Roku Screen Logo

Roku Has Released a Statement on The Roku 4 Fan Noise Issue

ROKU-4-REMOTE-3QUARTER-USBDo you have a Roku 4 with a loud fan? We talked with Roku PR, and they are asking you to contact them. Roku is offering an exchange for anyone with a broken fan.

In an official statement sent to Cord Cutters News Roku said, “There have been some reports of fans that are louder than expected. We encourage these customers to contact Roku customer support to determine if the player is performing as expected.”

Roku went on to say, “there are only a few cases and of course we are working with these customers with affected players to exchange their players.”

If you have a Roku 4 that is making a loud fan noise you can contact Roku at 1-888-600-7658 (ROKU).

From our own testing we found the Roku 4 to be quiet even after hours of use. The Roku 4 does get warm in a similar way that all the older Rokus heated up. We tested the Roku 4 with six hours of WatchESPN streaming last Saturday and had no noticeable fan noise.

You can see in this video that the Roku 4 was quiet after three hours of constant use.

So if you have a loud Roku 4 you should contact Roku.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

16 Responses to Roku Has Released a Statement on The Roku 4 Fan Noise Issue

1. Jason October 28, 2015 at 10:41 am #

Was this statement in writing? If so, can you post a pdf/screen shot of the actual letterhead or email? It would go a long way to establishing authenticity. Tks.

• Admin October 28, 2015 at 11:27 am #

We received this statement with our PR contact at Roku by email. We have a policy against giving posting personal contact details that are not publicly listed and posting full emails with out permission of the sender. (There are laws that limit our ability to post privet conversations as a news company.) You can see Tech Crunch has verified such emails to us from Roku in the past here: http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/08/hbo-now-is-at-last-coming-to-roku/ We also have a past relationship with Roku as we set up and hosted their AMA on Reddit.

You will also see that Time.com, USA Today, PC World, The Verge, Engadget, Tech Hive, and 100s of other big name sites have linked to our content as a source. So this will be one issue that you have to take our word on or call them at the number listed above and ask if you do not trust up.

• Jeff November 29, 2015 at 10:18 am #

Have you tested it with a 4k tv? I have and the fan is sooooo loud my wife won’t let me watch it.

• Admin November 29, 2015 at 11:31 am #

If it is that loud contact Roku for a replacement. They will send you a replacement Roku 4.

• Jeff November 29, 2015 at 11:43 am #

I’ve already set up a return to Amazon and purchased a new one from best buy. The point of my question…..is to determine if 4k is what puts the heat over the top to require the fan to run. Guess I’ll find out if the new one handles it any better.

• Alan January 30, 2016 at 10:53 pm #

I have had the same problem since I purchased it back in November. I have done all that they have told me to with updates ect… I waited thinking it was a software issue and would be fixed with updates but I find now that it is a KNOWN problem after talking to useless help in India. The solution I was given was to send back my device and they would evaluate it and send something back to me. The solution was a stupid solution because I would be without TV, a better solution would have been to charge me for the device and send a good one out with a return box for the junk one I am using. Fast forward to today Jan 30th and I purchased a Apple TV 4 because I have apple computers ect…. and I could not be happier. Apple just plain works, it is well thought through, the remote is way better and I really don’t need Amazon because I can find things just as easy on other venues. The best part is if an Apple product fails or gives you grief, you just call Apple or take it into an Apple store and you do not have to talk to anyone in India…… My problem is resolved Roku!

2. Jason October 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm #

Tks for the response. It’s not that there’s a matter of trust with you. It’s simply a matter that there’s no other “official” declaration of this (yet, anyway) save for what you’ve posted. Make sense?

If it was an official-to-be-disseminated statement, it stands to reason that other outlets would have received their own statement from Roku, AND that Roku, themselves, would have made a public comment about this on their Facebook page or Roku Blog or Forums page. Do you see my point? So, don’t take it as a personal affront. I’m looking for something concrete from them DIRECTLY on this, and not some mention of “call us” on a third-party website not affiliated with Roku (at least as far as I know). I’m sure you understand this.

3. Sam DeRenzis October 29, 2015 at 1:22 pm #

Roku,

Your fan design choice makes no sense. Why not just use standard 120mm fans underneath your unit that slide out for easy replacement by the end-user if something is wrong? You could limit their RPM’s to 1000 and there would be almost no noise + superior cooling. I fail to understand your problems here. It would even allow you to use cheaper fans as you wanted.

• Dan B. October 30, 2015 at 11:28 am #

“Standard” 120mm fans would make the device way too thick, more like an HTPC at some point… Some people are discovering that there wasn’t any thermal paste/pad between the processor and top lid that acts as a heatsink. This is causing the fan to spin very quick to try to keep the processor cool.

4. tony b January 7, 2016 at 6:34 am #

had roku4. first hour loud fan noise then fan stopped running . what surprised me is how much heat buildup there was after leaving it on that day. i could not hold it in my hands without burning me. i picked it up with a towel and touched the furniture , it was like touching a fry pan. it will do damage to your furniture if you leave it on. i notified roku and they offered a replacement but told them there unit is a fire hazard and there is no way i would trust this device. i truly believe it would of caught fire that night if i had left it on. i told them they need to recall every device and stop selling it.

5. Richard Majestic May 11, 2016 at 9:04 pm #

This is the worst designed product, it overheats so badly that the Ethernet chip drops the network and then the HDMI driver or video chip starts dropping back the resolution and then finally the POS stops working altogether. Roku needs to design a product that will work for more than a few minutes before overheating and failing.

Is there a Roku-5 or a Roku-4 with liquid cooling?

• Richard Majestic May 11, 2016 at 9:19 pm #

the India help is worse than tits on a hog, they are useless. I wish someone made a better unit or one with liquid cooling, this Roku-4 is awful. overheats then drops the internet connection, then gets so hot the picture drops to SD or worse. I’ve called and written to Roku over ten times, no improvements and no recall of the product and no fixes for this POS.

• James B May 12, 2016 at 3:18 pm #

Richard you are absolutely correct (although I don’t have enough personal experience to know how it compares to hog tits). My ROKU 4 is ready to burn my house down, it is the first and last ROKU 4 I will ever buy. I called today and they will not send me a ROKU 3 for a ROKU 4. That is all I asked of them. I have 9 ROKU units on my account. I have been an exemplary client since January of 2011 and if they will not help me, they will not help anyone.

6. JB June 18, 2016 at 6:48 pm #

Has the problem been remedied yet?

7. elConsciente November 12, 2016 at 7:45 pm #

***Question below, does anybody have answer***I purchased my Roku 4 over 9 months ago. It was my first streaming product so I thought it was normal to have a shoddy connection, heated base, and freezing channels. I bought brand knew expensive 4k hdmi cables and that still didn’t help with the connection. I finally gave up and decided that it was better to deal with this than go back to cable. Then I bought a Roku 3 for my non 4k tv and it works perfectly. I would watch CNNgo for hours and it would not freeze, no overheating or connection problems. I called Roku and they gave me the run around 3 times: first said to disconnect/delete channels/do updates, blah blah. I finally FIRMLY demanded a replacement product and have shipped the product back to them. Roku agreed to replace it.

While searching online today I just realized that this product is really defective and that Roku is no longer selling it. I’m concerned that they’re going to send me back a defective product rather than their new Roku Premiere or Roku Ultra product (4k capability). Has anybody returned a defective Roku 4 back to Roku under the warranty policy? Did they replace it with a good Roku 4 or new Premiere and/or Ultra? Thanks so much!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Roku preps Express, Premiere, and Ultra Models (plus HDR!) - August 27, 2016

[…] figured out how to design these in such a way to overcome heat issues and do away with the (loud) fan — similar to the Amazon Fire TV which does 4K in a tight, fanless enclosure. In any event, […]