Worried couple reading a letter sitting on a couch in the living room at home

PlayStation Vue Is Notifying Subscribers About Discontinued Packages

Yesterday PlayStation Vue updated their website for current subscribers to notify them that their current plans are no longer for sale.

If you are a current subscriber and go to the “Manage Subscriptions” page in your settings, you will find a warning that says your current subscription is “No longer for sale.” If you try to upgrade, you will see a warning that says you will not be able to downgrade to the current package.

Here is what it looks like:

Cord Cutters News has confirmed with several readers that they are seeing the message, and the screen shots you see above come from our readers.

Now just because these packages are marked as no longer being for sale does not mean that there is a price hike coming. It is possible PlayStation Vue is about to reshuffle their packages, moving channels around into new packages. Recently Sony’s PlayStation Vue has been moving a lot of channels around and adding new add-ons. It is possible that this is one step closer to a massive reshuffle.

To be clear, we do not expect a price hike from PlayStation Vue at this time. Just a few months ago Sony eliminated their Slim plans bringing all subscribers to their $39.99 and up plans. It is far more likely that this is a glitch or an effort to rearrange their packages. It is important to remember that Sony has a long history of updating their website before any official announcements are made.

Cord Cutters News reached out to Sony yesterday for comment. At this time Sony has yet to respond to our requests for comment on this.

Update: After talking with several readers it seems the message is showing up for users who recently saw their Slim plans go away.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

39 Responses to PlayStation Vue Is Notifying Subscribers About Discontinued Packages

1. Fred Koot January 11, 2018 at 9:33 am #

The cooking channel was moved to Access

• bellsfolly January 11, 2018 at 7:47 pm #

I thought the Cooking Channel was always on Core. It was never on Access; I have always had Food Network, but not Cooking Channel. Was it only available on Elite before now? That seems odd…but maybe I’m thinking wrong.

• Fred Koot January 11, 2018 at 10:26 pm #

Yeah, it was on Elite before

2. SS January 11, 2018 at 9:34 am #

Classic Sony with their bad PR.

3. stumpy579 January 11, 2018 at 9:38 am #

I just got the cooking station on my core plan yesterday. I am hoping to learn how to make boiled mutton. Anybody else like a good boiled mutton?

4. southhendo January 11, 2018 at 9:39 am #

I see the same as the image provided, except that my subscription to “Core” is the one that’s now “no longer on sale”, and “Access” shows as being available (though I didn’t try to select it).

5. Michael Smith January 11, 2018 at 10:04 am #

Why doesn’t Sony add the a&e network channels to make them competitive with DTVN line-up and packages?

• Fred Koot January 11, 2018 at 10:11 am #

Why do you post the same thing on every article about Vue? Why doesn’t Dtv now offer a free Unlimited dvr to make their features competitive with Vue.

• JStatt February 4, 2018 at 1:27 pm #

I agree with you, but would also like to point out its not technically unlimited DVR. It’s unlimited until 30 days when it deletes (or is it 28?).

• Carl Collie January 11, 2018 at 10:49 am #

Because they offer a DVR and try to keep the price from creeping up. Why don’t you move over to DTVN and see if it meets your needs better than VUE obviously does? Not everyone wants the same channels you do, I want an affordable service that offers a DVR, locals, and nice selection of cable channels.

• Michael Smith January 11, 2018 at 2:20 pm #

I do prefer Vue because of their streaming quality, nfl network, price and DVR compared to dtvn. Just asking for the additional channels on the a&e network that’s all.

• John Brittain January 11, 2018 at 9:47 pm #

I 2nd that

• cyn January 12, 2018 at 3:27 pm #

Channels I want not on PS Vue but on Philo $16 month

A&EComedy CentralFYIGSNHallmarkHistoryLifetimeMTVTV Land

• Darrell Birkey January 11, 2018 at 11:14 am #

Because the point isn’t for everyone to offer the same thing. If that were the case they’d simply become cable. That fact that you can choose a service that fits your particular wants more is a good thing.
      MLB Network is important to me and Vue had it along with the others that i really wanted. My first thought when you said they didn’t have A&E networks was… Really? I never noticed. 🙂

• cyn January 12, 2018 at 3:21 pm #

TV Land

Velocity

VH1

Viceland

We TV

• bellsfolly January 12, 2018 at 7:17 pm #

I tried Philo recently, and really liked it overall. I know others have complained about the UI, but I thought it was fine…easy to navigate, and read from across the room on my small (32″) tv. And more importantly, I had absolutely zero issues with streaming…no buffering on live tv, it all worked just as advertised.
        But I do hope they add a real guide soon, and they need app sign-in ablility….and, adding a News and a Sports add-on package would be good, as well. I really see myself ditching PSV and jumping to Philo at some point, too.

6. John Mosher January 11, 2018 at 10:17 am #

Just checked and my grandfathered Elite Slim plan ends in 4 days. It’s switching to Core

7. Greg Mann January 11, 2018 at 10:36 am #

They are still the best streaming option and most like “real” cable TV. if only they had History Channel, A&E and AXS tv. About a year ago, they really improved their network and not had a single buffer or stream error since then…not even once during a big broadcast. I want to see the new Sinclair channels though….

• Vegas Steve January 11, 2018 at 10:48 pm #

Yep, and headed towards “real” cable TV prices.

• BloodLust January 12, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

That’s why they are most like “real” cable TV as he proclaims. Increasing rates, Screwing with channels and changing things without notice!

• JStatt February 4, 2018 at 1:23 pm #

Most of the price increases are simply from markets that did not previously have all of the local channels. For 90% of consumers buying Vue they prefer the larger bundle vs YouTube/Slings more skinny options.

• cyn January 12, 2018 at 3:35 pm #

Channel not on PS Vue but on Philo $16 month – I plan on adding Philo to Sling blue instead of adding the “4 extra” pkg.
      A&E
      AXS tv
      Comedy Central
      FYI
      GSN
      Hallmark
      History
      Lifetime
      MTV
      TV Land
      plus many more

8. Omen_20 January 11, 2018 at 12:09 pm #

If Vue keeps messing around, I will definitely be switching over to YoutubeTV once I upgrade my TV and gain AndroidTV as a platform to stream from. Right now they have me locked in since I only have a PS4 and don’t want to buy another box when my 4K upgrade will pack it in.

• Fred Koot January 11, 2018 at 1:53 pm #

So you will continue to pay $40+ for a service you don’t like. Makes no sense especially when Sling, Direc tv now and Youtube give you FREE devices.

• Omen_20 February 9, 2018 at 11:51 am #

I don’t dislike Vue, there’s just competition now. This issue didn’t affect me, but it’s a sign something might going forward. I don’t want an extra box for no reason. Once I have the TV and can easily start trials with Vue still going on the PS4, it will be a simple switch if one is better.

9. Nathan John Ganiere January 11, 2018 at 1:13 pm #

only thing I noticed here is if you try signing up as a new user the ULTRA is no longer providing a trial, it’s paid right away……….

• Nathan John Ganiere January 11, 2018 at 1:14 pm #

may be old news perhaps though, not tried it in awhile, maybe that package they haven’t for awhile…….

10. Alan Burton January 11, 2018 at 3:54 pm #

When you go into your account and select “modify subscription” it appears as if the package you currently have will show as no longer available.

11. Rlee January 11, 2018 at 5:13 pm #

If we get another hike this year, I’ll be switching. They still need a no sports package.

12. Bob January 11, 2018 at 5:23 pm #

Just got an update dated 010318 to the PS Vue Roku app but see no difference. Can anyone advise as to what if anything changed?

13. bellsfolly January 11, 2018 at 7:45 pm #

I just went to the Manage Subscriptions page….but I’m still on that gifted Elite plan until the 28th of this month, so it’s not saying anything. I’ve always been on the Access plan (lost the Slim price, and gained one local—o…k). Anyway, I guess will see what happens after the 28th when I’m supposed to revert back to Access.
    Since installing a new Roku Ultra on Christmas, I’ve been getting free trials to other services (Philo, CenturyLink Stream, DTVN, and now Hulu with Live TV). Have been perfectly happy with PSV, though, just browsing.
    I heard that others had buffering and other problems during the New Years bowl games etc. I had ESPN going on Vue practically nonstop that entire weekend during those games, and never experienced one issue (to my knowledge.)
    Switched over at one point to DTVN to watch ESPN, and it wasn’t a minute in until the blue swirly box popped up. 🙁

14. gchasse January 11, 2018 at 10:38 pm #

I am still seeing Access as an option. I have Core and am hoping they don’t change that package as it has pretty much all the channels I want.

15. Suny January 12, 2018 at 12:59 am #

That’s not much of a notification, thought you meant notification by email.

16. Barry Karnes January 12, 2018 at 5:24 am #

I’m very happy with Vue. Only channel I desire is NHL Network.

17. RT Barshaw January 12, 2018 at 10:02 am #

I wish Sony gave you the option to upgrade their DVR so your recordings wouldn’t automatically get deleted. I’d gladly pay a small monthly fee for that and/or give up the unlimited storage.

18. Greg Mann January 13, 2018 at 2:03 pm #

I tried Philo but real confusing with no real guide and no DVR. Once you get used to Vue, you love it and hard to go with anything else. My two cents. I just don’t want those channels and if I paid for Elite and Philo, I will be paying about what Charter charges! Sad…. I sure do miss American Pickers.

19. Tom Austen January 15, 2018 at 11:24 am #

I think a follow-up article would be helpful to clarify what’s going on. If you go to the main info page on the Vue website (with or without signing in), all four channel line-ups are still listed as available for purchase.