Smiling family sitting holding remote control

Sling TV is Coming to Select Samsung Smart TVs

Today Sling TV and Samsung announced that Sling TV is now the first live TV service available on select Samsung Smart TVs. The new Sling TV app is now available on Samsung’s 2016 line of Smart TVs, and will roll out to additional models in the future.

“With football season in full swing, we know our customers want to catch every play on the biggest screen possible,” said Jimshade Chaudhari, vice president of product management, Sling TV. “Integrating Sling TV into select Samsung TVs creates a seamless experience for millions of Samsung customers, so they can watch their favorite team without the hassle of installing additional equipment, additional remotes or switching inputs.”

“Integrating Sling TV into our line of Smart TVs helps simplify live TV for our customers,” said Salek Brodsky, Vice President of Content and Services for Samsung Electronics. “As viewers continue to embrace streaming live TV via apps, Sling TV is an obvious win for those who want to truly personalize their entertainment experience for the best value.”

No timeline was given for when Sling TV would come to additional Samsung Smart TVs.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

8 Responses to Sling TV is Coming to Select Samsung Smart TVs

1. TV Barrington November 7, 2017 at 9:31 am #

If I had to take a wild guess, either Samsung will be using this to help sell newer TVs, or the hardware within older Tvs (mine is 5 years old) can’t handle the current features.

There have been many times to where I wished my current 5 yr old Samsung had the Sling app installed so that I could have one less device and remote.

• ConceptVBS November 7, 2017 at 3:17 pm #

Dont despair. They may have the app available for older TV’s on their app store.

2. SS November 7, 2017 at 10:02 am #

Samsung should give up its bulky Smart TVs and just go with Android TV like Sony. They could take advantage of Android TV and link your TV experience with their Samsung Galaxy phones experience. They could be dominating NVIDIA Shield and others but they’re stuck with their outdated firmware.

• ConceptVBS November 7, 2017 at 3:18 pm #

Android TV is sluggish. Their smart TV’s already have integration with their Galaxy phones.

• David Batten November 7, 2017 at 4:56 pm #

I don’t know which Android TV’s you have been using. But mine (2 NVidia Shield TV’s and a Xiaomi Mi Box) are way faster than any Roku or FireTV.
        I have also used the Smart TV functions on my 2016 Samsung. It is slower as well.

• SS November 8, 2017 at 5:38 pm #

Android TV is already much superior to Samsung smart hub. So, why create a different platform/OS, when you can simplify everything into one platform?

3. Crystal Kolb November 8, 2017 at 5:40 am #

Ugh i wish samsung would stop forcing apps on us. I have so many apps that samsung installed on my tv that i dont need, want, or use but can’t delete. Its ridiculous! Why the heck do i need facebook on my tv?! I dont! But i cant uninstall it amongst many other apps that i dont need or use and can’t delete. Definitely slowing down my tv. FIX IT SAMSUNG. GIVE US OPTIONS TO REMOVE ANY APP WE WANT!!!

4. Mike Thaler November 8, 2017 at 8:32 am #

Never could understand the idea of a “Smart TV”. Eg. Few years back, bought a “smart” Bluray player. It has been obsolete for a long time as far as the smart functions are concerned. A “TV” should just be a viewing panel. It should last for years – and if 4K – won’t be obsolete for a long time. The smart functions in today’s smart TV will be obsolete long before TV is.
    Get your “smartness” from easily updatable and replaceable “boxes” like Roku, FireStick, etc.