Sling_Television_logo_white_square
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Sling TV Updated Now Blocks Android TV/Kodi Boxes And Fire TV

Sling_Television_logo_white_webready

UPDATE: Fire TV devices are also blocked in the latest updated.

We are receiving wide spread reports that the Sling TV app for Android now blocks Android TV boxes like the G-Box Q. After installing the app on a G-Box Q you receive the following error message “This version of Sling TV is not supported on this device.  Please try re-installing from the app store (2-49)”.

We can confirm that the app use to work as seen in our review of Sling TV from a few weeks ago.

We can also confirm if you have an older version of the app it will still work. This does not seem to be a live update to all apps just new downloads of the Sling TV app. Our G-Box Q allowed us to use the app as well as sign out and back in.

The update seems to have happened sometime in the last week. Sling TV has not made official announcement and they have not replied to our request for comment yet. (Being the weekend we don’t expect to hear back until Monday.)

Are you having this issue with the G-Box Q or other Android based boxes? Please let us know in the comments.

Please follow us on Twitter, or like us on our new Facebook Page for updates on this issue.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

20 Responses to Sling TV Updated Now Blocks Android TV/Kodi Boxes And Fire TV

Joe February 8, 2015 at 5:25 pm #

If you have root it takes about 10 seconds to get around this. There also isn’t anything worth loading the new Sling version for.

Admin February 8, 2015 at 5:34 pm #

For what? Fire TV? From our testing even rooted Fire TVs are blocked with the newest version on the Sling TV app that came out in the last week. If you get different results we would love to hear about it.

Joe February 8, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

If you have root you can go in and take out what the new sling app is looking for, app will run just fine after that. Sorry, not going to post what to change. People that know how an Android STB works vs a tablet or phone should be able to figure it out.

jesse February 21, 2015 at 7:29 pm #

Dude… please… what do we need to remove…. I don’t know what it is? I edited build.prop then saw your comment that it’s not that…. pleassseee!

Bill March 18, 2015 at 11:25 am #

Any update with the changes needed to make sling tv work on the gbox q? The working app is now saying it needs to be updated to a newer version. Is there any instructions for a work around?

Admin March 18, 2015 at 11:39 am #

I’m looking around but have not found any yet.

TrollPolice April 17, 2015 at 6:57 pm #

It’s obvious Joe is trolling because he does not give an answer as to how to do it. I could say I have been to the moon and back, too, but that would make me a braggart and a liar.

Mo February 8, 2015 at 7:00 pm #

Edit your build.prop file to spoof as another device.

Joe February 8, 2015 at 7:56 pm #

Hint: it isn’t looking at build.prop for blocking.

Adam February 9, 2015 at 9:31 am #

How about another hint? LOL. I’ve been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out your solution because the old apk isn’t displaying the menu overlay correctly to allow me to change the connection settings.

jason February 9, 2015 at 11:39 pm #

No need to edit anything you can just grab the older sling app and sidled to the fire tv. works fine on mine till the official app is available. This is why i use the fire tv. I get official apps. The Q box will likely always be blocked because its not a android tablet or phone. Who knows

kk February 21, 2015 at 5:00 pm #

I have an android Gbox and yes I am getting the same message and having that issue.

kk February 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm #

I’d love to know the workaround if there is one or if slingtv is going to open the version for the gbox soon.

Admin February 21, 2015 at 5:26 pm #

If you dig around on Google you should find a old copy of the Sling.TV app. It should still work for you.

fish bait February 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm #

Old app isnt working for me as well on g box mx2. Sits at the loading screen forever… Anyone have any ideas on this?

Warren March 12, 2015 at 8:08 am #

Any updates on this? I am running an older version of the app on my gbox q, but would like to get to the point where it is supported properly and I can auto update.

Admin March 12, 2015 at 8:17 am #

Sadly no reply from Sling TV when I email them about this.

Warren March 17, 2015 at 9:14 pm #

An older version of the app worked on my gbox q until the kernal update today. It then forced me to update the app and now its broken again. Also had a similar crappy experience on my xbox one with it allowing me to sign in, but cannot authorize playback. So far they suck.

MT March 17, 2015 at 9:17 pm #

Not working on my G-Box anymore. The old version that used to work is not working either. Not it states “You need to upgrade to the latest version before proceeding.

Admin March 17, 2015 at 9:43 pm #

Looks like they found a way to finally block out all of these Android TV boxes. Hopefully they reconsider as it worked very well on my G-Box Q.