: https://whitenoise.kinja.com/sling-tv-and-nbc-what-you-need-to-know-1796879381. Looks like Sling doesn’t have the rights to DVR many shows (for ex anything remotely good on NBC), so it will show you the recording but won’t play it. For this reason alone I’m switching to YoutubeTV now that it’s out on AppleTV and Roku.

Second reason is that they don’t have all the local channels. I have an antenna, but it’s not the same, and again no DVR with the antennae.

• charles perry February 3, 2018 at 1:17 pm #

I had issues with the Sling DVR where it filled up with shows but wouldn’t play them and wouldn’t let me erase them. I was finally able to clean it up after several attempts and it went back to normal functions but I was never told why it happened in the first place. That said, Sling DVR overall is still better than DTVN Beta DVR, which has a capacity of 20 hours and not the 100 CCN claims.

• k.alexander February 3, 2018 at 3:00 pm #

@disqus_EnWccHNfWC:disqus Just curious, but have you not experienced the issue with 10-402 errors or errors where your recording can’t be “currently” (although currently is forever) played?

• charles perry February 3, 2018 at 4:52 pm #

it’s been a few months since this happened, but I think I had what you described. Every time I tried to get those recordings, I got an error message. After I cleared it up, it worked OK. I must make a confession: The reasons I’m on DTVN are [1] more channels [2] cheaper premiums and [3] the promise of a DVR. If AT&T doesn’t fix things soon, #3 will outweigh the first 2 and I will go back to Sling.

• DON February 4, 2018 at 9:10 am #

I agree with this critique of sling TV. DVR leaves a lot to be desired. however, the dvr does work well with most shows. I have the free beta so I can accept this. However, if I were paying $5 per month for it I would not be happy!. Having said this, I still will stick with sling. Cannot beat $25 per month for blue package which has all the channels I need. I am in a free trial with youtube TV. It is fine, but is missing wayyy too many channels ( hgtv, tbs, tnt,…) and is $35. Not a good value for me.

• Larry A February 5, 2018 at 9:15 pm #

re: PS Vue and lack of channels, I’m in Denver (not sure that should matter for non-local) and get HGTV, TBS and TNT at the $35 tier. Strange!

• Shawn Stuckey February 4, 2018 at 10:58 am #

NO Issues with sling DVR Here IN FL.

• k.alexander February 4, 2018 at 12:14 pm #

What device do you use it on? I’m wondering if these issues are maybe limited to AppleTV and iOS; although I don’t see how or why.

• Shawn Stuckey February 4, 2018 at 7:09 pm #

On Roku Ultra box, spectrum 100Mbs service. Only issue after using and testing Hulu, Vue, sling, many others is Direct Tv. Sling works very well as well as sling DVR. I’m in Florida. Hope this helps.

• k.alexander February 5, 2018 at 11:59 am #

Maybe it’s their tvOS and iOS apps. But whatever, if they can’t build decent apps — goodbye. Started a trial of YouTubeTV this weekend, and so far I love it!

13. Mxx February 3, 2018 at 11:35 am #

They admins, none of the tables in this article are scrollable horizontally on mobile… Can’t see anything past the first 2 columns

• Wambie February 3, 2018 at 11:41 am #

There is a link on top of the table for a PDF download.

• Mxx February 3, 2018 at 11:52 am #

Unless my life depends on it, I avoid PDFs.

14. Teddy G February 3, 2018 at 12:11 pm #

I use PlayStation Vue. But having said that, I think Youtube TV might be a good choice for anyone who has a VP9 compatible streamer and slower bandwidth. When I was watching the presidential state of the union address earlier this week, I watched it live on Youtube on my Shield. Curiosity got me into the live bandwidth status page on my Synology router and I noticed a huge difference in bandwidth consumption between the live Youtube 1080p60 stream and PlayStation Vue’s 720p30? Youtube used about 1/3 of the bandwidth. Just a thought I like to put out there because I haven’t seen anyone mention bandwidth comparison between the services. It doesn’t affect me much because I have a 150D/11U, but I think it would keep me far from the data caps limits imposed by my provider. Just another angle to look at this. I think it would be nice to benchmark bandwidth usage and add it to a comparison chart between the services. I’m sure many cord cutters with less than ideal bandwidth would find it very useful to reduce the likeliness of buffering. Anyway, Just an idea.

15. Donald Roberts February 3, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

I’m impressed with youtube tv been testing love the tv guide runs real smooth dvr is ok picture quailty is the best I’ve seen of all the streaming services. Biggest disapointmment is lack of turner stations this is a deal breaker for me cause I need my basketball. For me directv now is a much better deal I have the $35 deal for 60+ channels and over the last year recieved HBO for free.

16. os1019 February 3, 2018 at 1:37 pm #

DirectTV Now practically has every channel which is why I keep as a service. However, YouTube TV is my favorite service they just need more channels. Come on Alphabet…

17. Nathan John Ganiere February 3, 2018 at 2:06 pm #

It’s Newsy that is on YouTube TV if I’m not mistaken, not Local Now or whatever it is……

18. stumpy579 February 3, 2018 at 3:01 pm #

Sling and DTVNow do not carry NBC Sports Philadelphia. If you want your Regional Sports Network always confirm the service you are considering actually carries your RSN. Sling/DTVNow charge Philly area subscribers same price but do not provide RSN like the other services do.

19. Mark D February 3, 2018 at 3:15 pm #

Anyone else here have the Centurylink 20 mbps and Hulu live? Curious how the streaming quality has been.

• k.alexander February 3, 2018 at 3:41 pm #

I pay for 25 mbps to Comcast (although I technically get a bit under 30 when I test), and it’s more than enough for multiple streams in the house. I’ve had this connection for almost a year, and see zero effective difference as compared to 200 mbps that I had for a few years before.

I never have any problems streaming Netflix, Amazon, SlingTV, etc. Also someone else in the house is usually streaming something else at the time. I think 25mbps is sufficient.

• JD Campbell February 4, 2018 at 10:20 am #

Exact same speed here…totally concur.

20. LWS February 3, 2018 at 4:55 pm #

An easy-to-use and very helpful site to compare all the TV options is http://www.suppose.tv

• Miklaus Schnabel February 7, 2018 at 7:55 pm #

Wow,that is quite the site to compare,thanks for the heads up.Everything is still too much $$ IMO,that’s why I’ll stick w/ my IPTV provider for now.Can’t beat 10 bucks a mo. for EVERYTHING.

21. Roger Livingston February 3, 2018 at 6:46 pm #

I’ve been a Sling tv customer for 2.5 years, but it looks like I’m switching to YouTube TV. I’m disappointed sling tv has not added local broadcast stations. Even though I have an antenna and Tablo tv, I’m tired of having to change apps on my Roku, sling to Tablo. YouTube tv let’s me run one app for everything and I think it’s the only streaming service to offer all the locals for the greenville, sc market.

22. gchasse February 3, 2018 at 7:42 pm #

I have Vue and have had it for over a year, and I get it on a Roku. For me I get all the channels I want without a gazillion others I don’t for $45/month. I am paying about $75 per month less than what I used to pay on Dish for the same stuff.

The thing that is nice is that there are options and most people should find something that suits their needs.

A side comment. I am a bit puzzled at the direction DirecTV is taking. Essentially the difference between their satellite service and OTT is the source. You can get similar packages on both. I also saw the box they revealed recently they want to add, and again, when you are getting rid of a cable box, why would you want another one? I am not sure that is cord cutter strategy for simplification, but perhaps they are looking at a different market. I don’t know, but I have no interest. I am not sure if anyone out there has any insight into their strategy.

23. Phil7474 February 3, 2018 at 8:26 pm #

I got the “Go Big” deal with HBO and @ the promo price 35$ for life with direct TV Now. It’s the best option for my family and I’m glad they’re increasing the number of streams to three, two was rediculous. I like the new dvr as I’m a beta user. I’ve had sling and Vue (until they lost Viacom channels). By far Direct TV Now is perfect for me.

24. Danny Hensley February 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm #

Correction to the Table above: PS Vue does have DIY network

• Barbara Pelletier Wallace February 4, 2018 at 1:19 pm #

Yes they do as well as Hallmark Drama and Universal Kids.

25. John Burgess February 4, 2018 at 12:00 am #

after checking out suppose tv, fubo and philo is my best option. Only sports I put was NFL network. my must haves:
    AMC
    Animal Planet
    Fox News
    NFL Network

sling does not have Fox News or Animal Planet
    DTVN does not have NFL Network
    Hulu/You Tube does not have AMC/ Animal planet/ nfl network
    PS Vue has serval channels (some Viacom/Discovery channels) missing I can get with Fubo and Philo for around the same price…not to mention doing away with my slim plan….AND not getting even one local station.

26. LetsGoHawks February 4, 2018 at 12:36 am #

Tried to use DirectTV over the holidays. It’s a bad joke. Programs constantly freeze, I have SlingTV on the same connection and no issues. DirectTv should be embarrassed for charging such a garbage product.

27. John February 4, 2018 at 1:33 am #

YouTube TV really needs more channels. They are missing ALL the Viacom channels, and Food Network, Cartoon Network, History Channel, etc.

Hopefully, by the time they officially launch nationwide they’ll add a bunch of those.

• Rocksleeper February 4, 2018 at 9:30 am #

Agreed. I understand not having everything when you go “skinny bundle”. But not having at least one of if the following is a bit much: Viacom, Scripps, Discovery, and Turner. By not having any of them, you are missing the vast majority of channels people are looking for.

I’ve heard people say they supplement Philo with it to make up for the missing channels. But Philo isn’t on Apple TV, so I can’t get it on all my TVs. It also means your service is severely lacking if people have to buy a completely different service to supplement.

28. Bettyjean Downing February 4, 2018 at 11:42 am #

I’m having a lot of trouble with Hulu buffering all the time then freezing up and saying it can’t reload the live show. I only use it for live viewing and I know it’s not my cable because there is NO. Interrupting when I use Netflix or Amazon bu with Hulu the interruption is constant and annoying.
    Any comments- I am thing about switching to Direct TV- I like cable news !

29. Richard Canon February 4, 2018 at 11:48 am #

Philo looks good, offers Discovery History and DVR. But no sports. Would probably have to get Fubo TV to go with it. Directv Now has everything I need but DVR is still iffy.

• existentialObserver February 4, 2018 at 5:26 pm #

Bummer no NatGeo included on Philo.

• Aegius February 5, 2018 at 10:22 am #

Philo intentionally removes sports so it can offer $16 month service.

30. GM February 4, 2018 at 2:54 pm #

Can you add The CW to this table? I’m pretty much waiting to switch over to Hulu Live or YouTube TV until the CW is available live on them in my area.

• topkill February 5, 2018 at 3:19 pm #

That’s exactly what i was looking for. If I can get the CW, then I’m ready to switch.

31. NotMyCombOver February 4, 2018 at 11:28 pm #

If Hulu increased to 3 streams I would give them a try… Otherwise, PS Vue is best for me.

32. Bob Muenchen February 5, 2018 at 9:35 am #

Hulu has Bloomberg, though only on demand.

33. Aegius February 5, 2018 at 10:21 am #

Cord cutting only makes sense if it saves you money. Sling and Philo are perfect for me. I would much rather have PS Vue….but the price begins to approach cable prices.

• Larry A February 5, 2018 at 9:06 pm #

This really points out to me why each of these appeals to different audiences depending on the content they want. I had the exact opposite experience. Sling was a good bit more than PS Vue once I headed up to the tier that offered what I wanted. Great to have choices these days!

34. Larry A February 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm #

While everybody’s priorities differ a bit, I’ve been happy with PS Vue for the past 8 months. Despite a couple of service interruptions that caused the menu structure to be unresponsive across different platforms, It offers the best value for the content I want (Discovery Channel being the toughest, on PS Vue at the $35 tier), live local affiliates being included in my area and DVR is a must. I did just compare video quality between PS Vue and Youtube TV (using Blue Planet II for content, both on a Roku Premiere, both on-demand, not DVR which is stated to have possible differences in streaming quality) and Youtube TV was noticeably “choppier” particularly on pan shots. I notice similar differences while watching sports. That and lack of Amazon Fire support by Youtube TV (and not matching my desired channel lineup as well) and I’ll be cancelling that trial before it ends. Why did I start a Youtube TV trial? The second interruption I’ve noticed on PS Vue was moments before the Super Bowl!!! Service was back fairly soon; I guess that’s the price of rapid growth… Nothing else meets my requirements…yet so with PS Vue I’ll stay.

35. J_Grouchy February 7, 2018 at 5:07 pm #

I’m looking forward to seeing what T-Mobile/Layer3 eventually offer…and how it’s offered (via cable or LTE, etc.). Aside from DVR availability and functionality, I feel like the other biggest concern for me is reliance on ISPs like Comcast or AT&T.

36. Rob Robert February 10, 2018 at 9:41 am #

Sling is the way to go if youre looking for the best channel package at the least cost.