Worried couple reading a letter sitting on a couch in the living room at home

Worried couple reading a letter sitting on a couch in the living room at homeStarting in October most PlayStation Vue subscribers will see a price hike to at least $39.99 a month. This change will affect 203 markets out of about 210 markets that Sony’s PlayStation Vue supports.

A few months ago Sony announced that it is removing its less expensive Slim plans, which started at $29.99. These plans rolled out when PlayStation Vue went nationwide for markets without or with only a few locals.

PlayStation Vue announced that starting in October current subscribers who had the less expensive Slim plans would see the price hike. This means for many PlayStation Vue subscribers the next time your plan comes up for renewal in October you will pay an extra $10 a month. (The exact date it will happen depends on when your account is set to renew.)

Recently Sony has been rushing out more locals to many PlayStation Vue subscribers. Sony has yet to come out and bluntly say why it raised its price, but it has hinted that it was related to its push for more locals and content.

Now if you are in one of the original markets that already paid an extra $10 a month and started at $39.99 you won’t see a price hike. This only affected people in the old Slim plans.

So if you don’t want to pay the higher price, you need to cancel before your renewal in October 2017.

57 Responses to Reminder: PlayStation Vue Is Raising Their Price on Most Subscribers in October 2017

1. Evan September 18, 2017 at 7:57 am #

Boston still has no Fox or ABC with PS Vue so the $10 increase is still unjustified. Boston market residents will just switch to DTVN. We are just missing Fox.

• Alphastrike November 23, 2017 at 12:05 am #

You can change your location zip code in the vue to get local channels in a different area.

2. Dan September 18, 2017 at 7:59 am #

I’m keeping PS Vue through September so I have NESN long enough to watch Red Sox / MLB regular season all the way through. I will switch to DirectvNow and grab that free Roku deal while it is still available.

3. ChanceDM September 18, 2017 at 9:01 am #

Vue and DirecTV Now are pretty comparable. Vue was better due to price, but with this price increase, DTV Now is now the better value.

• Mike Thaler September 19, 2017 at 11:50 am #

How can you equate a service w.o. having DVR w. one that does?

• ChanceDM September 20, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

Good point. DTV Now will have a DVR soon. For me personally it’s a nice to have, not a deal breaker.

4. mnsportsgeek September 18, 2017 at 9:18 am #

I thought for sure there would be a big push to add a ton of locals before this price hike. There was a minor push, but there is still a mountain to climb. Time is running out. Wonder how many people are gonna swallow being the first OTT customers to experience a price hike.

5. JC September 18, 2017 at 10:59 am #

I cancelled this weekend, had them for just over 1 year. Will try TV YouTube. If PSV would get ABC and NBC local (had fox and cbs), then I would have stayed and paid the $45 ($10 more on 2nd tier from bottom). They also dropped Fox sports Midwest but on web said I should get it. YouTube TV has the 4 networks but Fox is the national feed. But YouTube TV is also missing several other channels, TNT, TBS, hgtv to name a few. But it has good sports FXSport Midwest and Midwest plus and NBC sports and CBS sports and several others.

6. David Griffen September 18, 2017 at 11:27 am #

Still not one single local channel, spectrum is to high and most other services don’t offer all the channels I want. Going to be quite the debate in my household the next few days.

• Evan September 21, 2017 at 10:45 am #

Digital dead zones. I wonder if they will ever. Nebraska seems to be a technological dead zone.

7. CatinMaine September 18, 2017 at 11:35 am #

Same here. Vue never added any locals to the Bangor Maine feed. So almost a 35% fee hike for absolutely nothing, but we need DVR functionality before we can move to DTNow.

8. carl_steve September 18, 2017 at 11:44 am #

I have one local so far…the CBS affiliate. Without that, I probably would not have been able to watch the Emmys last night. When the other locals are added, it will be a big improvement. OTA reception in my area is so unpredictable that I never know from one day to the next which shows I’ll be able to watch. Being able to use the DVR and other PS Vue features with locals also will be a plus.

9. dman September 18, 2017 at 1:37 pm #

I cancelled as well (last day is first week in October). I’m moving over to Sling TV, as I don’t need streaming locals (I get them OTA). Really wish Vue would offer locals as an ‘a la carte’ option (+$10), then I wouldn’t have to leave.

Does DTV Now offer DVR functionality yet, or is it still beta?

• CatinMaine September 18, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

Still in beta and no official announcement if when it will be available for all subscribers.

• Ed September 18, 2017 at 9:25 pm #

I left Directv now 5 months ago for PS Vue. Just went back to DTV now with a 50% off promo. DTV avail channels are good but everything else sucks – no dvr, most of my watchlist never updates, no demand app access for many channels. Can’t wait for Amazon ala carte

• dman September 19, 2017 at 9:14 am #

I can only assume Vue will raise their rates or charge extra for DVR functionality. No thanks… they’ve priced themselves out of the competition..

• CatinMaine September 19, 2017 at 11:44 am #

Mmm, maybe they will. I was a satellite Directv customer for 12 years and once att took over it was a never-ending price increase BUT the Vue price increase with no locals added is not a maybe, it is a certain. So I base my decisions on facts since I don’t have a crystal ball.

10. Paul Cernech September 18, 2017 at 3:39 pm #

Isnt this assuming “most subscribers” are at the lowest tier? I am at the highest and as far as I can tell won’t see a price increase.

• Evan September 21, 2017 at 10:44 am #

Most are. The highest tiers were select cities. Most of the country is not NYC.

• Paul Cernech September 21, 2017 at 11:07 am #

Sony doesn’t release numbers so not sure where your info is coming from but from what I’ve seen on the boards a lot late mid tier. I don’t understand the NYC part of your comment. The price points since the beta has been over (more than a year) have been regardless of location so my package in KC with 2 locals costs as much as the NYC package with 6 locals (or whatever).

• Evan September 21, 2017 at 11:10 am #

Typical DMAs NYC, Chicago, Dallas, and San Francisco probably were in the highest tier. Most of the country is not in the top 5 DMAs in the country.

• Evan September 21, 2017 at 11:12 am #

Kansas City has only two locals and you have to pay as if you had all four locals? Doesn’t seem fair does it? Have you looked at DTVN or Hulu?

• Paul Cernech September 21, 2017 at 2:12 pm #

Yep Hulu has one (CBS) and dtvn has just added the two Vue has. I like the Vue UI much better than etc and DVR is a deal breaker. Paying 64.99 for Vue on special with HBO and Showtime. Honestly ton’t miss the locals much. I’ve got the two I watched most…. And it’s still a savings over Dish with more

• TaiPeng September 21, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

What are the two locals? ABC and Fox?

Is Kansas City White or more Blacks and minorities? How is crime? Is it a good place for White guys to live?

• Paul Cernech September 21, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

CBS and abc and fox4 so my bad 3 locals.
            I dont know TAI (Aka Evan) its probably mostly white with a strong black population also. Hispanic is increasing in the inner city making improvements…

• TaiPeng September 21, 2017 at 4:15 pm #

How is crime? Oklahoma City being close St Louis and Ferguson and all that?

• Paul Cernech September 21, 2017 at 4:52 pm #

Oklahoma city is not Kansas city (which is a bi state area (ks and Mo) and im not sure 4 hrs drive is “close” and KC is very different politically than STL.
            This has absolutely nothing to do with the threaded subject so I’m done.

• TaiPeng September 21, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

I am just trying to find out about areas in the midwest. No need to be absolutely hostile. Do whatever you want I don’t care though. This conversation is over. Thank you for shutting down conversation like a snowflake at a university speech. Nice job.

• Paul Cernech September 21, 2017 at 5:27 pm #

If I was being absolute in my hostility I wouldn’t have attempted to answer your questions so who is the snowflake? I was just pointing out as the admin of several forums (that’s old school terminology referring to a “board” dedicated to a specific subject) that it’s off subject. I’m sure yu you can find better info elsewhere as I’m no expert in crime or race demographics. All I know is I feel safe here. And it’s weird your name changed mid thread so there’s that oddity…

• carl_steve September 21, 2017 at 3:42 pm #

It’s not a ripoff if Customer A gets 3 local channels for $10 extra while Customer B gets 4 or more locals. To argue in that way would be splitting hairs. There are already regional differences from one TV market to the next in terms of how many cable channels one gets. Here in a small Midwestern state, I wouldn’t expect to get as many locals as someone in New York or Los Angeles. As with cable channels, the number of locals available through Vue will probably grow over time.

• TaiPeng September 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm #

So why should Nebraska pay New York prices? That isn’t splitting hairs.

• carl_steve September 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm #

Since I don’t live in Nebraska or New York, I’m not in a position to comment on that comparison. If you feel that you are personally entitled to special pricing, then I’d suggest you petition the streaming TV companies directly. Nobody in this forum is able to help you with that.

Perhaps you’re better off with free over-the-air TV. Assuming you don’t have a long list of gripes about the cost of broadband Internet service, you could try Roku, Pluto TV, Tubi TV, and others. They offer a growing number of free news, weather, and entertainment channels.

• TaiPeng September 22, 2017 at 12:25 pm #

Why are you getting so triggered? I am stating an economic reality that areas which lack any streaming of local channels should not be forced to pay the same rate that somebody in NYC pays who can stream all their locals. Geography is different. States should be able to set the rates clearly. Prices are different in each state already with varying degrees of sales tax being imposed on internet purchases already anyway. So we already aren’t paying the same amount.

Would you want a one size fits all health insurance plan in which you as a nonsmoker had to subsize the medical costs of the smoker? No you wouldn’t. It’s economics. Smokers should pay higher rates.

• TaiPeng September 22, 2017 at 12:31 pm #

A better example. When you shop for groceries in Delaware do you want to pay Chicago prices? No.

11. Os Money September 18, 2017 at 4:20 pm #

Left as soon as I got the email about the higher prices. Got a year+ of DirecTV now when I bought my leeco tv. They weren’t adding any locals to my lineup and I get them anyways. No grandfathering in since I had it since it launched is kinda crappy so I moved on.

12. Matthew Dickinson September 18, 2017 at 5:43 pm #

Vue was my first streaming service other then Netflix, its price and dvr option was why I tried it first. Considering I’m on AT&T, I am now trying out DirecTV Now, only paying $10 with HBO.

13. Lynnneez September 18, 2017 at 9:30 pm #

Wow, great case for other providers to never offer a discount to some customers because you can never end the discount without being hated. PSVue should never have offered a slim package to begin with and charged all customers the same regardless of locals like all the other services have done all along. Apparently people would rather have the cost of 2 drinks at Starbucks every month in their pockets than DVR or the channels they want.

• carl_steve September 18, 2017 at 9:43 pm #

Well said. Some people seem to change their streaming service as often as they change their cell phone provider. It’s better to look at the big picture.

• dman September 19, 2017 at 9:11 am #

Is there a problem with changing streaming services?

• Evan September 21, 2017 at 10:41 am #

$10 is much more than 5c.

• carl_steve September 21, 2017 at 3:38 pm #

In my facetious comment about how often people change providers and how much they save, I think you missed the larger point that some of us were trying to make. Leaving Vue means missing out on the best DVR service currently available with streaming TV, getting charged for DVR usage elsewhere (there goes the 10 bucks you thought you were saving), being limited in how many hours you can record, possibly having no DVR service at all, missing out on the cable channel line-up that keeps growing, missing out on the increasing number of features and supported devices available with Vue, etc. That puts you ahead?

By the way, if you think you’ll never see a price increase at Sling TV or DirecTV NOW, I wouldn’t bet on it.

• TaiPeng September 21, 2017 at 4:20 pm #

Having no DVR but having more content. Whenever DTVN gets DVR how can you justify $40/mo for PS Vue anymore?

• carl_steve September 22, 2017 at 12:07 pm #

More content? My Vue subscription currently gives me 99 channels, and that number is expected to rise. That total includes 8 movie channels, over 25 sports channels, HBO, and Showtime. I hardly feel short changed.

• TaiPeng September 22, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

99 channels on PS Vue for $40? Nope. Nobody is getting that deal because it does not exist.

• Mike Thaler September 19, 2017 at 9:41 am #

Why should people w.o. ANY locals have to pay the same as people w. ALL locals?

14. Wayne Nash September 18, 2017 at 10:09 pm #

People don’t seem to do their homework when the sign on to one of these services. I signed up for Vue, very early on. When I researched it, I found out that people, like me, who lived in the pilot areas, that had locals, would pay $10 more for the packages. At the time, there was only a few cities that had locals. Everyone else, were charged $10 less, because they had no locals. Back then, everyone was asking, “How soon will I get my locals?”. Now that most people are getting their locals, PlayStation is raising your bill an extra $10, to the amount us folks, that had locals from the beginning, have always been charged. It’s not really a raise. It’s more like you were getting a discount, because of no locals, and now that you have locals, the discount ends.

• dman September 19, 2017 at 9:08 am #

The discount ends, and I leave.

• David1970 September 19, 2017 at 9:20 am #

I do not get one local from PS Vue. Yet my price will go up $10. Now I pay an additional $6 for CBS All Access. Total increase $16. Not cool. I did my homework. Sony promised at least one local channel and delivered zip. Time for more homework.

• carl_steve September 19, 2017 at 11:28 am #

The rollout of local channels is an ongoing process. It’s been completed in some markets, but not others. With all of the technical issues, I wouldn’t be surprised if the rollout drags on for months. I’d prefer that Sony take their time and do it right. Still, it’s not clear why Sony made the price change effective in July for new customers and October for current Slim customers. In any case, I’m not willing to lose DVR (or have to pay to use it), lose other features, and lose the cable channels I want just so I can save 10 bucks. All things considered, I still think Vue is the better value.

• David1970 September 20, 2017 at 11:38 am #

I’m not sure what a “rollout” is but I have been waiting for more than 1 1/2 yrs for a local channel. I believe this has more to do with Comcast contracts than Vue trying to do it right. One thing Sony does very poorly is communicate with their customer base.

• carl_steve September 20, 2017 at 2:37 pm #

I’ve been with Vue since March 2016, but the decision to add locals to the Slim markets was much more recent. I agree that Sony’s communication has been lousy…something I would expect from Dish (owner of Sling) and DirecTV. This has been a missed opportunity for Sony to set itself apart from the cable/satellite competition. After putting up with the notorious customer service issues with cable and satellite companies, I think cord cutters want more than just lower prices and convenience from a streaming service.

15. Ryan Thatcher September 19, 2017 at 11:51 am #

As soon as they announced the price increase for the Slim package, I was out. I wish they would add local channels as an extra to each package.

• Stanley J Ziemba September 22, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

Me too. I canceled that day

16. K_Dot September 22, 2017 at 11:01 am #

They need to get Viacom channels back…that’s what is kinda make me not subscribe for the prices they got for their packages. DirecTV Now offer much more but still pricey. It’s like paying for cable prices…I wish for once there is a TRUE “a la carte” where we as consumer pick the channels we actually want to watch and see all in a package or something.

17. Ken Guie September 30, 2017 at 11:00 am #

Question, I’ve read about the price changes for the slim package but what about those who are already on the higher plans like the Elite plan for 54 bucks? I’m on that after a terrible experience with Direct TV Now signing on for their first few months (free HBO and 30 bucks a month could not keep me there). Sure, it’s more expensive but I have access to all the channels I watched before and more Sony acquisitions or partner channels that i’ve really come to like. Also, I don’t have any of the headaches that I used to have on DTV. Unable to play, not being able to finish the shows I start, no DVR (a big downside for me). I have to honestly say that I really love my Playstation Vue Experience. I posted on my facebook one morning that I was watching Formula 1 on DVR on a bus to work and then finished it at work! I could never have dreamed of doing that reliably on DTV. I had sooooo many headaches. What does everyone think about that? Sometimes quality and features are worth paying for. I’ve been so much happier since switching and I hope PSVue grabs more customers once they try it. Once more, for me, the DVR feature is the best thing that no service should be without. I’m watching Inhumans right now recorded last night because my newborn needed me and of course that’s more important. I’m thankful for PS Vue.

• carl_steve October 1, 2017 at 10:00 am #

$54.99 is the new price for the Elite channel line-up. Your price won’t change in October. It’s nice to hear from someone who appreciates what Vue has to offer. So many posts have been from people who were pissed off about something.

18. John October 5, 2017 at 2:38 am #

If you guys are so concerned with local channels then get a antenna problem solved, a lot of you seem to be stuck back in the 20th century this is the 21st century people, honestly for me vue is the better deal, dvr included no extra franking fees for dvr service or for a cable box, me I’m happy with 21st century service, plus im saving like 60 and still get the channels i want, oh and btw i could care less about having local live channels.