Since 2015 HBO has had first rights to new Sesame Street content. Now AT&T has announced that they are moving Sesame Street from HBO to HBO Max starting with season 51 of Sesame Street. After the programs air on HBO Max they will eventually make their way over to PBS Kids to air for free, but HBO Max will have exclusive rights to most of the Sesame Street catalog.
This deal will also include the entire Sesame Street library that will be available for streaming on HBO Max. This means you will have full access to over 4,500 episodes of the classic children’s programming.
“Sesame Street is, and always has been, the gold standard for children’s programming, and we’re thrilled that Sesame Workshop chose HBO Max as its new partner,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, WarnerMedia Entertainment and Direct-To-Consumer. “This brand is synonymous with quality and integrity, not to mention that nothing is more important than educating young new minds. This landmark deal perfectly illustrates the type of quality programming HBO Max will offer across every demographic.”
“The scope of our partnership with Sesame Workshop is unprecedented,” said Kevin Reilly, Chief Content Officer, HBO Max, and President, TBS, TNT, and truTV. “The beloved Sesame Street characters and these incredible new shows will be ambassadors for our service and the cornerstone of HBO Max’s extensive kids’ offering.”
“As we celebrate 50 years of Sesame Street and look to the future, we are thrilled to enter into this powerful partnership with HBO Max and their growing offering of best-in-class content,” said Steve Youngwood, Sesame Workshop’s President of Media and Education and Chief Operating Officer. “Producing this broad slate will help us deliver on our mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We are also excited about partnering with WarnerMedia and AT&T as we seek ways to expand Sesame Workshop’s impact around the world.”
With this deal, HBO will get exclusive rights to new Sesame Street Content including:
- Five new 35-episode seasons of Sesame Street
- New annual Sesame Street specials, kicking off with The Monster at the End of This Show, an animated version of the acclaimed ‘The Monster at the End of this Book’
- A family-centric live-action take on a late-night talk show, The Not Too Late Show with Elmo—featuring Sesame Street’s celebrity friends
- A new season of the award-winning animated Esme & Roy, as well as the previous season
- Two new animated series, the first a spin-off of Sesame Street called Mecha Builders (working title), featuring favorite Sesame Street characters as heroes in a robot-animation style; and the second series to be announced at a later date
- A new docuseries that will explore key issues for kids and families, building off Sesame Workshop’s expertise in tackling difficult issues from a child’s perspective
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!