Sports Fans

Roots Sports is About to Become Cord Cutting Friendly

Roots Sports AT&T’s regional sports network has been one of the last holdouts against live TV streaming. Now it has been reported that Roots Sports will be on a live TV streaming service before the next NBA season starts this fall.he report comes from KSL and is believed to come from a source at the Utah Jazz. The Utah Jazz games are aired on Roots Sports and according to the source this fall you will be able to stream the games through a live TV streaming service like DIRECTV NOW.

What streaming service they will be on is not confirmed right now. Likely though it will be AT&T’s own DIRECTV NOW service as AT&T owns a controlling interests in both Roots Sports and DIRECTV NOW. Though there have been reports that PlayStation Vue and maybe even Sling TV are also in talks with Roots Sports for streaming rights.

• Roots Sports Networks Include:
  • Root Sports Northwest
  • Root Sports Pittsburgh
  • Root Sports Rocky Mountain
  • Root Sports Southwest
  • Root Sports Utah.

The Root Sports Network first launched back on April 1st 2011 and is headquartered in San Francisco, California. Formally Root Sports Networks was a Fox Sports Regional Networks affiliate. That all changed back on December when DIRECTV became part owner and changed the branding from FSN to Roots Sports.

For now we will have to  wait and see what service picks up Roots Sports but according to reports it is a done deal.

8 Responses to Roots Sports is About to Become Cord Cutting Friendly

1. REP June 7, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

Is Golden State in Roots Sports? That’s all I care about.

2. southhendo June 7, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

This is good news for me….Mountain West and Big Sky football.

3. Sean June 7, 2017 at 9:18 pm #

Root Sports Pittsburgh?

Now I get to watch my Penguins & Pirates Games!

4. FranchisePlayer June 7, 2017 at 9:22 pm #

Would be great to watch my Astros games without jumping through the MLB blackout nonsense. Seeing more Rockets games would also be nice.

• Jeff Mayeux June 13, 2017 at 10:15 pm #

Same here. I’m blacked out nearly 300 miles from Houston in SE Louisiana. The Root Sports cable footprint doesn’t come this far. The blackout restrictions are so old school. But so are the RSN and MLB executives.

5. Brian June 8, 2017 at 12:52 pm #

I hope its not a regional thing… and anyone can access all of the root channels.

6. Will Merrell August 24, 2017 at 10:48 am #

I’m hoping for Youtube TV…i’m mostly interested in sports channels and if they add ATT Sportsnet they’ll have pretty much all of them (except for Red Zone)

• Dan December 16, 2017 at 11:24 am #

I’m with you. I ditched cable and picked up YouTube TV last month to give it a spin and to be honest, I may quit this once the Olympics are over. Every time I check out the guide, I’m less and less interested. We watch maybe two or three sitcoms when we think of it, and that’s pretty much it. But I do wish I could watch the Astros and Rockets from time to time. I’ll probably cancel until they add AT&T Sports Net. Don’t even get me started on the terrible DVR system. 🙂