Orioles-Tigers-Baseball

PlayStation Vue Updates Its Guide With New Features

Sony has quietly been updating the PlayStation Vue guide. The new feature will be something sports fans will likely enjoy.

Yesterday the Android TV version of PlayStation Vue started giving live scores for sporting events in the guides, allowing PlayStation Vue subscribers to quickly find an interesting game. This was first spotted by some Redditors over on the PlayStation Vue subreddit.

This update has not rolled out to all platforms yet.

This update is one more move by PlayStation Vue in what seems to be a growing battle with Sling TV and DIRECTV NOW for sports viewers.

Sports viewers are especially valuable for services such as PlayStation Vue because they are more likely to watch live. Live viewers allow services to sell more high profile ads for more money. Advertisers love live events because it means you won’t be fast-forwarding through the ads.

Recently Sony has been investing heavily into sports getting rights to the NFL Network, NBA Network, and most recently the MLB Network. PlayStation Vue has also been working hard to add CBS local affiliates, giving viewers access to all the sports events that air on CBS including the NFL and March Madness.

The real winners here are cord cutters as live TV streaming services fight for our money we get more options.

Have you seen this update on non-Android TV devices? Have you found any other changes? Leave us a Comment and let us know what device.

28 Responses to PlayStation Vue Updates Its Guide With New Features

1. Richard smith April 20, 2017 at 7:26 am #

4/19 Fire tv added live window , catch up, on demand and all channels in guide. Explore added live and new

• Lynnneez April 21, 2017 at 9:36 pm #

Same, although I didn’t notice the changes to Explore until you noted them. I love having picture in picture type screen in the guide and the other changes. In terms of Explore, that is yet another awesome and unique search feature not available on any other service. Now if they would just port the multi-screen view to fire I would be even happier and incidentally that is yet another unique to PS Vue feature.

2. Bruce Wayne April 20, 2017 at 8:33 am #

PS Vue proving once again why it is simply the superior live TV streaming service.

3. Bruce Wayne April 20, 2017 at 8:34 am #

“Advertisers love live events because it means you won’t be fast-forwarding through the ads.”

I usually just mute the TV or turn it off or do something else until the game comes back on.

• GersonT1000 April 20, 2017 at 8:39 am #

Sshhh, don’t tell our secret.

4. Ken Weide April 20, 2017 at 9:55 am #

The Apple TV update now has a “sports” section. It is also now easier to switch between two show.

5. S Bradshaw April 20, 2017 at 9:56 am #

We better be able to turn this live scores crap off. Sometimes I plan on watching a sports event later because I missed the beginning of it and I don’t need some “feature” ruining the results for me. I can’t wait until ESPN gets interactive and got can disable their feed at the bottom

• Bruce Wayne April 20, 2017 at 4:15 pm #

You can turn it off in the settings. Personally, I like it for when I’m watching multiple games and want to check in on other games without changing channels.

6. Craig Werner April 20, 2017 at 11:06 am #

I agree with S Bradshaw. I no longer have access to ESPN since switching to Sling blue. Their live score scroll was one of the reasons I switched from Sling Orange to blue. It spoiled more than one game I was planning to watch after the fact. Now two months being ESPN less I don’t miss it at all. Sling blue with the sports add on is all I need along with MLB.tv and NHL.tv. If Sling doesn’t get the MLB Network at some point I’m going to consider switching over to VUE.

7. RED ZMAN April 20, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

I’ve noticed another recent update that I haven’t seen anyone else talk about, in the latest version many of the channels that are On Demand actually have On Demand icons in the guide for each show. For example the Hiyah Channel didn’t used to show On Demand next to every show and now it does.

• Jim Carter April 20, 2017 at 1:58 pm #

You’re right, no mention anywhere of this feature enhancement. There’s also a window to view the current channel when accessing the guide.

• JC April 20, 2017 at 7:18 pm #

I just got back home today and saw the little display in corner while in guide- Android TV Nvidia shield.

• Bruce Wayne April 20, 2017 at 4:15 pm #

What device are you on?

• RED ZMAN April 20, 2017 at 5:30 pm #

Formerly the Fire TV 2, currently the amazing Nvidia Shield Pro (2017)

• Bruce Wayne April 20, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

On PS4, we’ve had that since the service launched. Same as on my Android phone.

• JC April 20, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

I don’t see a live TV corner on Android phone while in the guide.

• Bruce Wayne April 20, 2017 at 8:47 pm #

That’s not what we were talking about.

• JC April 20, 2017 at 7:27 pm #

Well in landscape no video but audio, but in portrait it does show video at top.

8. Ashley Nunya April 20, 2017 at 1:14 pm #

I just made the switch this past weekend and am beyond happy with my choice. Buh-bye Comcast.

9. BrianH1972 April 20, 2017 at 1:15 pm #

ROOT Sports. Any word? The service that gets this first gets my support.

10. Richard smith April 20, 2017 at 2:26 pm #

The Apple TV app update::
    Better flow when navigating in the guide
    UI improvements
    Some DVR shows could not be played – fixed.
    Users could sometimes be signed out after waking up the Apple TV – fixed
    Stability fixes

New Features
    – Quick Navigation from Video player page
    – Multi-Day Guide
    – Users can now see guide for past and future dates

• Eideard April 20, 2017 at 3:55 pm #

Added jog betweeb 2 channels handy for news junkies. Even handier if and when they ever offer Bloomberg TV.

• Richard smith April 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

Don’t know about the Apple tv, but Fire tv has a Bloomberg app that streams live free.

11. Bob Kirsch April 20, 2017 at 2:41 pm #

Well, still waiting for a guide in the Roku app before I even consider the move from SlingTV. But there are still channels missing vs. Sling….

• horror hideout April 20, 2017 at 6:36 pm #

I already have Vue on Roku and have for a while. It’s guide is freaking terrible (I used to have Sling). HOWEVER, it is SO much more stable in viewing. Rarely ever re-loads or loses streaming. And that DVR Vue has with “My Shows” is great. But, yes I really need a better guide. It’s awful. My wife will not even watch Vue because she wants a TV Guide/Dish/Direct TV style guide.

• gchasse April 20, 2017 at 10:22 pm #

I use Roku as well, and I agree the guide is terrible. It is clunky and takes a while to find things. It is virtually impossible to scan through a program guide to find out what is on. I hope they do improve it soon.

Otherwise I love Vue. It has pretty much what I want in sports and the one movie channel I want, TCM, and I pay $35. Hard to beat that deal.

I used to have Dish and paid to get that and also the Filipino package for my wife for $120. Now I get pretty much what I want and my wife finds her Filipino news through UTube. It actually works out better for her because she watches it when she wants.