Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screen

PlayStation Vue is Dropping Some Local FOX Affiliates

Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screenLast night PlayStation Vue started to notify subscribers that many FOX affiliates are being dropped from the service. As best we can tell all Tribune-owned Fox affiliates are being removed from PlayStation Vue effective immediately after Sony was “unable to come to an agreement on terms” with Tribune.

“On 12/15/2017, your local FOX broadcast channel is no longer available live on PlayStation Vue. The channel is now FOX On Demand, and includes a library of current national programming from the Fox Channel, available to you anytime in an On Demand format.” Sony said in an email to PlayStation Vue subscribers.

Sony went on to say:

“We always strive to provide the best value and experience for our customers. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we were unable to come to an agreement on terms with the station group for live coverage of this FOX station.”

According to Tribune, they own 14 Fox affiliates around the United States including several major markets. This marks the first time a local affiliate has been dropped from a live TV streaming service over a contract dispute.

It is very possible that just like with blackouts on cable in the past that Sony and Tribune will quickly work out the issue and these FOX affiliates will return to PlayStation Vue in the next few week. For now, though we will have to wait and see what happens.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

45 Responses to PlayStation Vue is Dropping Some Local FOX Affiliates

1. KRB December 16, 2017 at 7:55 am #

You see, this is why I put an antenna in my attic. I realize that some folks don’t have that ability, but I just got tired of being held hostage when two large companies couldn’t agree and kept getting their underwear bunched as a result. Just the other day my ABC affiliate (Dallas) was going on about such a thing with Dish and I laughed and reminisced about the bad old days when I might’ve actually been worried…

• Scott Blanchard December 16, 2017 at 10:23 am #

The venerable OTA antenna continues to prove its worth. Hoping that 2018 becomes the year that we finally see more and more device makers integrating incoming OTA signals into app interfaces. The Roku TVs and Amazon Fire TV editions are pioneering this, but we should see more devices embrace it. Channel Master Stream being one example we’ll see come January.

If Apple were to build an ATSC 3 chip into an apple TV, it would be a game changer for their TV app. The chip is the size of a postage stamp and thinner than a dime.

2. Fred Koot December 16, 2017 at 8:19 am #

Welcome to the world of television greed. Someone has to pay for Rodger Goodell ‘s new contract

• Respected Citizen December 16, 2017 at 11:36 am #

That over-1-billion-dollars-per-year deal for Thursday Night Fooball paid for Goodell’s contract.

3. jwigley24 December 16, 2017 at 8:39 am #

yep, here in the cleveland/akron area, FOX is now on-demand as of yesterday. oh well, out the local channels, that’s the one i’d watch the least anyway, but hopefully it comes back…

4. Cinnie Maer Crockett December 16, 2017 at 9:38 am #

Fox 31 live will be gone as of 12/15/17 in the Denver area. Fortunately I have an indoor antenna. I don’t watch this station much except for some NFL football games. However, always nice as a backup when the weather causes disruptions. Since this is a contract dispute issue, hopefully this will be resolved in the future and Fox live will be back. ??

• Darrell Birkey December 17, 2017 at 11:01 am #

That usually happens. During such a dispute, since the contract has run out, vue no longer has carriage rights. If they come to an agreement the channel comes back.
      Back the 70′-80’s the local TV channels demanded that the FCC require cable companies to carry their channels, so they had to carry them. Forcing the cable companies to carry the channels lead to customers expecting those channels to be on cable… and then getting rid of their antennas.
      Then when most people no longer have antennas, the local channels switched their tactics and demanded to be paid by the cable companies for free channels that the FCC had previously forced them to carry.
      Many of the channels were owned by larger companies that created new cable channels, so they extorted the cable companies and said if you want to keep carrying our local channel, you have to pay for it… and you have to carry our new cable channel and pay us for that.
      Of course each new contract means the cable companies have to pay higher costs which in turn have to be passed on to their customers to carry new channels they wouldn’t have chosen to carry.
      Each time the local contract expires some local channels try to extort higher prices from the cable companies, even though their audiences keep going down.
      At some point, the cable company, Dish, Directv, Playstation Vue says “no, we won’t pay that price.” and the local channel starts a smear campaign about how the evil cable company is taking away the channel from the customers.

5. Barbara Pelletier Wallace December 16, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Perhaps you should have mentioned that these stations are in transition since they are being sold and close to approval by DOJ to Sinclair. Hard to reach an agreement with Tribune when they are almost no longer the owners. Perhaps the talks needed to be postponed until Sinclair becomes the owner of record.

6. TaiPeng December 16, 2017 at 10:09 am #

PS Vue sucks constantly losing channels. They will die in 2018 hopefully. Too expensive.

• Darrell Birkey December 17, 2017 at 11:05 am #

The also add stations and are a much better value than cable or dish.

• chenriii December 18, 2017 at 10:42 am #

They are also the only service with commercial-free DVR and all three of the news channels, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. Hulu comes closest, but you need to spend an extra $15 a month to get rid of the commercials on the DVR recordings. DirecTV Now has an even better channel line-up but, unfortunately, still no DVR.

• Kevin Jordan December 19, 2017 at 9:42 am #

You can skip commercials in YouTube TV also, but that definitely doesn’t have as big of a market right now as any of the others.

• chenriii December 19, 2017 at 11:47 am #

Understood but that’s not actually what I said. What I said was that Vue was the only service where you could skip commercials AND WATCH ALL THREE OF THE NEWS CHANNELS. Youtube TV doesn’t have CNN.

• Chris Morrison December 22, 2017 at 4:28 am #

Only streaming service I can find with the Science Channel.

• Tom Austen December 18, 2017 at 12:11 pm #

In another thread, Luke Bouma reports that NBC affiliates have just been added to Vue in several markets. This is the latest in a series of updates he’s provided on Vue’s local channel coverage. Nearly all of the cable channels that were lost on Vue over the past year due to contract/money disputes have been replaced.

Another lie that gets repeated is that Sony “keeps raising prices.” There’s only been ONE increase, and it only affected certain customers.

• Darrell Birkey December 19, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

It’s the best deal for that channels I want, so I’m a fan. 🙂

I really like the 28 day unlimited cloud dvr. MLB Network is a must carry for me… but of course not for everyone. In a competitive market none of the services are perfect for eveyone… but all I need is what is best for me.

7. Daniel Darnell December 16, 2017 at 10:37 am #

This is nothing new for Sony. They are always dropping channels, changing the lineup, or jacking up prices. They are exactly like a cable company now in how they treat their customers and the constant change and price increases etc…

8. southhendo December 16, 2017 at 10:38 am #

Yup, dropped in Seattle area. Very disappointing, especially just adding the local NBC, bringing us up to 3 of 4 locals. But, sounds like it’s the age-old thing with cable/satellite companies and certain networks, so I’m sure it’ll be worked out.

• Scott Blanchard December 16, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

Thanks for the confirm. Updated the list.

9. Darrell Birkey December 16, 2017 at 10:44 am #

I have Playstation Vue on my Roku player. The Plex server channel on Roku now allows me to watch live OTA or record as a DVR. This is so much better than cable or satellite.

10. zimmuze41 December 16, 2017 at 11:02 am #

Yep, Hartford is gone. I’ve gotten used to not having m local ABC which ended my NBA playoff viewing (which I didn’t really miss), so maybe this will be the death call for me watching NFL games too. When I dropped my DISH account after 15 years, I worried about dropping local news, sports, and a handful of shows. Now, I only really use VUE for sports watching mostly Netflix and Amazon. $500/yr is a lot to spend on a service that’s rarely used. My old OTA antenna will get me the NFL games I really care about on FOX, but once Sunday afternoons get filled with other things, it’s possible that VUE will go too. I would love a cheap, easy to install OTA DVR with about 10 hrs of HD storage. Just enough to record a game or two.

11. HeyRadar December 16, 2017 at 11:30 am #

This is why we need to abandon the “local station” and focus on national ABC, NBC, FOX, etc. feeds.

I could care less about my local programming being tied to a national channel.

If I want to see my local news, they have streaming apps.

• Barbara R December 17, 2017 at 9:05 am #

It’s not just local news. I believe (am I right?) that without your local station you can’t see the network itself “live.” That’s why Sling and others offer only on-demand for networks if they don’t have the local station where you live. So — if I’m right — without the local affiliate you don’t get the network itself.

• Tom Austen December 18, 2017 at 11:13 am #

You’re correct. Without locals, the broadcast network programs are only available on demand.

12. Respected Citizen December 16, 2017 at 11:43 am #

Denver, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Seattle, SLC, Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, San Diego, Sacramento,
    Hartford, York PA, Grand Rapids MI, Winston-Salem NC, Fort Collins CO

Vue news is usually bad.

• chenriii December 18, 2017 at 10:39 am #

That’s odd. The article says 14 but you have a list of 15.

• Respected Citizen December 18, 2017 at 10:56 am #

Fort Collins has a translator of the Denver station, but Denver is 60 miles away. You can ignore FC if you like.

• chenriii December 18, 2017 at 11:39 am #

Understood, thanks. Academic for me, fortunately, since my New York affiliate is not going away. Still hoping PBS shows up on Vue.

13. Al December 16, 2017 at 12:34 pm #

Dropped in my area too (Hartford). Looking at options to PS Vue now. Price went up, selection went down … not a formula for success!

14. Robert Kellner December 16, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

I decided just before it got snowy to go with PS Vue after deciding to drop cable. Where we are, antenna needs to be above the roof. Now there’s ice and snow on the roof. This makes putting up an antenna both less safe and less convenient. Thanks Tribune and Vue. *slow clap*

I’d have waited until the end of the football season if I knew this was going to be an issue. In the Milwaukee area winter school/business closings are common, and not all notify multiple local stations. Some only notify FOX 6. *grumble* May end up putting up that antenna in the spring.

• Darrell Birkey December 17, 2017 at 11:04 am #

I actually got a couple of spring clamps and attached my antenna to my deck railing until the warm weather comes and i can put it on the roof. I live in Iola, WI and get all the Green Bay stations.

• David Mennenoh December 19, 2017 at 3:56 pm #

Mohu Leaf Antenna works for me in Waukesha from inside my living room. Perfect picture watching Packers the other day…

15. BloodLust December 16, 2017 at 9:52 pm #

Does Vue actually keep anything? Lord knows they sure don’t add any channels. Funny how the price still goes up!

• Barbara Pelletier Wallace December 17, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

Well they did just add all 3 Hallmark channels.

• Tom Austen December 18, 2017 at 11:10 am #

In addition to Hallmark, Sony added several sports channels as well as some general entertainment channels over the past year. I wish I had kept track of all of them. Virtually all of the channels that were lost over contract/money disputes have been replaced.

• Kevin Jordan December 18, 2017 at 9:33 pm #

Those are something I could have done without.

• Barbara Pelletier Wallace December 19, 2017 at 8:03 am #

You’re welcome to your opinion, but many people love these channels as much as many people love the sports channels.

• Kevin Jordan December 19, 2017 at 9:40 am #

They definitely could do a better job of doing channel bundles so that way they don’t have to keep dropping locals or other channels to accommodate new channels like the Hallmark channel. Same thing could apply to some sports channels, I definitely don’t need all of them as I’m not that much into sports and rarely do the teams I follow appear on ESPN and the like.

16. LeftAlphaBeast December 16, 2017 at 10:36 pm #

and THIS s why I cancelled and refused to pay $10 more so others could have local channels and not me. The extra was not for more service, just a greedy price hike. I like philo.com

17. Tony Flores December 18, 2017 at 2:33 pm #

Losing Fox 2 in STL is a big deal, my wife likes the convenience of having PSV with a DVR for her fav Fox TV shows. that combined w/ my Ultra Slim grandfathered promo rate being discontinued, i think it’s time to change providers

• David Mennenoh December 19, 2017 at 3:55 pm #

Problem is there is no better. Sling doesn’t come close to Vue. Maybe DirectTV but I have to check it out… pissed about losing Fox too – am in Milwaukee. Hope it gets worked out… using antenna for now.