family-guy-2

Some PlayStation Vue Subscribers Will Lose Live Locals on November 8th 2017

Since launch Sony’s live TV streaming service, PlayStation Vue has had a reputation of offering incorrect locals. For example, at our office instead of getting locals from our area, we get locals from over 3 hours away and 2 TV markets away.

Now it looks like PlayStation Vue is working to fix that and is contacting subscribers to let them know that on November 8th 2017 their locals may change or they may lose locals on that day.

“We are writing to let you know that on November 8, 2017, some local broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) may change to a different local version of the channel or may change to an ON Demand version of the channel. This happens as we align our geographic regions with each channel’s local area.” Sony said in an email to subscribers. “If your area transitions to an On Demand version of the channel, you will retain access to a wide variety of national programming from the channel, available in an On Demand format. Note that live sports do not play on On Demand versions of channels.”

Sony went on to say “Any shows saved to your DVR from the previous local channel will no longer be available, but the new local channel can be added to My Shows and its programming saved to your DVR.”

Here is the email going out to subscribers:

We are reaching out to Sony for comment on what locals will be changing and will update this story if Sony responds to our emails.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

42 Responses to Some PlayStation Vue Subscribers Will Lose Live Locals on November 8th 2017

1. Soyntgo4it October 9, 2017 at 9:38 am #

Screw this is if I end up with all on-demand channels, I will cancel.

• Ian starr October 12, 2017 at 4:13 pm #

Amen.

2. Michael K Pate October 9, 2017 at 9:40 am #

I guess we know now why the price increase has been delayed – getting hit with a $10 price increase and a channel loss in the same billing cycle would send people for the exits.

• BloodLust October 9, 2017 at 8:53 pm #

Seems to be the norm with Sony Vue.

3. SS October 9, 2017 at 9:43 am #

Classic Sony move. They don’t care much about their reputation. If they were smart, they would only change the local when there’s a new version of local channel, instead of switching from live to On Demand.

4. bplewis24 October 9, 2017 at 9:57 am #

When I was with Vue (I switched back to Sling), I was getting my locals from the Dallas/Fort Worth area even though I’m in Sacramento, CA. So I imagine I would have been negatively affected by this.

5. Craig October 9, 2017 at 10:06 am #

Tell me? What exactly won’t you lose by being a Vue subscriber? Why is there always soo much drama around Vue compared to Sling and NOW? Is Sony simply that incompetent?

• Alan Burton October 9, 2017 at 10:13 am #

Maybe because this is a totally new enterprise for Sony, where Sling and DTVN’s parent companies have been down this road before.

If anyone here remembers the drama associated with Dish and Direct getting locals on satellite with all the problems of service address vs billing system address and distant station waivers for underserved/unserved markets, this is pretty mild in comparison.

This looks like Sony is trying to comply with the federal regulations concerning local market broadcast definitions.

• Chris K. October 9, 2017 at 10:30 am #

Yep, neither mini-dish satellite provider offered locals in the beginning. It was the same back in the old large-dish days. And cable providers also have their share of drama. I remember once a year Mediacom would get into a contract dispute with Sinclair or one of the other local owners – either threatening to drop, or dropping and coming back the next day. Vue may be having issues this year, but it could just as easily be DTV Now or Sling with these problems next year.

Until DTV or Sling can catch up with PS Vue in terms of its DVR, Vue is still my family’s best option. Sports are the only thing we ever watch live on “cable” channels. Thanks to my attic antenna, HDHomeRun, NextPVR, and my Plex server – local channels aren’t an issue for us like they are for many others who don’t have viable antenna options, or just others who aren’t as tech savvy and want to get their locals the same way as their cable channels.

• Fred Koot October 9, 2017 at 10:21 am #

Sling and Now don’t have Drama?

• SS October 9, 2017 at 11:54 am #

Because Sony doesn’t care about good reputation, good PR or marketing. They offer a great service, superior to everyone else in the business. But their marketing and communication is so terrible, it always makes PS Vue look bad.

They make deliberate mistakes that they could easily handle better.

Sling and DirecTV Now are led by cable companies that are highly focused on getting as many subscribers as possible and trying to look good even when their services are terrible.

6. Fred Koot October 9, 2017 at 10:20 am #

I’d imagine this will effect regional sports also.

• Chris K. October 9, 2017 at 10:33 am #

I can’t speak for CBS or NBC, but that’s not an issue for Fox and ABC. I don’t have our local Fox affiliate on PS Vue, but FoxSportsNow streams the “local” live sports broadcasts without any issues. Same with WatchESPN and our “local” live ABC sports broadcasts.

7. Fred Koot October 9, 2017 at 10:39 am #

it’s looks like they are trying to correct location issues. You could get the opposite where you get live when you didn’t have them before

8. TaiPeng October 9, 2017 at 11:13 am #

I bet they’ll still charge $40 too. PS Vue is dying. New management isn’t helping. Only more reasons to stay with DTVN and competitors.

• Fred Koot October 9, 2017 at 11:18 am #

proof

• Michael Smith October 9, 2017 at 11:37 am #

Check out the total number of subscribers in week before lasts CCN Mr. Koot. Vue is now fourth in numer of subscribers. Vue is falling behind.

• Fred Koot October 9, 2017 at 11:48 am #

What numbers

• SS October 9, 2017 at 1:29 pm #

Which numbers? In the last official numbers at the end of Q2, PS Vue was number 2 with around 0.4M, DTVN was #3 after falling down to 0.37M.

Neither Hulu nor YouTube TV has passed PS Vue since launch. YouTube TV has 0.2M; Hulu probably has less than that.

• TaiPeng October 9, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

The Boston market has all of its locals on DTVN and PS Vue is still missing ABC and Fox and whole lot of other channels that I can get for $35.

• The Hockey Spaz October 10, 2017 at 11:43 am #

FOX programming is coming next month (Mid Nov towards end).
          As far as ABC and CW and all the others, they probably aren’t coming anytime soon, so best to just stick with DTVN or YouTube TV also has all the local channels too.

• slickshoes October 9, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

“New management isn’t helping”

Holy crap not everything is instant like your smartphone, it’s been like 4 days since the announcement of that. /common sense

9. John October 9, 2017 at 12:29 pm #

Yeah, PS Vue is getting worse and worse. First they dumped Viacom channels, then beIN sports channels and now some will be losing their local channels. Yet, Sony always keeps the price the same or ups it.

Other Live TV streaming service keeps adding channels and features while keeping the prices the same (for now of course). PS Vue keeps this up and it won’t be around too much longer.

• carl_steve October 9, 2017 at 1:12 pm #

There was no reason for Sony to lower the price after the Viacom 13 were dropped. They have been gradually adding channels ever since then. At last count, I’m up to almost 100 channels on the Ultra plan, which is just a few shy of the number I had before the Viacom debacle. In the past year, there have been several feature updates, most of which have been covered in this newsletter.

The dire claims that Vue is stagnating or dying have no merit. That’s exaggerated nonsense from people who are pissed off about something and aren’t thinking rationally. Just wait until Sling, DTVN, and others start raising their prices, dropping certain channels, etc. The complainers will be tripping over themselves in their big rush to come back to Vue.

• SS October 9, 2017 at 1:30 pm #

Exactly.

• dman October 9, 2017 at 1:34 pm #

Number of channels shouldn’t matter, the value of the channels should. The Viacom channels held value to me, so dropping them was a big negative. Then proposing the $10 price increase, was a second big negative (the one that caused me to cancel). Now I hear this announcement and it just reinforces my decision.

• Phuq_Me October 9, 2017 at 2:33 pm #

A) it’s not a price increase since the price was ALWAYS that to areas that had locals. Now if you want to make the case that maybe locals should be a separate $10 charge but that’s a different issue.

B) Viacom is responsible for not being on Vue. Content owners decide these things the content distributors. Should Vue keep Viacom is they were asking for even more money? Then you’d complain about a REAL price increase Vue would have to do just still offer it.

C) Viacom channels have value to YOU. Many people rather pay the current price for Vue without Viacom than $5 or $10 more with them.

• Kit Talich October 10, 2017 at 5:21 am #

My price was $30 a month. Now it is $40 a month. No locals added. That is a price increase.
            The rest I agree with.

At the end of the day the consumer wants al la cart options. Give the consumer what they want!

• Phuq_Me October 10, 2017 at 6:27 am #

Where are you located?

• Kit Talich October 10, 2017 at 6:47 am #

South Dakota. Zero locals, and such a small market it will probably be years before they add one.
            Nextstar (CBS -best chance in the next year of coming online), Gray Television (ABC), Red River Broadcasting (NBC), local private investors do FOX.
            Hell, I only get CBS and ABC OTA, and the CBS tower is about 60 miles away!

• Phuq_Me October 10, 2017 at 11:54 am #

You need to be bit more specific that’s huge state. zip code please.

• Kit Talich October 10, 2017 at 2:18 pm #

The state is split in for the most part broadcast wise. I am in 57559. The CBS affiliate covers the entire state. The rest are split between Sioux Falls and Rapid City affiliates. With the time zone line being the rough boundary line…

• Phuq_Me October 10, 2017 at 2:39 pm #

well your situation was rare. people that got the increase got at least 1 local. now that being said $10 for less than at last 3 of the big 4 is BS in my book.

• Kit Talich October 10, 2017 at 2:44 pm #

I would agree. I still can’t beleive what CBS is charging for their “all access” stuff!

A little know fact. Cable providers are required by law to provide a package just for the local channels. I understand locally they charge $15 a month for them. Of course they don’t want anyone to know that option is avilable!

• carl_steve October 11, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

The scarcity of local channels in some parts of the country existed long before Sony came out with Vue. Whether it’s fair for someone in the middle of Montana (or wherever) to pay as much for subscription TV as someone in Los Angeles or New York (or wherever) has sparked a lot of debate. Those arguments have been around since long before Internet TV was part of the picture.

The streaming services have established national pricing. Sony was the only one to offer regional pricing with Vue’s Slim packages for the smaller TV markets. The larger markets have been paying $10 more from the start. The decision to end Slim and put everyone on the same playing field has been controversial. How much benefit one will gain from the $10 price increase and the addition of local channels (whenever that happens) is probably all in the eyes of the beholder. As for the FCC rule requiring cable and satellite operators to provide local channels, it’s not clear if that rule applies to the streaming services. For that reason, the call to make local channels an optional service may not fly.

Like you, I’m not crazy about having to pay for CBS All Access. I was hoping Sony could work out a deal to make that part of Vue.

• Kit Talich October 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm #

I actually like the approach CBS took as I am a fan of an al la crate model… I just think their pricing is outrageous. If it was half the price they are I would jump on it. In the mean time I will just watch it OTA.

• CatinMaine October 11, 2017 at 10:26 am #

Nope. I live in 04976 and also have ZERO locals on Vue. My price was still increasing.

• carl_steve October 10, 2017 at 10:05 am #

Which channels have value depends on who you ask. Everyone has a different opinion about that. It’s been reported elsewhere that Viacom is real hard ass about money. When they wanted more for distribution on Vue, Sony told them to buzz off. Would you have thought you were getting value if you had to pay more for MTV and the others? Some people dropped Vue over the loss of beIN Sports because they couldn’t live without soccer. Sinking the entire ship because one piece is gone doesn’t make sense.

• dman October 10, 2017 at 10:51 am #

That’s why I stated that the channels have value “to me”. I don’t care if they have value to someone else. At the end of the day, it’s what I want… and if Vue can’t provide that, I move on. Competition is great!!

10. Ian starr October 9, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

Oh my god Song. From the days of the early 2000s and just destroying their gaming one decision by somehow screwing up releasing the FIRST and BEST online game…. a star wars that made you feel like you were in the universe… Except the vehicles didnt exist yet and it was like a 45 min run to…. anywhere… only to fix it, break it, shut it down and let bioware do it again their way… SO had the market with that if they did it right. To MINIDISCS. To even today the way they are so proprietary. .. they live in a bubble. I mean who calls it PLAYSTATION VUE??? I told ME last year screw the your own platform. Just buy spotpify. It tidal. But sling. MS you are too late to just start your own, but it, make it better. Get rid of the blue orange. nonzense. Hook sootify and she to onedrive. Maybe people will actually use onedrive! But keep the LA or Xbox. And OFF everything. Call it sling.. Not Me or Xbox sling. Same with spotify, fix them and jump ahead. I think it was smart to do spotify now, that company fixed a lot 0 n their own. ME just to throw domestic integration in it (and god if it’s “coming soon…dont say it until its there”… sling… needs work and MS has leverage and power that sling will never have on its own. But ME has got a fixer upper there. They should have bought last year and moved with fat more speed. Theb again I know that… I told them. Hmm.

11. Kansas Penguin October 9, 2017 at 10:08 pm #

If I lose the locals that I have on Vue, I may need to re-think my subscription. I can get all the locals on my HD antenna, but the reception is not exactly reliable.

12. jian9007 October 11, 2017 at 1:58 am #

This will suck for some subscribers. As for me, I’m not worried at all, since I live in the DFW area and currently have live local CBS, ABC, Fox, and NBC channels on my Vue. I just wish they could get the CW, or at least the CW app (which works on nearly all other platforms except Playstation). However since Direct TV Now just made a deal to carry the CW in August, it doesn’t look good. So I’ll just continue to download the torrent of their shows for now.