PlayStation Vue Adds The Ability to Restart Some Live TV

It looks like PlayStation Vue just rolled out a very user-friendly update to the Fire TV. Now if you try to start a show that you have recording and has already started you will get the option to start the episode from the beginning or watch it live.

As best we can tell this is only happening for shows you are recording. Unlike Sling TV that will allow it even if you didn’t set up a recording.

Sony also made a change to how the DVR works with the Fire TV. They updated the screen it shows you when you select to watch a recording you had already started. Now you can pick to resume the show or restart it from the beginning. This new update makes PlayStation Vue a much more user-friendly system for subscribers.

Sony has made no statement about this new update and we couldn’t find any other mention of the user interface changes. Yet Sony has a history of rolling up updates like this without making any public announcement.

We are reaching out to Sony for comment to find out more about this update to the PlayStation Vue app and will update this story if we learn more.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

40 Responses to PlayStation Vue Adds The Ability to Restart Some Live TV

1. Brian October 4, 2017 at 1:13 pm #

I’m still with PS Vue all the way. I’ve tested them all and they just keep making all the right updates and the interface is awesome to use.

• Deon Hamner October 4, 2017 at 1:20 pm #

I liked Vue too; but until they bring back those viacom channels, I can’t go back at that price point. Vue has a great user experience. Great on-demand features and dvr. I’ve tried them all except youtube, and Vue has best experience.

• DM725 October 4, 2017 at 9:31 pm #

Comedy Central and MTV are THAT important to you? Other than those channels, they have the best lineup by far.

2. Hoosiermama October 4, 2017 at 1:15 pm #

On many shows, they have a “catch up” feature that will allow you to start shows from the beginning even when not recording. This is a welcome addition to recorded shows, though! We were just talking about this the other night.

3. Lance Panton October 4, 2017 at 1:31 pm #

It’s actually done that for a while, they just didn’t have the screen prompt before. On a program you were recording, you would have to navigate to the bottom of the screen and select the “play from the beginning” left-pointing arrow with the line to the left. There’s no button for it on the Fire TV remote. If you use other remotes, and that button is on there (left pointing arrow with the line), you can do it from a remote. I discovered this by accident. There’s another new feature too with a prompt that gives you more info on channels and shows. I got the prompt for it (as I did the picture and picture), but don’t see actual functions of the feature just yet.

4. Diane U October 4, 2017 at 1:32 pm #

It tickles me when the more expensive services have to catch up with Sling or add Voice controls like my $30 Fire Stick has had since I got it.

• SS October 4, 2017 at 1:33 pm #

The feature has been there since PS Vue launched. And it works on pretty much all shows not just the one you’re recording.

• Diane U October 4, 2017 at 1:39 pm #

Really? Then why announce it like a new feature?

• SS October 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm #

It’s been there since the beginning. Look at their FAQs. Sony doesn’t usually announce every single feature like Sling for fake publicity.

• SS October 4, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

They haven’t announced anything. The author of the article just didn’t know it existed.

• Fred Koot October 4, 2017 at 2:45 pm #

Sling just has catchup on a few channels. Trying a month of Sling probably the worst service out there.

5. SS October 4, 2017 at 1:32 pm #

This feature has been there since the beginning.

• Gilgamesh October 4, 2017 at 4:18 pm #

For anything that is also on demand, yes. The main new part is the prompt.

6. Lance Panton October 4, 2017 at 1:34 pm #

Another thing that I rarely see discussed in forums is that most newer TV’s CAN operate devices plugged into HDMI. It’s called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC). Most post-2014 TVs have that capability, but it’s not activated. You have to jump into your settings to activate it. I did it with one TV and that’s how I discovered the play from the beginning capability (only from programs you’re recording). I was just pushing buttons on my TV remote, and the show suddenly started over. That was months ago.

7. SS October 4, 2017 at 1:41 pm #

Here’s PS Vue FAQ section that mentions the Catch Up feature. it’s been there for years and it works on all devices.

• Fred Koot October 4, 2017 at 2:43 pm #

This article is about recordings, that prompt was never there before

• SS October 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm #

The article title is “PlayStation Vue Adds The Ability to Restart Some Live TV” and nothing in it acknowledges you could always restart live TV. The only thing new here is the prompt.

8. Kyle Salopek October 4, 2017 at 1:43 pm #

This is new. On Fire TV if you start a recording that is also still live and hasn’t finished, it took you to the live portion instead of starting from the beginning of the recording. This happened to me daily until this update was pushed

• SS October 4, 2017 at 1:46 pm #

They may have changed the interface but the feature has always been there.

• Kyle Salopek October 4, 2017 at 1:47 pm #

There was no prompt like this sure. You had to go to the back arrow and hit it quickly before something got spoiled for you potentially. So this is an update in that respect

• SS October 4, 2017 at 1:50 pm #

They only added the prompt on top of the existing feature. If you count the prompt as a feature, then I guess we could say that.

• Kyle Salopek October 4, 2017 at 1:52 pm #

Being in software, the use case has now changed so that is an update 🙂 Also, since there is no chance of you learning who won AGT by accidentally starting the last show 2 minutes before it ends when you wanted to see the whole episode, I consider that an enhancement and an upgrade

• SS October 4, 2017 at 1:54 pm #

Good point. I wish the article could have acknowledged the ability to restart was always there but this adds a prompt.

• Kyle Salopek October 4, 2017 at 2:00 pm #

Now if Fire TV wouldn’t just update the app while I am using it causing it to crash and I have to restart it.

• SS October 4, 2017 at 2:13 pm #

FireTV almost never updates for me timely. It can take days before it picks up an update.

9. Midge October 4, 2017 at 2:26 pm #

I just cut the cord less than 24 hours ago!!! DTV to PSvue. I went all in with the 5 day free trial to make sure. And it seemed to work pretty flawlessly. DTV for 15 years. Paying $150-$175 a month for TV was getting ridiculous. BUT. a HUGE deal breaker.. They need to get NBC local asap. (Minneapolis, MN) I’d trade numerous channels just to get my local feed of NBC. Or at least before the Olympics get here. I’m crossing my fingers. But I’m impressed by the VUE so far. I never thought I’d find something that worked in my house that wasn’t Comcast or DTV. 🙂 Yes. can you tell. I’m excited! LOL

• Iphart October 4, 2017 at 2:58 pm #

At Best Buy if you buy a streaming device they are offering 14-DAY FREE TRIAL OF PLAYSTATION VUE – [Digital Download Add-On].

Can’t believe you were paling that much to DTV. I quit them years ago as soon as my 2 year was up and their offers to stay did not entice me.

• Midge October 5, 2017 at 1:19 pm #

I tried the 5 day trial before I saw the free 14 days. So if anyone wants to try it for 14 days. I can forward you the email. LOL.

• Iphart October 5, 2017 at 1:46 pm #

You can sign up with another email and use the 14 day trial.

• John Mpls October 4, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

Get an antenna. KARE11 comes in crystal clear, for free!

• Midge October 5, 2017 at 1:18 pm #

Yes. I used to do the antenna switch years ago when HD was expensive. But checking what’s on NBC then hitting input to go back to something else is exhausting. 🙂

• thefishhawk October 4, 2017 at 5:28 pm #

Or just add the Sports that month if you don’t already have the Olympics channel. Or you can sign into the NBC Sports app with your PS credentials. You should be fine if they don’t add it before then. All the shows are on VOD which isn’t the greatest since you can’t FF the commercials like the DVR. You should be able to find an app for your local news.

• Midge October 5, 2017 at 1:19 pm #

I tried to sign onto the NBC sports app on Sunday night to watch the football game. It says PS vue subscribers aren’t able to. (different verbiage of course) So I’m not sure what’s up with that.

10. Bob October 4, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

This was already the case with the Roku app. If you highlight the show being recorded and click the * it gives you the option

• thefishhawk October 4, 2017 at 5:17 pm #

thanks for the tip! I hadn’t figured that out yet and it was annoying me having to wait until after the show was over for the DVR recording to show up.

• Darrell Birkey October 9, 2017 at 11:38 pm #

Thanks! That is so much better than I thought it was.

11. DM725 October 4, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

This was already a thing for Android TV. My Mi Boxes and Nvidia Shields have had this a long time. Didn’t realize the Amazon hardware was previously lacking features.

12. Lynnneez October 5, 2017 at 2:21 am #

Strange, I don’t think I have ever run into a situation prior to this when I couldn’t restart a live show, whether I was recording it or not. Also, the supposedly new feature with the option to continue where you left off or start all over seems a bit of a non-feature. It always started where you left off, which makes sense. If you wanted to restart it was literally two clicks (down to show rewind menu and the restart option). Either way though, PS Vue is miles ahead of DTV Now and Sling, which I do enjoy, but would hate it if I had to use it as my main streaming system.

13. Philip Orona October 5, 2017 at 6:54 am #

If this feature is anything like the one already on the PS4. You shouldn’t have to be recording it. Some movies or shows give you the option “watch from beginning”

14. AtlEng October 5, 2017 at 7:08 am #

This is not new. I’ve have Vue for at least 9 months and it’s been available.