doctor_who_new_series_9_pic

Sling TV Adds NBC Sports, MSNBC, BBC America, & More to Their Lineup

doctor_who_new_series_9_picSling TV unveiled today new single-stream and multi-stream services, “Sling Orange” and “Sling Blue.” Sling Orange now includes BBC America and is still priced at $20 per month. Sling Blue now features NBC, USA, Bravo, NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), Syfy, BBC America and costs $25 per month for new customers. In addition, Sling has introduced a multi-service discount that brings Sling Orange and Sling Blue together for $40 per month. Additional NBCUniversal networks are available in Sling Blue’s Extra packs, including E!, CNBC, MSNBC, Oxygen, Golf and NBCUniverso.

“Consumers now have more than 100 channels to choose from as they customize their ideal television experience,” said Roger Lynch, CEO, Sling TV. “With our new multi-service option and NBC Universal programming, Sling is one of the few pay-TV options where value continues to improve.”

Sling TV Pricing Updates
Introduced as a “beta” service in April, Sling TV’s multi-stream service, now called Sling Blue, is now priced at $25 per month. Customers who signed up during the beta phase will receive the additional channels found in Sling Blue and their price will remain $20 per month with their current subscription.

The single-stream service, now called Sling Orange, remains priced at $20 per month.

Sling TV Programming Updates
Sling Orange and Sling Blue

• Sling Orange and Sling Blue core services now include BBC America.

Sling Blue

• Sling Blue (multi-stream) is available to new customers for $25 per month and includes local NBC (for select markets), USA, Bravo, NBCSN and Syfy.
  • Sling Blue customers will have access to live, local NBC broadcast stations in the following 10 markets: Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Hartford, Conn., Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego and Washington D.C. Access to on-demand programming will be available in a later update.
  • Regional Sports Networks for select markets (Comcast SportsNet: California, Bay Area, Chicago and Mid-Atlantic) coming soon.
  • Sling TV expects to add local content from NBC affiliates in the future on a market-by-market basis.

Sling Blue Extra Packs
Sling TV launched new networks across its Sling Blue Extras, each priced at $5 per month:

• “Sports Extra” (New Extra Pack) Golf Channel joins beIN Sports, Outside TV and Univision Deportes
  • “Lifestyle Plus Extra” – E!, Oxygen and Vibrant TV join VH1, Cooking Channel, DIY, FYI, WE tv and LMN
  • “World News Extra” – BBC World News, CNBC and MSNBC join HLN, euronews, France 24, News18, NDTV 24/7 and RT Network
  • “Best of Spanish TV” – NBCUniverso joins 24 other Spanish and bilingual channels
  • All other Extras for Sling Blue remain unchanged

Sling Orange Extra Packs
Sling TV launched new networks across its Sling Orange Extras, each priced at $5 per month:

• “Lifestyle Plus Extra” – Vibrant TV joins VH1, BET, Cooking Channel, DIY, FYI, WE tv and LMN
  • “World News Extra” – BBC World News joins HLN, euronews, France 24, News18, NDTV 24×7, Fusion and RT Network

Don’t forget we are giving away a Roku!

21 Responses to Sling TV Adds NBC Sports, MSNBC, BBC America, & More to Their Lineup

1. JeffO June 30, 2016 at 7:12 am #

WOW!, Nice response to the streaming pressure Sling! On the surface it looks like a big win.

• Aaron McBroom June 30, 2016 at 11:30 am #

Yes, on the surface. All of the competition, current and future, has some sort of Cloud DVR support, Vue, SFNTV, VidGo…. Step it up Sling!

2. Mark June 30, 2016 at 8:18 am #

This would be an easy sell to my wife if it had a dvr.

3. David Hill June 30, 2016 at 8:29 am #

I like that we are seeing improved packages. However, at 75 bucks a month for my 200 channel cable package, I said enough. Article above talks about 100 channels now being available for 40. Well, if that’s the case, I was better off with my original cable deal at 75 for 200. I will wait for individual channel purchases, that is what people want, slim packages are the bridge, and that’s a good thing.

• Ben M June 30, 2016 at 9:45 am #

Were you better off? You have to look at how many of those 200 channels you were watching. If you were only watching 20 of them, then you were paying $75 for 20 channels. If you can get the same 20 channels for $40 then you actually save money. You can’t just look at total channels vs price you have to look at channels you actually watched for $75 vs channels you would actually watch on Sllng for $40.

The truth is that the packages offered by cable and now Sling, Playstation Vue, SFN, etc. had/have a handful of channels people actually watch and the rest are filler/crap. This supports your statement about wanting to be able to purchase individual channels…only those you watch. But….if you have 10 channels that you watch and each one charges $5.99 a month (like CBS All-Access) then your monthly cost would be $60 where as if all ten channels are available in a package from Sling and others for $40 then you are better off buying the package vs individual channels.

My point being is that individual channel purchase is great if you only watch 2-3 but there is a price point where individual channel purchase will exceed package deals even if package deals have 75% filler that you would never watch.

4. Andrew LeRoy June 30, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Luke, if you’re a “Multi-Stream Beta” subscriber, you get to stay at $20 and receive the new channels. Might want to add this to your write-up. Thanks!

• Cord Cutters News June 30, 2016 at 9:13 am #

Thanks Andrew we have it under the Price Updates area.

5. chjode June 30, 2016 at 10:46 am #

It’s almost too much. I’m glad to see choice and competition, but heck, I don’t watch all the channels with the basic Sling TV bundle, let alone need more.

6. Dennis June 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm #

Anyone know if all these channels will have 3-day replay? Or will they be live only like the Disney owned channels?

7. Jack Astor June 30, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

Very happy with the new channels, watching BBC America as we speak. Will be watching the Tour de France on NBCSN.

I have no need or desire for DVR functionality.

8. silvershamrockd June 30, 2016 at 2:01 pm #

I love it. Because I subbed to the Beta version, I got to order Blue for $19.99, which left enough in the budget to get Cinemax and two additional packages for a total of $39. TWC used to charge me $160!! We also sub to Hulu’s $7.99 service, so no need to DVR most of the things we watch. HD antenna and Roku channels with free content give us the rest (Roku’s PBS channel is awesome).

Side note: I tried the Vue trial, and it was horrible on Roku. I hear it is wonderful on other platforms, but happy to keep my Sling, especially now that they’ve added SyFy and Bravo (finally).

9. Stratoblaster June 30, 2016 at 2:14 pm #

Bummer still no Big Ten Network anywhere in there. I wouldn’t want to pay $40+ for that and the rest of the range of common sports channels anyway though. I’ll be switching to Vue’s $34 package sometime before Labor Day solely for this reason.

10. FREETELEVISION June 30, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

SLING JUST KICKED BUT!!!!!!! I had fifteen hours left on my PS Vue free trial. Sling came just in time. 70 channels and I have 3 streams to share with my kids. Sling listened to their customers and DELIVERED!!!!!!!!!!!

11. gchasse June 30, 2016 at 6:29 pm #

I want to sign up but missing Fox News, Fox Business. Deal breakers for me. I would also like to see MLB Network, NHL Network, NBA TV and NFL Network. Right now what HULU is proposing is better than this, and I am willing to pay the extra to get it.

12. JeffO July 1, 2016 at 8:52 am #

Dear Sling TV,
    I know you are trying to keep up with and potentially defeat your competitors by offering the very best streaming packages in the dawning of this, soon to be gigantic service industry. I also know that you are aware exactly how to do this as do all of us cord cutters. I want you to have the courage to do it, because if you don’t one of your competitors surely will and Sling TV will look like the betamax/laserdisc of the streaming industry. We are all thinking it, but no one is saying it and i’m sure your waiting to counter punch. A la carte channels, there its out there! I’m sure that if you offer an a la carte based service you will crush all other streamers, period! $20.00 or $25.00 minimum, $1.00 – $1.50 per month per channel and then go from there and GAME OVER you win. You will not lose money, you will be overwhelmed with new customers (like me and most other cutters) and be on every media outlet. Think about it, do what we are all thinking, crush the competition and the cable providers with one punch.

13. Erik The Red July 2, 2016 at 1:24 am #

I’m just happy Comedy Central was added. That’s the only channel I was missing from cable. I’m set now. 🙂

14. mike_thoms July 8, 2016 at 1:14 pm #

Wish there was more than a “coming soon” for Comcast. Right now local sports is the only thing keeping me from saving at least $100 every month

15. Ron Star Shine March 8, 2017 at 8:47 am #

Sling TV is usfull BUT for some reason the MSNBC channel is unwatchable due to a throbbing pounding drum music (can’t really call it music, more like a techno torture) instead of the commercial brake. So half the time you have to rush to quickly put it on mute, or just switch to CNN, unless you want to bring on a seizure! Nightmare!

16. Anastasia Beaverhausen March 21, 2017 at 4:28 pm #

I just want TWO channels, CNN and MSNBC. Why do I need to pay for all those other junk channels.

• Ron Star Shine April 4, 2017 at 9:59 pm #