DIY2

PlayStation Vue is Moving The DIY Channel To The Elite Plan

Are you a fan of the DIY Channel? Well, soon you will need the Elite or Ultra package on PlayStation Vue to access DIY.

Recently Sony started contacting PlayStation Vue subscribers with this message:

As of 01/10/2018, the DIY channel will move from the Access and Core plans to the Elite plan. When this change occurs, the live channel, On Demand TV, and DVR programming will no longer be available through the Access and Core plans. You may upgrade to Elite or Ultra before 01/10/2017 to retain access to the DIY channel programming and recorded DVR shows. Visit psvue.com/plans to learn more.

This comes shortly after PlayStation Vue announced that Fox College Sports and Eleven Sports will be moving to the Sports Add-on. Again with the same limitation that all DVR shows will be removed from current customer DVRs. They join networks like ESPN Classic, LHN, NESN National, NBC Sports, NFL Redzone, Outside TV, and more in the PlayStation Vue sports add-on.

This does come as PlayStation Vue recently added the Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Drama, and Hallmark Movies to their lineup.

Sony has not made any statement explaining the moves and did not respond to our emails for comment on the move.

43 Responses to PlayStation Vue is Moving The DIY Channel To The Elite Plan

1. Paul Gaydos December 11, 2017 at 4:34 pm #

Why don’t they just move every channel to the Elite package and change their name to Comcast or Spectrum.

• Celtics_Junkie December 11, 2017 at 7:42 pm #

Vue and other live-TV streaming services need to do what they need to do to keep prices low, avoid perennial price hikes, and not actually become the new-age cable companies. It scares me that my $45 Vue Core plan includes 70 channels, it seems unsustainable. I’d rather them drop channels than raise prices (as long as it’s not the channels that I watch :p).

• Vegas Steve December 11, 2017 at 10:57 pm #

Except they recently dropped channels (or moved them to higher tiers) that SOME people do want and raised prices. They have already become the new age mini cable.

• scarpad December 12, 2017 at 9:14 am #

i guess the thing that will keep all these services competitive and in line is the ease of dropping and service hopping

2. Danny Hensley December 11, 2017 at 4:56 pm #

So you want me to pay $55 a month to get one of my favorite channels (DIY) and I still won’t be getting any Viacom Channels, History Channel, or the The Weather Channel. The $60 package at Direct TV Now is looking better and better. I’m just waiting on them to go live with their cloud DVR.

• Psyched December 11, 2017 at 5:05 pm #

True dat, DTVN doesn’t sound like it has the smartest people working for them though. I mean they can’t even deliver a cloud DVR within one year, yet they’re one of the biggest providers out there. The price for channel is definitly there though.

• AK December 11, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

20 hours for a DVR that is still pretty janky (in the beta). If you look to history on AT&T and DirecTV Now, it’s not as nice as it sounds. The good channel lineup and cheap HBO is all it has going for it right now.

• TechSupport December 11, 2017 at 5:43 pm #

We don’t know how many hours will be included with the DVR. I think that is a little unfair to complain about until it is reality. I would pay for DVR from DTVN.

• AK December 11, 2017 at 6:31 pm #

It will start at 20 hours. Upgrade for more.

• TechSupport December 11, 2017 at 7:14 pm #

That would be fine with me but that isn’t fact. That is assumption. I would pay up to $10 more a month for more storage.

• MrJohnDoe December 12, 2017 at 6:54 am #

Why the hell would you pay 10 a month for storage when you can just get Hulu for less than $10 and have past shows etc? If you have hulu, no reason to have DVR. (unless recording sports) Anyone who pays extra for storage needs some special help. YouTube TV is where its at!

• Fred Koot December 12, 2017 at 7:01 am #

Not if you want to watch popular cable channels. YouTube is missing 6 out of the top ten and 12 out of the top 20.

• MrJohnDoe December 12, 2017 at 11:50 am #

Might be missing 6 of top 10 but it doesn’t mean everyone watcha those 6 of top 10, lol.vuw may be missing channels, but so does vue. Get what you want.

• TechSupport December 12, 2017 at 12:53 pm #

That is what I was saying to you earlier. It may be great for YOU but it isn’t great for others. And they all charge for DVR but most services just include it. For example the best streaming service for content is DTVN but they don’t have DVR so they only charge $35/month for what others charge $45/month for. That price WILL go up once a DVR is in place. Another thing with YouTube TV is that they only support the two least used devices. How do you not support Roku and Amazon? Without those supported devices I wouldn’t take their service if it were free.

• Malignar December 12, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

The Roku support will be there soon. I do think Youtube TV needs to add the turner channels. It is almost like they worked with Philo in that each service barely has any overlap. $51 a month for extensive DVR and most locals is pretty good. In line with the $50 DTVN package but without the turner channels.

• TechSupport December 12, 2017 at 1:47 pm #

The $35 DTVN is exactly what I want but no DVR so I currently use my second choice which is PS Vue for $45 minus History.

• TechSupport December 12, 2017 at 7:02 am #

Because Hulu doesn’t have all the content I want that is why. Just because it works for YOU doesn’t mean it works for everyone. Oh by the way you pay for the storage it is just included just less content.

• MrJohnDoe December 12, 2017 at 11:53 am #

I highly doubtful YouTube is charging us for 9 months worth of DVR.if they were, then base package would be $30 or less. YouTube TV is not charging for DVR when they are charging less then actual cost of channels they provide. They are eating up about $3 per subsci er because total costs of the $35 is actually $39 and change

• Infensus December 11, 2017 at 7:47 pm #

How do you know it is 20 hours, when the people that work there don’t even know? Customer support told me it will most likely be more, but you are stating 20 hours as if fact. What is your source?

• CordCutting2017 December 12, 2017 at 3:53 am #

You can get a majority of “cable” channels like FYI through Philo now for $20 or less. There’s no reason to be paying $60/mo any more. https://try.philo.com

3. Matt Schuessler December 11, 2017 at 4:59 pm #

first they raise the price, then they take away channels. not cool at all!!! tweet them and let them know you are mad if you agree.

• Me December 11, 2017 at 8:14 pm #

A) won’t do any good.

B) they added 3 Hallmark channels.

• Tom Austen December 13, 2017 at 8:50 am #

I suspect whoever owns DIY started charging Sony more, hence the move to a higher Vue tier. People keep connecting the price increase (which only affected certain Vue customers) with things that have nothing to do with the increase. I got into an argument online with another user about this. He didn’t think he should have to pay $10 more because he couldn’t do everything he wanted to do with his mobile device, like watch certain channels while he was at work or in class. Apparently his job and education are less important than his media addiction. By the way, all of the cable channels that were lost over the past year have been replaced with others, and now locals are being added. Whether that’s an even trade for Vue subscribers is a matter of opinion.

4. TechSupport December 11, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

I suspect this will happen more and more with all the services as they try to avoid increasing prices. I doubt it will be just PS Vue.

• Me December 11, 2017 at 8:17 pm #

Everyone wants all their channels they get on cable and only pay $20 a month or less for it which is not realistic. People don’t get the content owners pretty much determine the price of service not the pay TV company.

• TechSupport December 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm #

No. I don’t think they want it for $20. Really the only thing I get frustrated about is paying for FREE over the air tv.

• Me December 12, 2017 at 12:04 am #

As long as the law says OTA networks can charge they will. Good luck getting the law to change.

• TechSupport December 12, 2017 at 7:02 am #

No kidding pal. Doesn’t mean we have to be passive

5. TechSupport December 11, 2017 at 5:46 pm #

These companies AND more importantly the content providers need to realize we have so many options and it is so easy to switch now that they are going to have to lower their prices. being forced to pay twice for content I can get for free with an antenna should be criminal. Either you are over the air or you aren’t. If you refuse to go pay-tv ONLY then you shouldn’t be able to charge for it.

• Me December 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm #

Most of the channels on Vue are not broadcast TV. So I don’t get your rant. Cable has been charging you for locals for decades. And the law says locals can demand payment from pay TV operators. I guess you expect them to eat that cost

• TechSupport December 11, 2017 at 8:26 pm #

I know. I am not talking just about streaming services. I am frustrated with the over the air networks. Cost to networks to have cable/satellite/streaming services rebroadcast their channel is minimal because all they do is pick up the stream that exists anyway then rebroadcast it at the providers expense. Go ahead and settle for the norm. The networks want rediculous prices for tv we can pick up over the air for free and they continue to increase that is why companies like dish are fighting back.

• Vegas Steve December 11, 2017 at 11:00 pm #

Except they passed on the cost to ALL subs, not just those that get the broadcast channels. Buy hey, if you’re ok with subsidizing other peoples entertainment, have at it.

• Me December 12, 2017 at 12:05 am #

Eventually everyone will have locals. And ALL subs paying is how cable has worked for years. You never watch channel XYZ ever but you still pay for it. You want al a carte TV be prepared to pay $3-$5 a channel or even more

• Brian Alexander December 12, 2017 at 9:56 am #

The point is that they should make the networks an add-on, for folks that don’t get them OTA.

• Vegas Steve December 12, 2017 at 1:45 pm #

Thanks for making my point. They are getting just like cable.

6. CordCutting2017 December 12, 2017 at 3:56 am #

https://try.philo.com – you get 90% of the cable bulk channels that you spend time watching for a fraction of the price at $16 or $20 depending on which package you go with. With a traditional provider for the same package plus equipment costs you would be paying anywhere from $80-$100/mo for 1 TV and even more with additional rooms.

• Fred Koot December 12, 2017 at 7:30 am #

I wouldn’t say 90% besides News and Sports you are missing popular channels FX Tnt Tbs Usa Syfy

• Dean G December 12, 2017 at 9:09 am #

You get those channels on a basic package with almost every OTT. If you add Philo to a basic package you will get more channels and still be less than cable. I doubt that Philo will ever get some of those channels because it is NBC Universal who owns USA and SYFY. That is not what the service is going for and is meant to NOT have sports.

• Fred Koot December 12, 2017 at 10:09 am #

Yeah, hopefully you shouldn’t have to pay for two services to get the channels you want.

• CordCutting2017 December 13, 2017 at 2:17 am #

Well, in the OTT world you have to mash up a little bit to not be paying $70/mo for DTVN to get them all and still be missing 1 or 2 channels.

If you take Sling Blue for $25/mo + Philo for $16 that’s $41/mo

Leaving you ~$30/mo for something else like Netflix / Hulu / Amazon

If you need 24/7 news Pluto.tv is free and has MSNBC and CBSN and a few others. While they’re not live they still provide the same content the cable company charges you $50/mo for.

OTT isn’t perfect if you’re still fresh off the cable nipple but, it’s possible to put something together on your own for significantly less. The Philo option on cable outside of any promo for one TV would cost you about $100/mo with cable for the same channels.

• Lamar Smith December 31, 2017 at 12:14 pm #

Fred, I do that now have PS Vue and Sling TV. I temporarily pay for Sling to get the History channel, Pac 12 Network and the NHL Network. For now I get to watch Vikings and Knights fall and the NHL Network. Once the Hockey season ends I will dump Sling. Hopefully, next year PS will add History and the NHL Network.

7. Carl Collie December 12, 2017 at 8:15 am #

It is probably worth it to just add Philo instead, for $10 I can upgrade to Elite and gain DIY, Velociity, and a few other channels or for $16 I can gain DIY, Velocity, History, A&E, Viacom and several others. Not Ideal but a something to think about.

8. Michael K Pate December 12, 2017 at 10:04 am #

I had been planning to go back to PS Vue in a couple of months but this is one of the main channels we watch. I will definitely look at cheaper options first.

One thing to consider is Philo + YouTube TV or FuboTV which definitely comes in cheaper.