Sling TV 3

Sling TV Saw Strong Year Over Year Growth During the Super Bowl

The 2018 Super Bowl was a big moment in the world of cord cutting. Overall the game streamed smoothly for most cord cutters. Many live TV streaming services stayed up and streamed the game without issues including Sling TV, fuboTV, and DIRECTV NOW.

We are starting to get some detailed statistics about how big the game was for streaming services. fuboTV announced that they had 150,000 viewers during the game, and we just learned that Sling TV saw a 27% year over year growth compared to the 2017 Super Bowl game.

Sling TV has continued their policy of not disclosing subscriber numbers. As best we can tell Sling TV now has over 2 million live TV subscribers to their service. This makes Sling TV the #1 streaming service when looking at subscriber numbers. Most analysts agree that Sling TV has the most subscribers of any live TV streaming service.

Although Hulu and PlayStation Vue did go down during the game, both of their outages ended up being short outages. Even the free streams on the NBC app and the Yahoo Sports app offered smooth high quality streams.

While live TV streaming technology is still a fairly young technology, companies are slowly building up their services to become more stable as more Americans become cord cutters.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

12 Responses to Sling TV Saw Strong Year Over Year Growth During the Super Bowl

1. Michael Allbritton February 7, 2018 at 11:23 am #

I watched the Superbowl in the NBC Sports app on my Apple TV 4, and except for one little hiccup in the second half I never lost the stream. However I wouldn’t say the stream was “high quality.” Since NBC doesn’t stream any sports at 60 fps, in many shots the background of the field was slightly pixelated and a little fuzzy. I really hope NBC gets their heads out of you-know-where and updates the app and their steaming technology to delivery 60 fps. Watching the 2016 Summer Olympics were such a horrid experience that I’m thinking of subscribing to Hulu Live TV just to watch the Winter Olympics and avoid the NBC app.

• Mike Thaler February 7, 2018 at 12:16 pm #

Michael A.
      Does NBC OTA locals “send” at 60fps?

• Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 12:22 pm #

1080I at 30fps in Orlando

• Michael Allbritton February 7, 2018 at 12:33 pm #

My TV doesn’t tell me the frame rate of the OTA signal, just that it’s 1080i. But I do know the NBC picture is better (when it comes in) OTA than in the NBC sports app.

• Behinder February 8, 2018 at 5:58 pm #

I was watching stream from satelite by my friend’s slingbox and it was far better quality than internet stream from NBC app that looks like SD.

2. Soyntgo4it February 7, 2018 at 11:25 am #

Then they all cancelled Ha…

3. Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 11:39 am #

I didn’t know sling offered local nbc

• Kevin Jordan February 7, 2018 at 12:10 pm #

Depends on your location. They have locals some places, but not nearly as complete as other services. For example, they don’t have any of my locals.

• DON February 7, 2018 at 12:13 pm #

Sling Tv has NBC, Fox local on sling blue.

• charles perry February 7, 2018 at 2:10 pm #

You have to be in a big market to get local NBC, otherwise it’s NBC on demand.

• Nathan John Ganiere February 7, 2018 at 7:15 pm #

yeah here in Minnesota when I had it all they had was Fox, doubt it’s changed at all in a year’s plus time…………

4. Steve Hansen February 7, 2018 at 11:15 pm #

I didn’t watch that game this year for the first time and won’t again. But since May ’16 I’ve had Sling Blue, which in NY has channel 4 NBC. OTA is a better picture but Sling still looks fine. I rarely watch that channel on Sling and I don’t want Sling for locals I can get ota, but I have put it on when away from the tv and it’s always worked without a problem. In the nearly 2 years with Sling I just don’t have any real gripes, especially when watching with the Rokus; my pcs can have a momentary drop in picture quality but I believe that is due to the limitations of the pc graphics processors.

It was the 2016 super bowl that led me to throw out the traditional cable when I decided to hook up an antenna and then compared the picture to the cable feed and the ota picture blew away the cable. But we needed the YES Network for Yankees games and HGTV for my wife and Sling had both, for 20 bucks a month, which they have not raised on me even though new subscribers pay 25 for the same. 2 years later, the super bowl is no longer on the tv but the antenna still is and Sling has been a more than ample and good supplement with rarely a glitch. I’m not surprised that I haven’t heard or read of any game streaming problems with them like I have with other services, and I’m more impressed now that I read they say their user numbers are up so much.