Watching TV, Watching, Living Room, Domestic Life, Smiling

Philo’s CEO Opens Up About New Networks, App Support, & More

Watching TV, Watching, Living Room, Domestic Life, SmilingYesterday FierceCable posted an interview with Andrew McCollum, the CEO of the live TV streaming service Philo.

During the interview a few interesting points jumped out to us, and we wanted to highlight them here.

Philo’s Plans to Add More Networks

One of the most common questions we get is will Philo add more networks. During the interview McCollum said they would love to add more networks such as FX, Nat GEO, and SyFy. Yet at the same time he explained why getting these networks is difficult for Philo. “It is tough because being in those families of networks with sports, news and regional sports, it’s hard to pick and choose,” he said.

In short many of the networks people want are owned by companies like Disney and Fox. Right now their parent companies want to see their networks in a bundle that include sports and news. For Philo this is an issue because they are still determined to keep costs down by not including these networks.

TV Everywhere Apps

Right now Philo does not have access to most network apps, so if you want to watch a show you need to watch it with the Philo app for the most part; however, Philo plans to expand TV everywhere app support. “We got a lot of requests for enabling log ins on TVE apps, which is something that we have planned and had done a lot of the work for but because demand was so strong we’ve tried to accelerate that,” said McCollum.

I’m sure many are wondering what the issue is with having the ability to log in to network apps. We have learned from other streaming services that companies like Philo need to pay extra to offer network app login support. When you only charge $16 a month there is not a lot of room to pay extra for a network, so that is likely a big part of the hold up.

Want to read the full interview? Head over to FierceCable.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

7 Responses to Philo’s CEO Opens Up About New Networks, App Support, & More

1. Wambie January 23, 2018 at 9:16 am #

They will never get Disney without ESPN.

2. Teddy G January 23, 2018 at 10:49 am #

I hope they keep following SLING TV example and resist the network giants’ demands. As SLING TV has demonstrated, there is a market of viewers willing to forgo the Disney and Fox networks for an affordably tv option. It looks like the large networks are determined to replicate the expensive service tiers that are found on traditional cable. If they get away with it, then what will be the point of cord cutting?

3. SS January 23, 2018 at 11:23 am #

During his AMA reddit session, the CEO said they were testing the app login authentication page. I think that’s the only hold up. Philo is like YouTube TV in that they like to test everything to make sure it works perfectly internally before releasing it to the public. They don’t even do public betas but their products are usually smooth compared to DirecTV NOW and Hulu which spend months in beta but they never run out of streaming issues.

I don’t think the app login is a money/deal issue. Viacom, AMC, Discovery and all the networks behind Philo said that they make more money from Philo than they make from other services that favor sports/broadcasts. They are also the biggest shareholders. So, I don’t think making deals is the problem at all.

4. chenriii January 23, 2018 at 11:59 am #

For what it’s worth, if it means saving money I’m happy to forego access to individual channels’ TV Everywhere apps. Instead, I’d rather see Philo expand the number of their skinny bundles. If they were to continue to offer their current skinny entertainment bundle, add SyFy to it, and then add a $5 a month news bundle with the Big Three, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, I’d switch from Vue to Philo in a heartbeat.

5. MVO January 23, 2018 at 7:44 pm #

I really miss the Turner channels that I had with Sling. I hope those are also being considered as future adds.

6. Kel January 24, 2018 at 1:51 am #

I combine Hulu Live TV with Philo and between the two I get all the entertainment channels I want that I got with Sling. There is not much overlap and they have what the other is missing.

• streaming_in_oklahoma January 24, 2018 at 4:57 am #

Doing the same thing, only with Philo & Sling Orange…only $41 (with sling’s dvr). Gives me *almost* everything I want.