We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Your Public Library Wants to Help You Become a Cord Cutter

Cutting the cable connection to coax connector illustrating people cancelling cable TV serviceDo you like free movies, TV shows, music, audio books, ebooks, and more? Your public library is probably the best kept cord cutting secret to help you watch your shows, movies, and more without paying a dime.

You likely know that your library lends out DVDs, but did you know most public libraries also stream movies, TV shows, ebooks, audio books, and more? Yes, most libraries now offer at least one streaming service.

Of all the streaming services out there hoopla digital is probably the most well-known. hoopla digital teams up with local libraries to offer free streaming for members of more than 1,600 public library systems across North America. Public libraries are a great resource for cord cutters—not only for free DVD rentals but now also for streaming.

The best part is they now have apps for Roku, Apple TV, and Android TV.

The following quick video shows you what hoopla has to offer:

hoopla has been busy adding new content: They recently struck a deal with Viacom to add hundreds of popular TV shows from networks such as Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, MTV, Spike, VH1, TV Land, and CMT. hoopla also recently struck a deal with Paramount to bring a large number of Paramount movies to the service.

hoopla also has a large number of Disney movies, shows, and music to pick from. Many of these Disney shows and movies can be difficult to find on other services.

Now there are limits to the service. In my case I can only borrow 50 items a month. So I can watch 50 movies or watch 25 movies and borrow 25 music albums a month. You need to ask your local library what limits they may have.

So how do you get access to hoopla? You need a library membership. If you want to stream this great library of content, contact your local library and find out if they offer hoopla. Chances are they do have a free streaming service for members.

If you are a cord cutter make sure to take advantage of your local library. You are paying for it with your taxes, so why not take advantage of the services?

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

14 Responses to Your Public Library Wants to Help You Become a Cord Cutter

filmex December 24, 2017 at 8:09 am #

Wow, you’re lucky. We have been enjoying movies, TV series and music via Hoopla and the Scottsdale library, but we have a limit of 9 items a month. And the items evaporate after 72 hours…5 days for music.

TexMarque December 24, 2017 at 11:07 am #

Our library allows 15 items. Movies & TV episodes 72 hrs, e-books 21 days, music 7 days. It is a good deal and free is good.

Sunflower December 26, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

Guessing that it’s not really free, but paid for with taxpayer money. My local library doesn’t have this service yet due to cost.

Tawney Mazek December 25, 2017 at 11:02 am #

We get six – which is up one from last year. It’s a wonderful service and very nice that it’s now on Roku.

BigO December 24, 2017 at 10:11 am #

Hoopla: We make use of it every now and then, and it is a good service.

For the most part, we just use the library for DVDs (just picked a few up yesterday). It is great to go online to request the items you want, and then simply go in and get them once I receive an email saying they are ready.

Sunflower December 24, 2017 at 10:59 am #

My local library doesn’t offer Hoopla, but is considering it. Apparently it’s quite expensive.

TexMarque December 24, 2017 at 11:12 am #

I wondered about the statement that most libraries offer at least one streaming service, so I checked one of my locals and found that they have 2. Tumbleweeds which is children’s material (this would complement PBS Kids). And one called Kanopy which started out serving university libraries and now local libraries in Australia, US and UK.

Optic December 24, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

Kanopy is great, if your library offers it. I wish that Roku would add them to their global search. Library DVDs are also handy.

Cord Cutters News should also do a story on (re-?) joining the local video rental store. If you have one nearby that survived Netflix, it’s worth it. I’m lucky that ours did. We rejoined them after the formerly great Netflix movie library splintered into many competitors, and it’s great. Awesome selection of movies that aren’t available for streaming anywhere, for $3 a rental.

Kravimir December 24, 2017 at 2:06 pm #

It’s the app developer who chooses whether or not to provide their catalog listings to Roku to enable Roku search for each app.

Angie Arickx December 24, 2017 at 2:06 pm #

Wow, I can only check out 4 items a month.

Corinne December 25, 2017 at 11:16 am #

LA Public Library is 15 titles a month.

TV Barrington December 25, 2017 at 12:17 pm #

My local library only allows 6 checkouts per month. Hopefully, their number checkouts will increase over time. I find that I burn through 6 checkouts pretty quickly with getting movies and/or books, but I do wonder if there are many different factors involved for the total number of monthly checkouts. For example, like how many people actually are using the Hoopla app all of the time through the year, or the actual cost for that county/city library to be in the Hoopla system.

Karen December 25, 2017 at 12:22 pm #

Thanks! My local library only allows 5 a month. I wish they had this for FireTV!