Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screen

Updated: PlayStation Vue is Currently Down For Many Subscribers

Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screenAbout an hour ago PlayStation Vue went down according to reports for our readers. The outage seems to be scattered through parts of the Midwest, Northeast, and East coast of the United States.

Update: After being down for about 2 hours PlayStation Vue is coming back online for most subscribers.

Some users are reporting that a stream they started before the outage is still working but they are unable to switch channels:

As best we can tell the issue seems to be with the guide and is preventing users from starting new streams in select parts of the country.

So what happened with all the recent outages?

Recently there has been a rash of outages from several different services. As best we can tell over the weekend what has happened is a rush of new subscribers and unexpected demand in viewership has left streaming services struggling to keep up.

Now streaming services are rushing to expand compacity to handle the demand. Why is it so slow in the day and age of on-demand hosting? Security is a big part of it. The contracts streaming companies have with the content providers don’t allow them to just put the content on any old server. These servers must be secure with a secure connection to prevent pirate streams coming from them.

So why this outage? Well at this time we are unsure it is very possible that it was a physical hardware failure or some software glitch. Knowing Sony we likely will never find out what happened.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

20 Responses to Updated: PlayStation Vue is Currently Down For Many Subscribers

1. jsward12 January 22, 2018 at 8:44 pm #

Down in Massachusetts, this happened late last week as well (Thurs)

• MJ January 22, 2018 at 8:46 pm #

Working fine for me. North of Boston

2. Carl Collie January 22, 2018 at 8:45 pm #

No issues in Raleigh, NC so not sure why some are affected and others not.

3. Danny Hensley January 22, 2018 at 8:46 pm #

Having issues in Charlotte NC…I can watch live TV but can’t access any shows on the “cloud DVR”

4. Wambie January 22, 2018 at 8:49 pm #

Working here in Saginaw. Weird that it’s not working in Detroit. I’ve been having no issues post holidays here. Especially after I unplugged my Chromecast.

5. Bill Hendershot January 22, 2018 at 8:50 pm #

Was down in NJ now back up.The buffering has been awful the past 3 days. I have 100mps internet hard wired. Seems to be getting worse everyday instead of better. Sucks,cause I really like Vue.

• TechSupport January 22, 2018 at 9:35 pm #

Mine went down but I haven’t had any buffering whatsoever in a very long time. I am also on 100mb.

• Bill Hendershot January 22, 2018 at 9:57 pm #

Seems to be mostly on fox news. Weird.

• TechSupport January 22, 2018 at 10:45 pm #

With all the stuff going on it could be a lot of traffic. Busy news day.

6. John Brewton January 22, 2018 at 8:54 pm #

Atlanta – On Roku, Guide not loading, but all other features work (Live, My Shows, DVR, On demand, Channels)

7. TaiPeng January 22, 2018 at 9:48 pm #

Why are these services so incompetent at determining demand? They never anticipate that people want to stream. Who wants to be tied to a contract and a cable box anymore?

• Fred Koot January 23, 2018 at 8:02 am #

Yeah, like cable has never gone out

• Nathan John Ganiere January 23, 2018 at 10:03 am #

yeah, LOL, these services will all go out at times as demand increases, just deal with it, you’re mostly likely saving money anyhow and it’s still better than satellite and more reliable in my opinion here in the Midwest

• Lowspark January 23, 2018 at 10:12 am #

Yeah, cable does go out occasionally, but not near as often as PS Vue. Sony servers have serious issues keeping up with demand during peak times for must see live TV events. My way of dealing with this is to have a back up plan in place such as an antenna for OTA if available, or having one of the network apps ready to go. I’ve been burned too many times watching live sports and having PS Vue freeze. I put up with it though because it is cheaper than cable.

8. Gary Combs January 22, 2018 at 9:52 pm #

It’s back up for me in Georgia.

9. Mike Blakeslee January 22, 2018 at 11:17 pm #

Hmm. Never even had any problems here in South Jersey….
    ***✊ ON WOOD***

10. bbock January 23, 2018 at 12:02 am #

I’ve been having a lot of DVR problems with them with the stream skipping.

11. Robert Simandl January 23, 2018 at 8:09 am #

Seemed to be okay in St. Louis last night, though when I fired it up it was on E!, a channel I never watch. Had no problem bringing up channels I do watch, though.

12. Barry January 23, 2018 at 10:07 am #

Playstation Vue keeps crashing the last week on my new amazon fire tv stick. It’s getting old fast. UI is not great either. Will try Directv as soon as they have a DVR feature for all users.

13. chenriii January 23, 2018 at 12:04 pm #

For what it’s worth, all normal in NYC. Guide Access, channel switching, Fox News, DVR’ed shows, all coming in normally. Mind you, I slept late, and didn’t turn it on until around 11AM Eastern, so I might have missed all the fun.