Family watching TV

PlayStation Vue is Once Again Giving Away FREE Upgrades to Their Elite Package

Once again, PlayStation Vue is giving away free upgrades to its Elite package but don’t expect an email telling you that you got the upgrade. Several readers today told Cord Cutters News that they just suddenly saw a ton of additional channels in their PlayStation Vue app. This is not the first time that Sony has given away free upgrades to their Elite package as they have a history of handing out random upgrades running from a weekend to 6 months in length.

This upgrade will give lucky PlayStation Vue subscribers access to the $54.99 a month Elite plan that includes 90-plus HD channels. After the free upgrade ends, subscribers will automatically be returned to the plan they had before the free upgrade. According to our readers, the upgrade to the Elite package will end in July 2018.

Sony still has not commented on how it is picking which PlayStation Vue subscribers will get the upgrade. For now the selection seems to be almost at random because we first suspected that former Slim subscribers got the upgrade in exchange for the upcoming price hike; however, other readers say they already pay the higher price and still got the free upgrade.

If you want to find out if you got the upgrade and how long it will last log into your account and look at your account settings.

27 Responses to PlayStation Vue is Once Again Giving Away FREE Upgrades to Their Elite Package

1. Duelingdragon January 29, 2018 at 11:04 am #

I thought the Elite plan was $54.99?

2. Teddy G January 29, 2018 at 11:27 am #

Nice. Thanks Sony. 👍👍https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/1c4b5809d3959ec6170bcc5d677e3f356587a249b75caff419c13667d7ea28ef.jpg

3. TaiPeng January 29, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

They have the fewest channels for the most money and they keep dropping channels from the bottom tier. They just aren’t price competative enough anymore for me. I get a better deal with YouTube TV or DTVN.

• Deon Hamner January 29, 2018 at 2:11 pm #

Couldn’t agree more. I liked them but too many changes for me. Sling has worked great for me.

• TechSupport January 29, 2018 at 2:23 pm #

Please explain or show proof because I don’t see it. The only service that seems to have a selection for the best price is DTVN but they don’t have DVR. Everyone else seems to have similar selections.

• Dean G January 29, 2018 at 4:51 pm #

Sigh, we all know you don’t like Vue, you never miss an opportunity to tell everyone. The problem with your reasons is 99.9% of the time they are wrong. Yes DTVN, the one with the blue square of death and a lot of nonsense channels that makes it appear they give you more. Youtube TV, yes because casting is the wave of the future with very few channel selection, LOL. Do be quiet already

• Suny January 29, 2018 at 9:10 pm #

For us it’s not about a wide selection, but the channels DH wants and he’s still happy with it.
      Who really cares if they have tons of channels, but you only watch a few? That’s like being back with DirecTV.

• TaiPeng January 31, 2018 at 11:07 pm #

Who is DH?

• Suny February 1, 2018 at 12:58 am #

shorthand for family members. DH is Dear Husband. DS is Dear Son, DD is Dear Daughter, FIL is Father in law etc.

4. Chris K. January 29, 2018 at 3:52 pm #

…to everyone but me, apparently!

5. stumpy579 January 29, 2018 at 5:13 pm #

I didn’t get it and I know why. In December I was notified I was losing my slim plan and my price would go up by $10 even though I did not get my locals. I responded by cancelling the $10 sports add on. No free upgrade for me. Vue is still the best option for me but they have built no loyalty with me. Something equivalent or better comes along I will remember.

• John Burgess January 29, 2018 at 8:34 pm #

left them myself over that…and they still do not have one local in my area. after giving dtvn and sling a try… i went to suppose tv and put in the channels i wanted. turns out philo and fubo fit the bill. the only sports requirement l had was nfl network.

so, get some channels psvue does not have for the same price. plus i am not rewarding vue for jacking the price up $10 and not even giving me one local.

6. Michael Bujak January 29, 2018 at 6:49 pm #

I got this extension for the second time.

7. Larry Kosch January 29, 2018 at 10:19 pm #

I didn’t get it either

8. Mike January 29, 2018 at 11:10 pm #

Just discovered we received the free 180 day upgrade to Elite. To be honest, the last thing I want is extra channels. It’s like going backwards. Sony’s making the same mistake the Cable companies did. More doesn’t mean better.

9. BW Williams January 30, 2018 at 9:49 am #

Mmmmm, so far I have not received this free upgrade….

10. Kevin S January 30, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

Didn’t get it. Don’t worry Sony, I’ll let you know what I feel about it by leaving when YouTube TV gets their Roku app done.

11. David Brown January 30, 2018 at 8:04 pm #

Yup. Subscribed at Access level, got the previous free Elite upgrade which just ran out last week, now have another 180 day free Elite upgrade. Only thing I can figure is it’s compensation for still having 0 locals available despite our ranking as the 43rd largest market.

12. Darren Thibodaux January 30, 2018 at 10:10 pm #

Access just lost more channels. DIY, Hallmark channels, Epix movies, FXM. Time to move on for me.

13. chenriii January 31, 2018 at 11:20 am #

Well, they tried to give me the upgrade, but it looks like they screwed up. All the additional channels showed up in my browser interface, and I can watch them live no problem. But they don’t show up in any Guide and when I got to the My Channels page, they’re there but the link to their programming doesn’t work. Which means I can only watch them live; I can’t program DVR recordings.

In addition, there is no sign of these additional channels on my Fire TV or my Android phone (which I sometimes use in conjunction with my ChromeCast if I want to switch quickly back and forth between two channels (the Fire TV still doesn’t have picture-in-picture)).

I contacted support back on January 1st when I got this “upgrade” and they said they’d get right back to me. Nothing further, crickets, and the situation is unchanged a month later. They have an excellent service but their “support” is a pathetic joke.

14. greg February 1, 2018 at 11:51 am #

wow, i was checking to see why my 6 month free upgrade had not ended as scheduled only to find i have another 6 month free upgrade.

Thanks again Sony.

I do not regret cutting the cord at all. Between OTA TIVO and Sony VUE i will never be a customer of Comcast or in fact any service that tried to force me to have big ugly boxes all around my house and then charges me for it?
    Thanks for the bump Sony Vue…

• Chris February 2, 2018 at 5:07 pm #

Same thing happened for me. 🙂

15. Yamagushi February 2, 2018 at 4:21 am #

I got the full 6 months again. One thing that might be relevant, I always fill out the surveys they email that say you could win $1000 or whatever.

16. Chris February 2, 2018 at 5:06 pm #

This is the second 6 month upgrade I’ve received in a row.I must be lucky. 🙂

17. zimmuze41 February 3, 2018 at 12:43 pm #

Pleasantly surprised too – a few channels I’ll definitely watch, but I would really prefer local ABC & Fox channels. Hartford, CT used to have Fox – never ABC. Fox is close enough to pull in OTA, but ABC is too far without attic or rooftop antenna. I can watch the US Open on the Golf Channel now with the free upgrade . . . until Saturday and Sunday when it actually matters. I can watch all the coverage of the NBA finals on NBA tv, but . . . can’t actually watch the games. That’s why locals matter to me.

Thanks to SONY nonetheless! Loved Vue thus far.

18. BIGJUNE801 February 7, 2018 at 5:07 pm #

I get this email saying that their giving 6 months free, then I get another email a week later saying to make sure I have money in my wallet? What the heck, I am guessing it is an automated message but correct your software. Anyone seen this???