Roku2

Roku Reaffirms That the Home Screen Will Never Have More Ads

In a age of more companies and sites cramming more ads on to their service Roku today reconfirmed their dedication to never having more ads on their home screen.

In a message to their advertisers Roku today announced that “There will only ever be one ad shown at a time, so you’ll never be competing with other brands for the viewer’s attention.”

This is great news for cord cutters who hate ads as more and more streaming players are cramming in ads of all kinds. From other players adding full motion video and even some having audio in the ads Roku’s dedication to simple single ads is a refreshing options.

Roku goes on to talk about the success of digital ads in 2016.

“2016 marked the first year that digital ad spending has caught up with traditional TV, reflecting the growing trend of cord-cutters switching to streaming services. With millions of active users and billions of hours streamed, the Roku platform offers an effective way for publishers to reach a large, engaged, and targeted audience.”

Clearly as more and more Americans stream their content digital ad sales will continue to increase. Hopefully more streaming services and players will resist the temptation to over load their services and devices with ads.

11 Responses to Roku Reaffirms That the Home Screen Will Never Have More Ads

1. Karl Childers January 5, 2017 at 6:41 pm #

I know a lot of people rail against the Apple TV for being more expensive than other devices but to me the extra cost is worth not having a third of the home screen (or any part for that matter) occupied by advertising.

• mau47 January 5, 2017 at 7:32 pm #

Exactly, I used to be a fan of Roku but the ads taking up 1/3 of the screen were just obnoxious. As you get more channels it gets burdensome to browse them when you can only get 3 across as opposed to 5 or 6 if they didn’t dedicate so much space to the ads. Plus the ads (branded buttons) on the remotes.

• Scott Blanchard January 6, 2017 at 11:23 am #

Agreed. Also, ATV4’s Siri remote is a gamechanger compared to what Roku currently offers.

2. N Schmitt January 5, 2017 at 9:07 pm #

Title to the story seems to be a bit misleading to what is stated in the quote. Never sounds like, well never.. Roku’s quote sounds like, well now there will only be one ad, but that could change in the future.

I appreciate all the work Luke. Good times for cord cutters.

3. Scott Blanchard January 6, 2017 at 11:08 am #

Roku was once the king of streamers based on app content. Now FireTV and AppleTV have a critical mass of apps, and the UI experience is night and day advanced vs the linear feel of Roku UI. Modern apps like Vue, Hulu, Netflix and DirectvNow require a more modern UI than Roku can easily provide. That’s why the most talked about apps always appear on Fire and Apple TV before Roku.
    Roku needs to overhaul the UI and innovate the experience to compete but it may be too late.

• CX1 January 6, 2017 at 11:27 am #

Isn’t FireTV plastered with ads?

• KKel100 January 6, 2017 at 11:28 pm #

I don’t think it’s too late for them. The should update their UI, however. I’ve found several channels (that I actually watch) on Roku that none of the other streamers have (especially the private Roku channels). Only AndroidTV comes that close and that’s by using kodi.

4. CX1 January 6, 2017 at 11:24 am #

And you can always block the adds before they get to it.

5. rcolbeck January 6, 2017 at 12:26 pm #

WTF? ADs on a paid machine. Thank God I never got Roku. Really disgusted at the idea.
    So happy with my shield ATV.

6. Norman January 6, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

The only “ads” I’ve seen have been available apps on the Roku platform. They really don’t bother me given their relevance. If they were something other than apps, say Pepsi or The Gap, then I’d be getting bitchy. Right now they serve as reminders to browse through an app I’ve considered in the pass or check out a new one. I’m in it for the experience I get though the apps, so right now it’s helpful and I’m okay with the added info.

7. KKel100 January 6, 2017 at 11:25 pm #

Thanks goodness. That one ad section is more than enough for me.