Family watching TV

Report: Netflix & Amazon Are Fighting For a “Lord of the Rings” Show

It looks like the next blockbuster original show from Netflix or Amazon may be a “Lord of the Rings” series.

According to a report from Variety, author J.R.R. Tolkien’s estate and Warner Bros Television are in talks with Amazon for the rights to the show. Deadline later added that they have a source that says Netflix has also been approached about the project.

Sources say Warner Bros Television is hoping to find a streaming service in an effort to build off HBO’s “Game of Thrones” success. They are hoping “Lord of the Rings” with its similar period and style will give them their next big hit.

Right now the show is still in early production, and it is reported that no deal is done at this time; however, according to all reports Warner Bros Television is determined to find a partner for their new show and will keep looking until they find one.

Would you watch a “Lord of the Rings” show on Netflix or Amazon? Leave us a comment and let us know what you think.

15 Responses to Report: Netflix & Amazon Are Fighting For a “Lord of the Rings” Show

Tina Throne November 7, 2017 at 4:38 pm #

Most definitely would give it a try. Big shoes to follow those movies.

Pat3332 November 7, 2017 at 4:45 pm #

I would probably give it a look, but I think risking comparison to the original movies could be inviting failure.

chjode November 7, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

Why re-tread this property when they could do an awesome series based on tales from the Silmarillion and other huge tomes of published Middle Earth material?

Phuq_Me November 7, 2017 at 7:52 pm #

Did it ever occur to you that is exactly what they plan on doing? They are just saying Lord of the Rings so everyone knows what they are talking about. Game of Thrones is actually on BOOK ONE of the book series but is the name of the entire show which is based off several books

Sunflower November 7, 2017 at 10:03 pm #

The Shannara Chronicles based on the book series is getting its cultural marxism twist in Season 2 with two girls in a relationship. Wish they’d just leave the social engineering out of our tv programming for once.

Phuq_Me November 7, 2017 at 11:16 pm #

Don’t watch then. And also you are paranoid. Go outside. Quit seeing conspiracies everywhere. If I lived like that I’d just go ahead and shoot myself.

Sunflower November 7, 2017 at 11:22 pm #

You are fired from the position of CordCutter troll and are in danger of being BLOCKED and never heard from again : ) You are also fired from your armchair diagnosis side business.
          I did quit watching the series. Deleted my DVR request to record all the new episodes. Planning on dumping DirecTV this month to.

Kawshik Ahmed November 8, 2017 at 11:34 am #

The Silmarillion is not own by J.R.R. Tolkien’s estate and Warner Bros. It is own by Christopher Tolkien and he didn’t liked any of the movies.

Fred Koot November 7, 2017 at 7:52 pm #

Please no not Amazon.

Marc H November 8, 2017 at 12:06 am #

Amazon needs it more than Netflix, they have to do a high production value though, not syfy or network quality.

Ottis DA Da aD November 8, 2017 at 8:17 am #

Amazon has too many eggs in its basked to be needing anything. But I get what u mean as far as needing it for their video/shipping/etc service. I do like some amazon shows & I shop there several times a month with a $25 min purchase. I just cant get myself to desire to keep prime, its too many things & most of the extras outside of shipping is luke-warm. I’m more likely to watch a Netflix original.

Marc H November 11, 2017 at 9:17 pm #

I have prime but hardly watch it, I hardly watch netflix for that matter. the shipping is key to me. When I used to have to wait I would go find more stuff to get me to $25, probably wasting money. So now I don’t have to worry, and I can buy stuff for others and ship to them. I still have DTV so not a cord cutter yet.

rosalyn221 November 7, 2017 at 8:20 pm #

Depends on if it has a new storyline.

Neal "Quickdraw" Phillips November 7, 2017 at 9:08 pm #

I’d definitely do it. Would be awesome.

Michael K Pate November 8, 2017 at 2:12 pm #

Too soon, I think. The IP has been exploited enough for now.