Roku Stick 4K

PlayStation Vue is Beta Testing a New Roku Channel With a Grid Guide

Update: Sony just took down their beta channel and added it to the Roku Channel Store. Here is how you can update to the new PlayStation Vue channel on your Roku

Since PlayStation Vue came to Roku the user interface has remained mostly unchanged and without a traditional grid guide. Well, that is all about to change as on their forums a Sony employee announced a new Roku Channel beta. The employee even explains how to add it to your Roku Channel.

Here is what new PlayStation Vue Roku channel looks like:

Here is how you can add the new PlayStation Vue Roku Channel to your Roku Player:

We have an update for the Roku available now that adds several updates, including a Guide. To ensure you have it, please go ahead and complete the following:

1. Log in to roku.com with the account associated with your device. Go ahead and create an account, if you do not have one already
  2. Click on “Hi [your name]” in the header
  3. Under the Manage Account section, click on “Add a Channel”
  4. Enter the following access code into the “Channel access code” textbox and click the “Add Channel” button: KG5NPJR
  5. On your Roku device’s home screen, go to “Settings -> System -> System update” and select the “Check now” button.  You will need to link the device if you factory reset it or if your device is brand new.

Let us know how this works out for you!

You can find the forum post HERE.

Here is a screenshot of the post:

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

33 Responses to PlayStation Vue is Beta Testing a New Roku Channel With a Grid Guide

1. Tina Throne November 2, 2017 at 10:33 am #

This is an awesome step! Just added it and so happy. 🙂

2. Chris November 2, 2017 at 10:39 am #

Finally!!!!

3. AureliusNW November 2, 2017 at 10:39 am #

Big improvement. I was trying out DTV Now, and they have a great guide, but this really makes PSV more attractive, since PSV has a DVR now, not vaporware.

4. bekcat November 2, 2017 at 10:41 am #

SO AWESOME!!!

5. Rucknrun November 2, 2017 at 10:44 am #

It looks great to me! Putting the My Shows link at the top is great.

6. BW Williams November 2, 2017 at 10:54 am #

You actually have to go under “My Account” , Then Manage account and find:
    Add channel with a code – enter KG5NPJR

7. Todd November 2, 2017 at 10:54 am #

The guide was very well done, based on your video. I added it via the website just now and will check it out when I get home. Between this and YouTube TV expanding their device support, I have some decisions to make as to whether I stay with Vue or switch to YTTV.

8. Paul Wenger November 2, 2017 at 11:05 am #

Quick question, I’m not at home and can’t try it out. Does this update the current roku channel or create a new one? Do I have to log out of the old channel and then log in on the new one? Just asking because I have five active screens.

• Rucknrun November 2, 2017 at 11:17 am #

Creates a new one. You get the beta channel.

• mark pettigrew November 2, 2017 at 11:28 am #

You won’t have to sign out of the old app. The five screen limit is for active streams, not devices or apps signed in. (You won’t use the old app anymore. IMHO)

9. Rucknrun November 2, 2017 at 11:05 am #

Interesting thing for me is I requested it on the site. When I checked my box it first forced down version 8 of the Roku software. Then after a reboot I got the new PS Vue app. I wonder if the Roku 8 software is needed.

10. Karl Childers November 2, 2017 at 11:06 am #

Looks like a big improvement over the original guide available on other devices.

11. Kansas Penguin November 2, 2017 at 11:08 am #

I just got it, and it looks great! Honestly, this guide looks better than the guide on the Fire Stick. This is what I have been waiting for!

12. Malignar November 2, 2017 at 11:32 am #

With DTVN ignoring roku with the upcoming dvr and Vue getting a guide…the switch to Vue will be a no brainer.

13. mark pettigrew November 2, 2017 at 11:40 am #

I’ve got a roku3 and stick 2016 and it runs good on both. Slightly clunkier than my fire TV box but better than the fire stick. That horizontal timeline on the guide is a sweet surprise! Good job Vue and Roku!

14. filmex November 2, 2017 at 11:44 am #

Awesome…wow, to see what is on for a full week in advance…sweet!

Now what will all the Roku haters have to complain about?

15. Ja Cam November 2, 2017 at 11:49 am #

All seems right in the world now…

16. Celtics_Junkie November 2, 2017 at 11:51 am #

I think hell must have frozen over! They took so long to update this I dumped my Roku for a Fire TV. Any comments on how the picture quality is on the beta? 60 FPS? As good as the Fire TV box picture quality?

• Fred Koot November 2, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

Can’t say anything about picture till I get home, but it looks like it’s is lacking Explore which I use a lot.

• Celtics_Junkie November 2, 2017 at 12:17 pm #

I’ll greatly appreciate it if you could let me know when you check it out. I don’t know if you’re a sports guy, but if you are you’ll know instantly if the frame rate is 60 or 30.

Too bad about explore. I don’t ever use that myself but it would be nice if every feature made the move over to Roku. What I hope made it (I doubt it) is the quick menu that they have on Fire TV when you long press the menu button.

17. Soyntgo4it November 2, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

People are saying the channel access code is not longer usable??

18. Timothy Embler November 2, 2017 at 12:07 pm #

I missed it. They disabled the code already. Hopefully they launch it soon.

• Michael Smith November 2, 2017 at 12:11 pm #

Update your roku(to receive the version 8) and wait about five minutes then update your roku again (it will update the vue app) and then check it out. Great Job Sony!

• halflifecrysis November 2, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

MIchael are you saying a non beta – real deal update got pushed out?

• Michael Smith November 2, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

Yes I am. The new vue app actually has been in beta testing since early July 2017. Now it’s the real deal.

19. Timothy Embler November 2, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

They pushed the update out. I just updated one of my roku’s and it updated to the new vue channel.

• halflifecrysis November 2, 2017 at 12:29 pm #

A real update to the app or beta?

20. halflifecrysis November 2, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

So I guess I missed it. I’ll be damned, I’ve been harassing them for a year.

21. Nathan John Ganiere November 2, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

CODE is dead but you upgrade firmware on ROKU to 8.0.0 it is part of the channel store now…………they pushed it out officially

22. Brian @chatlegion.com November 2, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

I hate the guide on the Firestick! Did you say the Firestick will be getting this also?

23. TechSupport November 3, 2017 at 4:03 pm #

Why is it so hard for Sony to put the current time on their menus? DTVN has that. At least the Roku interface has gotten better. I always hated having to leave a show to see what else was on. How stupid is that when you didn’t have to do that with Amazon Fire.

24. cag505 November 15, 2017 at 4:31 pm #

Does the new ROKU version with Grid allow the Multi Channel feature?
    watch up to three live channels — all on one screen.
    If so are there instructions?

25. PTTP November 16, 2017 at 7:50 am #

Guide is fine but overall experience is very buggy and slow – especially on My Shows. I hope they resolve soon