BOB'S BURGERS
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

PlayStation Vue Makes Improvements to Their Location ID System

How PlayStation Vue determines where you live has often been an issue for many subscribers with Sony’s live TV service thinking you live hours away and giving you locals from a totally different market.

This issue has affected my family even though PlayStation Vue has locals for where I live, I for some reason, get locals from Dallas, Texas, a three-plus hour drive from my house. Now it seems that Sony has found a way to improve the system that handles how it determines what locals you should get.

Yesterday we received messages from many subscribers letting us know that they received access to locals they didn’t have before or now have access to the correct locals.

Sony has not released any statement on this change and has not replied to our request for comment on the change.

Why make this change now? It is possible that as Sony speeds up its roll out of locals it wanted to improve how it detected what locals you should have. We have known for some time that Sony uses the IP address to determine locals—not your billing information. As best we can tell it is still using the IP address for locals but now uses a better system to determine your correct locals.

Did you notice a change in your locals on PlayStation Vue recently? Leave us a comment and let us know.

If you want to see a list of every local PlayStation Vue currently offers you can find it HERE.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

18 Responses to PlayStation Vue Makes Improvements to Their Location ID System

risingtide August 31, 2017 at 8:07 am #

They are planning on getting rid of the IP address and outside-of-home network restrictions. It was needed initially because they weren’t nationwide and later because they charged different prices based on location. Now that everyone will be paying the same amount regardless of location, they no longer need the strict IP address / outside home network restriction.

YorkshireTea August 31, 2017 at 8:49 am #

I don’t have the service, but just out of curiosity: so how are they defining then where you’re located? By your billing address? I guess that would be the most logical approach as it would zero in into your most likely location.

Evan August 31, 2017 at 9:40 am #

Why does location matter in the digital world anymore? Everything is global now.

YorkshireTea August 31, 2017 at 10:08 am #

I couldn’t agree more with you. I myself don’t live in the US and hate geoblocking. I was just curious. I don’t have plans to subscribe live TV for the time being, but if the push comes to shove I’d like to know beforehand what I’m up against.

Ottis DA Da aD August 31, 2017 at 10:18 am #

It matters because of contract agreements & restrictions. I doubt the whole IP address tracking would go. If that be the case you could EASILY watch it overseas or watch other locals by simply having that City/state’s address.

Evan August 31, 2017 at 10:30 am #

Well why can’t they just block by country? I mean why can’t I stream Houston locals if I don’t live in Houston? If I visit Salt Lake City I should should see Salt Lake City locals.

Daniel Richards August 31, 2017 at 10:48 am #

Sling does that, it bases what locals you are receiving by your IP address, i’ve seen it in person, I connected to the walmart wifi which is connected to like there satellite or some other connection back to the main office in Arkansas and when I would launch Sling while connected to that wifi I get the NBC for that area and not the Fox for my area. Vue’s home location has I think more to do with the shear number of streams, like we’ve seen how people share Netflix passwords, if people shared Vue passwords you could potentially lose 4 extra customers, requiring devices to be activated on a home network (and that network reconfirmed like once a month) prevents account sharing,

Evan August 31, 2017 at 10:55 am #

So profiles can be different locations?

Daniel Richards August 31, 2017 at 2:13 pm #

profiles? not clear what you are trying to say, Sling doesn’t have profiles, but I know plenty of people who share Netflix accounts.

Evan August 31, 2017 at 2:14 pm #

Oh you meant Netflix profiles? Got it.

Daniel Richards August 31, 2017 at 10:42 am #

it matters because the FCC has rules in place that says people in certain areas get certain locals and not others (this is part of why local stations take so long to get added to streaming services), also since Playstation Vue allows for 5 active streams it would face the risk of people sharing there accounts with family and friends in other locations, when Vue started 2 and a half years ago there was only Sling and Vue and Sling was a single stream then, so no risk of being shared, Vue had to make a deal so the networks felt safe that they weren’t losing out on subscribers so they locked the service to your location. We as the consumer may not like it, but it’s FCC rules and companies worried about there bottom lines.

Evan August 31, 2017 at 10:53 am #

Well I understand national restrictions but with national companies these local restrictions don’t make sense. This is an obsolete aspect of the non digital pay TV world.

Daniel Richards August 31, 2017 at 2:20 pm #

yeah, not a huge fan of it, was just trying to explain why things are how they are. What I don’t is why is it that Sling will detect your location and update your locals based on where you are, but other services you just flat out lose ALL locals the moment you leave your locals coverage area. Why can’t the other services just do like Sling does and give you locals based on where it ID’s you to be at, maybe it has to do with DVR restrictions or something from the deals those companies made, I don’t know, the whole thing is a headache of OLD TV trying to hold onto the past while we drag them kicking and screaming into the future that is there last hope for survival past the next 10-15 years.

Gerry Allen September 1, 2017 at 12:18 pm #

Local stations receive advertising revenue from local businesses. Why would a local mattress seller want to pay for viewers two thousand miles away? So, location matters in many dimensions.

Evan September 1, 2017 at 12:19 pm #

I see many My Pillow ads. Hardly local.

Daniel Richards August 31, 2017 at 10:50 am #

they still need it to prevent account sharing, because with the capacity for 5 streams, thats a huge risk for folks to be sharing the account with family and friends like people do with Netflix.

Evan August 31, 2017 at 9:39 am #

This was the most annoying issue for me. I hope it is better if I ever return.

Ryan Thatcher September 1, 2017 at 12:08 pm #

I wish PS Vue would mistake my location. I would finally get some local channels!