PlayStation Vue adds BBC America & NBA TV But Viacom Channels Are Being Dropped

playstation-vue-screenshot-05_1920Today PlayStation Vue announced that they are adding BBC America and NBA TV starting tomorrow, as well as VICE and more local broadcast stations from CBS and Fox coming soon.

Yet there is a catch, starting at 12:01am Eastern Time on November 11, all Viacom-owned networks will no longer be available on PlayStation Vue. This includes channels such as Comedy Central, Spike, and MTV. Sony said they have “determined that removing the bundle of channels from Viacom is the best way for us to continue to offer the most compelling value to our fans”.

From our understanding the following channels are being removed:

Nick Jr.
Comedy Central
TV Land
MTV Live
MTV Classic
Logo TV
CMT Music
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul

Yet there is no change in price:

• Access: 55+ channels, including live cable TV, movies, and sports channels for $29.99 per month ($39.99 in cities with major live local broadcast stations*).
  • Core: 70+ channels, including all the channels from Access with the addition of live national and regional sports networks for $34.99 per month ($44.99 in cities with major live local broadcast stations*).
  • Elite: 100+ channels, featuring all the channels from Core with the addition of top movie and entertainment channels for $44.99 per month ($54.99 in cities with major live local broadcast stations*).
  • Ultra: HBO and SHOWTIME, plus all the 100+ channels from Elite for $64.99 per month ($74.99 per month in cities with major live local broadcast stations*).

Sony went on to add that they “are continuing to add value and flexibility with multiple plan options to choose from, as well as a la carte options such as recent additions of HBO and Cinemax”.

25 Responses to PlayStation Vue adds BBC America & NBA TV But Viacom Channels Are Being Dropped

1. Darnell November 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm #

Smart Trade off there by Sony. I’ve been asking for BBC channels and NBA TV since day one. And don’t watch those Viacom channels much. I can live without them and it’s a good trade off in my opinion, plus more locals coming.

Sony must be gathering data of viewing and adjusting based on that.

• OneOfOne November 8, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

Local channels are easily had with rabbit ears or a real ota antenna on your roof for free

2. Sean Milbrath November 8, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

This is bull, man! I dont care one bit about more useless sports channels. BBC is a nice addition, but not at the expense of Comedy Central and Nickelodeon. Sony needs to get their crap together or they will lose everyone to DirecTV NOW

• OneOfOne November 8, 2016 at 6:14 pm #

You don’t care about sports but many more do. There’s something wrong with you if you watch those crappy Viacom channels anyway unless you’ve got young children

3. ludist210 November 8, 2016 at 4:05 pm #

This is not good for my family. While I do enjoy Comedy Central and Spike, losing them isn’t a big deal to me or my wife…but losing Nick Jr. is killer for my daughter. I am happy to be getting NBA TV and BBC America though. As long as I can get March Madness through the NCAA app, I’ll stick with it.

• crawdad62 November 8, 2016 at 5:07 pm #

“I really wonder if this is Sony’s way of trying to negotiate with Viacom to keep their channels.”

This. It has to be. That’s a lot of channels to lose. I really hope that it’s not a negotiation ploy though. That’s like all the cable and satellite companies pulling channels when negotiating with content providers.

• OneOfOne November 8, 2016 at 6:16 pm #

Viacom owns cbs which has March madness. #fail

• Steve November 9, 2016 at 3:46 am #

Viacom and cbs are separate companies.

• ludist210 November 15, 2016 at 5:04 pm #

No, Viacom and CBS are two separate entities that split a while ago. Plus Turner owns the rest of the networks that March Madness airs on.

4. Earl Dumarest November 8, 2016 at 4:21 pm #

MTV is evil. Happy to see this happen.

5. D. Cole November 8, 2016 at 4:58 pm #

The only one I am really going to miss in tv land. Its the only channel in the bunch that I watch semi regularly. I dont think its right we are losing 20+ channels for 2 channels and our price staying the same. Thats not right Sony!

6. Mir November 8, 2016 at 5:30 pm #

This is frustrating. I just subscribed to Vue on Thursday because there were several MMA and boxing events i wanted to watch this month on spike. Now without warning i wont be able to. This is something a cable company would do.

7. Rich November 8, 2016 at 5:55 pm #

My PERSONAL view:
    MTV Channels – don’t care
    Nickelodeon channels – I will miss this option
    VH1 – I like the Classics version – not the Reality show version
    Comedy Central – Bad move
    Spike – Bad Move
    TV Land – Bad Move
    BET Channels – Not my demographic – Don’t care
    Logo – Don’t care
    CMT Channels – I will miss this option
    Centric – Don’t care
    BBC – Very Good add!
    More NBA….REALLY don’t care
    That’s dropping a LOT of content for a couple adds.
    And no price change? … They better be adding something to take up that slack pretty quick or their service, already a little pricey – will get a lot fewer subscribers.

8. Chuck F. November 8, 2016 at 6:31 pm #

this better be a joke. My kid loves his bubble guppies and paw patrol. Definitely a deal breaker

9. Bruce S. McClure November 8, 2016 at 7:10 pm #

Would love to see MLB Network added! C’mon Sony! LOL

10. Michael Nyitrai November 8, 2016 at 7:38 pm #

Only cared about spike TV but still a bummer to see, if they ever take discovery away I will riot, I really hope directv now has a good lineup with dvr and I’m game

11. gchasse November 9, 2016 at 1:45 am #

I just signed up yesterday, and the one channel I wanted they didn’t have is NBA TV. I don’t care about any of the others. Very happy with this move.

12. donald Wyman November 9, 2016 at 7:06 am #

If this is true then I guess I will have to drop them next month as the nick channels, and comedy Central are deal breakers for me I could care less about NBA tv

13. Jayoriginile November 9, 2016 at 4:24 pm #

Sony this has been the worst year for you all…..cant believe this

14. BeefCherry November 10, 2016 at 6:01 am #

this had better be a negotiating ploy. I just joined 10 days ago.

15. Gordon Sroufe November 11, 2016 at 1:17 pm #

I knew there was a reason for waiting for what Hulu does. I still am.

16. Nanette Shipman November 12, 2016 at 1:51 am #

I feel like they are breaking their contract with us. We carefully looked at the stations available before choosing to go with Vue. Now they are dropping several of the channels we watch the most. And they aren’t even dropping the price! Bad move! I might have to look at Sling now.