Orioles-Tigers-Baseball
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

PlayStation Vue is Looking at Lowering Their Price & Adding The MLB Network

Orioles-Tigers-BaseballPlayStation Vue recently lost access to Viacom channels that resulted in the loss of many popular channels such as Spike, Comedy Central, and MTV. Now it seems like they may be working on countering the growing number of unhappy subscribers by dropping their price.

One of Cord Cutters News’ readers recently sent us a copy of a survey they received from Sony, the owners of PlayStation Vue. The survey asked if dropping the price $5, $10, or $15 a month would make him more willing to continue to subscribe.

15134808_10207105041736306_8229624255065923209_nIt also asked if adding new channels such as the MLB Network and A&E-owned channels such as the History Channel to their lineup would keep him subscribing.

How serious are they about this survey? They are somewhat likely to drop their price. It is unlikely that they will drop their price by $15 or even $10 but it is very likely they will drop the price by $5.

It is also likely that PlayStation Vue is looking at adding the MLB Network. So why is this likely? Services are always reconsidering their lineup and price point. There is also the fact that this survey is new and different from past surveys they have sent out to their subscribers.

It would be good timing for Sony to drop the price of their PlayStation Vue service. DirecTV Now is coming out soon and add in the loss of the Viacom channels.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

33 Responses to PlayStation Vue is Looking at Lowering Their Price & Adding The MLB Network

paul November 25, 2016 at 8:52 am #

think they need an all sports package only?

oldhickorytony November 25, 2016 at 9:24 am #

Must have missed my Sony email. History Channel and associated channels would be a good get. I’d be more likely to stay

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 11:15 am #

I had Sling TV for 4 months. There are some things that are ok with it, but they fail (and fail hard) with the most important thing. Picture quality.

Sling TV’s picture quality is garbage compared to Vue.

Matt November 25, 2016 at 12:46 pm #

I’ve had both Vue and Sling and the picture quality was exactly the same. Did you change the default picture quality in Sling’s settings to the HD? If so, it could be the quality varies according to the area you’re in, never had a problem with their service.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

Yeah, I had the Sling set for HD.

Actually, you are the first person I have seen say they didn’t see a difference in picture quality between the 2.

Maybe your Vue service wasn’t streaming properly and it wasn’t coming across as sharp and clear as it does for me.

Matt November 25, 2016 at 1:39 pm #

Vue was streaming properly, both had great, clear picture quality but in my area Vue costs more since they include local channels with the packages. I shouldn’t have to pay more for channels I already get for free over the air. The higher price combined with the number of channels not included (some of which I do like to watch) was why I dropped Vue.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm #

Not everyone can get the locals OTA in their areas. I pay the higher rate for Vue due to locals and it is a better deal than Sling TV.

The $20 a month package for Sling is really only for people who watch a very limited number of channels. Very limited. And only 1 stream, so no families.

davehuze November 25, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

Now without the loss of the Viacom channels and the added competition I would expect to see Sony drop down the price $5 or $10. That would bring their Elite (slim) plan down to $39.99 or $34,99 which would position them to compete with DTV Now. They will have fewer channels (90 vs 100?) but they will still have other advantages that would appeal to consumers like the DVR, 5 streams, and CBS (in 28 markets). I am in the Philly suburbs and have no issue paying the extra $10 for all the locals because OTA was impossible in my area. I understand why people would resent paying the $10 if you can receive the locals OTA but Vue really only charges this fee in the few markets where they carry four or more locals. One of Vue’s unadvertised advantages is their credentials work on virtually every TV app like they do with a regular cable company. I don’t know how it is now but when I had Sling earlier this year, their credentials only worked on four or five tv apps.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 4:20 pm #

I am in Delaware, so like you, I had no way of getting the locals OTA (Philly is my local), so it was great for me, too.

The ability to use your Vue credentials on Fire TV, Roku, Android, etc etc is a plus that a lot of people overlook. Some of the apps are amazing and offer so much than the VOD section on Sling or Vue offer. TCM’s Fire TV app is a perfect example. Sling TV has no clout and their credentials work only on ESPN still, I believe.

Iacobus November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

I seem to recall Sling TV’s resolution just as good as PS Vue’s. (Don’t they both do about 5 Mbps?) I’m presently a PS Vue subscriber.

SFN TV Now aced them both. (I had a stream topping out at 12 Mbps.) They’re not nationwide anymore, though.

In any case, I’m not sure I care too much about resolution. Comcast hasn’t implemented their bandwidth caps in my neck of the woods yet but it’s just a matter of time. I topped 1.9 TB one month while I was using SFN TV Now. I’d rather keep a lid on it before Comcast strikes.

Actually, I’d love the ability to control the stream like I could with Sling. Don’t know why Sony hasn’t implemented it.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 3:27 pm #

The problem is that Sling TV’s stream rate is inconsistent. You can monitor it and see it sometimes coming in at under 1.

The only time I EVER got a fluctuation in streaming like that was Sling..no other service or program ever had that issue.

Iacobus November 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm #

True, true; I did watch the last season’s Walking Dead premiere once and it was all over the place. (I’m guessing because of the absolute crush the servers were experiencing for the premiere.)

Though I have to admit: PS Vue’s wasn’t faring any better with this season’s premiere; it was basically unwatchable on my Roku with “loading, please wait” messages. Something all the OTT services have to work on, I guess.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 4:16 pm #

I often wonder how many times the cable companies who are also the internet providers have done little “tweaks” to streams from OTT services just to annoy their customers. We all remember when they were caught messing with Netlflix’s feed..lol

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 3:29 pm #

And yes, SFN TV Now had real potential before they pulled back.

And they even had the Weather Channel…lol

vikings football November 25, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

i have sling for over a year, picture quality is great on all the chnnels i watch..tried vue and constant buffering on some of favorite channels. the thing that keeps me with sking is that i can watch sling anywhere away from home and have access to every single channel…with vue, it says restricted LOL

Dean Stibbs November 26, 2016 at 4:58 am #

Never had a single buffering issue on Vue. Always had buffering issues with Sling

oldhickorytony November 25, 2016 at 1:25 pm #

Agreed

FREETELEVISION November 25, 2016 at 10:01 am #

Break sports out and charge those who want sports $5 or whatever extra. Lower the base price for those of us who would rather watch the grass grow, than watch sports.

Matt November 25, 2016 at 12:41 pm #

Agreed, how many more sports channels can they possibly add? Not everyone watches sports 24/7. They’re missing too many popular channels to make it worth the price they’re charging and all those channels are available on Sling for less.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

How do you figure?

I pay $44.99 for Vue, I get all the channels I could possibly want plus I get a DVR and my locals for ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox (I can’t get signal for OTA in my area) and I get CSN Philly. The only channel I don’t get that I wish they would add is History channel, but then again, that station is going downhill quick. I also have multi-stream for all of them.

With Sling TV, to get even HALF the channels I want, I had to have Orange plus Blue for $40…my only locals were Fox and NBC. No DVR. Inferior picture. To get TCM, Sundance and IFC it was an add-on that jacked the cost up to $45 bucks. Disney/ESPN only single stream, btw.

Other channels missing for me from Sling TV include Discovery, Destination America, Fox News, Science Channel. I deem those more important than Viacom channels. BTW, the Viacom channels are spread across multiple add-on packages with Sling, so your cost keeps going up to add them.

Matt November 25, 2016 at 1:51 pm #

Different strokes as they say, for $30 I get the channels I want with Sling plus local channels at no extra cost. I don’t really need the local channels but unlike Vue, I don’t have to pay extra for them. I can do without the DVR since the shows I watch are available on demand and like I said, my picture quality has been consistently good and no different than that of Vue.

I’d rather save money and get the channels I watch, that’s why Sling works for me. I’ll try out the DirecTV and Hulu OTT services when they launch and if they can do better maybe I’ll stick with them. What works for one person might not work for another and vise versa, that’s why we have options.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 2:03 pm #

Agree..different strokes for different folks. My point was that you made a statement about the pricing structure that wasn’t really accurate.

Matt November 25, 2016 at 2:52 pm #

Price points for Vue vary according to the area you live in. In my area the basic package starts at $40 because we’re paying for the inclusion of local channels whether we want them or not. I understand that might be useful if you live in an area where reception isn’t good but local channels should be provided as an add-on option since not everyone needs them. With their lack of Viacom and A&E networks, Vue’s packages are not much of a deal.

Sling’s prices are the same regardless of what area you live in and don’t charge extra for the couple of local channels included. I have the $25 package plus one add on which totals $30 and has all the A&E and Viacom channels Vue lacks.

I’m not saying Vue is a bad service, it’s great if you like their channel line-up and live in an area where you’re not being forced to pay more for free local channels, but it’s not for me.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 4:10 pm #

The Vue prices only vary by whether they offer a certain # of locals in that. If they do, it is an additional cost of $10.

$25 Sling package has no Disney or ESPN..which are two of the most popular channels out there. Especially ESPN. So you can’t say Sling offers more channels for less, like in OP. Sling offers LESS channels for LESS, that you can say..or Sling offers more channels YOU like for less.

But your comment of “They’re missing too many popular channels to make it worth the price they’re charging and all those channels are available on Sling for less.” is 100% inaccurate..especially when you are basing it off a package without ESPN/Disney..which whether you like them or not, they are FAR more popular than any Viacom station and ESPN is one of the, if not the, most requested channel ever.

Matt November 25, 2016 at 5:27 pm #

Yes, that’s what I said initially; Sling has the channels I watch for less, I didn’t say it’s for everyone but then again neither is Vue.

I don’t watch Disney or ESPN and don’t have many friends who do, in regards to sports they prefer coverage from other networks and most of their kids are too old for Disney so again, it all depends on the tastes of the individual viewer. And yes, I’m aware the Sling $25 package doesn’t offer either but their $20 has both and again, I have no use for them so that’s why I have the $25 package. I don’t pay for what I don’t need which is why I won’t give Vue $10 for channels I already get for free, over the air.

Sling’s $25 package comes with 40 channels, with a $5 add-on I get 47 channels I want to watch all for a total of $30. Vue starts at $40 for 45 channels but 5 of those channels are local channels I can get over the air so how am I paying LESS for LESS? If someone wants Disney and ESPN they can get the $20 package or for $40 (same as Vue) get both base packages.

Regardless of how popular Disney and ESPN are people are going to want more than just those two channels as a selling point for their money. Sony isn’t toying with the idea of dropping prices because they love their customers, they’re doing it because they are trying to keep people from canceling and with more competition on the way, all of which claim they will have the same channels and more at a lower price point, they’re going to have to do better than a $5 price drop.

As I said, I’m just offering a different point of view on OTT services since I’ve noticed most pro-Vue who comment on here make the service out to be the best thing ever when in reality ALL services have their pros and cons. You can argue about which is best all you want but ultimately people will make up their own mind based on their individual needs. Have a good evening.

Dean Stibbs November 26, 2016 at 4:55 am #

Yeah, not arguing about who is the best, just trying to make sure the correct info gets put out.

And I’m sure an amateur service like Sling doesn’t worry Sony….it’s DirectTV Now that Sony is concerned about.

Token November 25, 2016 at 11:14 pm #

Love sports but ESPN is brutal. Dunno why people need the awful ESPN channels and NBA TV. Just expensive channels with poor content

Troy Hinojosa November 28, 2016 at 10:34 pm #

Like it or not, live sports is the cornerstone of any television/cable/satellite service. Cutting the cord has only become popular, and viable, because so many of the sports channels are available now. For the longest time, the reason so many people suffered the price gouging of most services is because of the ability to watch live sports was tied to your cable or satellite service.

It’s why sports teams work so hard to negotiate a good tv deal. It’s why colleges have worked so hard to get dedicated conference networks. Sports = big $, and everyone knows it. If you can manage to bring in more sports viewers through moderately priced packages, you’ll convince more people to leave larger providers, and retain them once you do.

Dean Stibbs November 25, 2016 at 11:08 am #

Sports pays the bills. Without the sports channels, Vue and these other OTT services would go under.

As for breaking them off….ESPN and the bigger networks will probably never allow themselves to be just an add-on, They want the guaranteed number of customers that the main packages provide.

Mike Stambaugh November 25, 2016 at 12:40 pm #

Please add MLB network. That’d make up for the loss of of the Viacom channels. PLEASE Sony. ..

bjwanlund November 27, 2016 at 5:16 pm #

I am interested, I just feel like the channel selection is really good but they do the extremely outdated ‘cable-esque’ model of “hey, if you want X channel you’re gonna have to pay $Y more per month”. Bleah…

SooHooSama March 7, 2017 at 1:04 am #

I’m almost deciding to jump away from PSVue due to the lack of A&E and MLB Network. PS Vue removed a bunch of channels but didn’t lower their prices as well.