PS VUe Esports
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

PlayStation Vue is Adding a New Channel

PlayStation Vue has slowly been expanding by adding new channels and today they are doing it again. Sony’s PlayStation Vue internet TV service later this month will add esportsTV, from competitive-gaming event producer ESL — the first 24-hour linear television network in the U.S. dedicated to the genre.

As the world’s largest eSports company, ESL’s new channel aims to broaden competitive gaming’s appeal by giving gamers access to 24/7 eSports content in the U.S. Since launching in Europe last May, eSports TV has quickly gained a following, finding its way into an impressive 5 million EU households. Unfortunately for eSports fans, the channel is only available with a $54.99 a month PlayStation Vue Elite subscription. Founded in 2000, ESL is owned by Sweden-based digital entertainment group MTG.

“EsportsTV is the perfect complement to the PlayStation Vue offering and represents just another step for eSports as a form of mainstream entertainment,” said ESL executive chairman Steven Roberts.

EsportsTV is being added after Sony’s PlayStation Vue dropped all of Viacom’s channels including Comedy Central, MTV and other networks last fall, with Sony citing poor value, while at the same time adding NBA TV and BBC America. Well EsportsTV may not be the replacement many wanted it does help PlayStation Vue by offering something that their compositors Sling TV and DIRECTV NOW do not.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

27 Responses to PlayStation Vue is Adding a New Channel

Robert Anthony Hartzell April 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm #

Summed it up well. It would have been nice if it was Viceland, the channel we were promised last November. Better yet, don’t stop at Viceland. All of A&E’s channels would have been better.

Gregory Blajian April 12, 2017 at 9:21 pm #

While i too would like to see PS Vue add A+E channels. This addition definitely makes sense for the PlayStation brand.

James Lauseng April 13, 2017 at 1:39 am #

i have the elite slim package EsportsTv is not there

Joseph ewing April 13, 2017 at 6:20 am #

From CC’s article:

“Sony’s PlayStation Vue internet TV service later this month will add esportsTV”

James Lauseng April 13, 2017 at 6:02 pm #

why later this month why not add it now?

Joseph ewing April 14, 2017 at 8:15 am #

I don’t know why they don’t have it “now”. But it’s not unusual for a company to announce a new feature or product before it launches.

The Mobile Phone companies have made a living doing that. Apple does that with all their products; having a large Dog & Pony show months before release to generate interest.

James Lauseng April 13, 2017 at 1:47 am #

B.S i just went to ps vue website and there hasn’t been any new channels added who does cord cutters news think there trying to fool

Richard smith April 13, 2017 at 2:37 am #

compositors, is that competitors, impostors or imposters?

Joseph ewing April 13, 2017 at 6:23 am #

The addition of new channels will likely be applauded by those who subscribe to PS Vue (as I do).

However, be careful what you wish for. This is how Cable started. Slowly adding channels, and then raising rates to support those additions.

Hopefully, history does not repeat itself.

N Schmitt April 13, 2017 at 6:51 am #

I am fairly certain you are correct. This seems to be the same as cable (no contracts yet wait until one does then they will all fall). Although unlike cable we now have to pay an internet bill on top of the TV service and pay for our own device to view it on. Win win for them.

I love PS Vue, but I don’t consider it cord cutting.

Sunny Rain April 13, 2017 at 12:08 pm #

You still had to pay for internet, TV sets, phones, tablets and laptops even with cable. Cable didn’t pay those for you. It’s not like it’s an additional cost.

Also, it is unrealistic that if one company adds contracts, the others would follow. That’s not how competition in business works.

Also, cord-cutting means not needing physical cords / cable / satellite to watch TV. So, saying you don’t consider PS Vue as cord-cutting is contradicting itself.

N Schmitt April 13, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

I will have to agree to disagree.

Sunny Rain April 13, 2017 at 12:27 pm #

I think the term you’re looking for is “a la carte” or some high form of skinny bundles which lets you choose the channels you want as opposed to bundles with dozens of channels you don’t care about. That’s what we all want but I’ve given up on that because it’s the network owners that force the bundling.

vaylen April 13, 2017 at 10:20 am #

Vue loses out to DirecTV Now as long as they don’t carry Comedy Central.

Richard smith April 13, 2017 at 10:39 am #

Direc tv Now looses out to Vue as long as they don’t have a Dvr. Not to mention lack of app access, start over, and on demand.

James Lauseng April 13, 2017 at 5:24 pm #

directv now network app access list is growing everyday over 20+ apps now and expanding

James Lauseng April 13, 2017 at 5:28 pm #

not to mention A&E history channel, tvland, viceland, spiketv, NHL network and all the viacoms

Omen_20 April 19, 2017 at 11:23 am #

Nah, I don’t want to pay for brainless reality tv which is all A&E and History channel are. If it were the old A&E with Biography and History Channel documentaries, then I’d be on board.

Nunya January 18, 2018 at 4:04 pm #

lol A&E and History aren’t all reality TV…

StashMaster July 26, 2017 at 8:34 pm #

I never watch that crap or mtv or any of those viacom channels. I guess it depends on you age and demographic what you like to watch…lol. The BEST thing about Vue is 5 streams. I have TV’s all through my house and they are the only service who can handle my needs in this area.

Bob Johnson April 13, 2017 at 1:19 pm #

I’d much prefer they add NHL Network as I have to think the audience would be much greater than the one for EsportsTV.

BrianH1972 April 13, 2017 at 11:49 pm #

Can anyone explain why the DTVNow “pause” button on Apple TV does not pause? I mean… it does… pause… but when you unpause it bounces back to live tv stream, thus making pause a futile act.

UberCrew April 18, 2017 at 12:16 pm #

Meh. Until they add back the Viacom channels along with adding the A&E & Hallmark channels Vue is not an option for our house. Their prices are way too high as well. Really not much cheaper than Comcast’s pricing here.

Jimmie July 15, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

Exactly every other person on here praising Vue must be smoking something good.

Shane Freeland June 14, 2017 at 6:20 pm #

Lose Viacom and gain a few games of table tennis – not much of a trade-off.

tamaca June 27, 2017 at 3:37 pm #

Just wanted to say that I love Vue. It has worked for me very well. It has all the stations that I need. However I would be ecstatic if they ever add Hallmark

Jimmie July 15, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

They suck if they dont have comedy central