Cheerful couple cuddling and sitting on the couch watching tv at home in the living roomWith a growing list, live TV streaming options finding the right for you is increasingly confusing. So we wanted to break them down once again and help you make the decision between Fubo TVSling TV, Hulu’s live TV betaYouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, and DIRECTV NOW more easily.

Recently there have been many changes to this list. New channels have been added and others have been dropped. Some services like DIRECTV NOW added more device support. We plan to do our best to keep this guide updated and now have it added to the menu at the top of the site. For now, this list is as accurate as we can make it as of July 10th 2017 with all the latest updates. Can you help improve it? Send us an email using the contact us tab with any changes you would suggest.

First you should look at which of these services works on the devices you own?

Are you on a mobile device? Struggling to see the chart? Here is a PDF you can download for easier viewing.

Streaming Player Sling TV PS Vue DIRECTV NOW YouTube TV Hulu Beta Fubo TV
Roku X X  X X
Fire TV X X X  X X
Apple TV X X X X X
Chromecast X X X X X X
iOS X X X X X X
Android Phones/Tablet X X X X X X
Android TV X  X  X
Xbox One X X
PlayStation 4 X

*Note Chromecast will work on any Chromecast supported device like Android TV. We did not include YouTube TV on Android TV as there is no Android TV app for YouTube TV.

All of the services offer local channels in different markets. You can find out what locals are available in your area by visiting their sites.

You can find a full list of PlayStation Vue local channels and markets HERE. You can find the local channels for DIRECTV NOW here. (All 5 markets YouTube TV is i in offers local channels.)

Next, you should check to see which service has the channels you want?

Channel Sling TV PS Vue DIRECTV NOW YouTube TV Hulu Beta Fubo TV
Viceland X X X X
WE tv X X  X X
 Fox Deportes X X
Weather Channel X X
WeatherNation X
YES  X  X  X  X  X X

*YouTube TV also includes access to YouTube Red.
*Hulu also includes access to Hulu’s on demand service.
*CSN in some markets is now NBC Sports [region] all CSN channels will be changing over in the next few months.
*Found a error? Please email us and we will fix it.

Regional Sports Networks:

All 6 major streaming services offer regional sports networks. Including CSN (being renamed NBC Sports Networks) and Fox Sports Networks. Check each one of their serveries to find out what is offered in your area.

Number of Streams

DIRECTV NOW offers two streams.

Sling TV will allow you to stream one or three streams at once depending on what package you sign up for. You can also use your Sling TV login for some apps such as WatchESPN.

PlayStation Vue will work on five devices at once but some channels will not work outside of your home network. You can use your PlayStation Vue login on different apps such as WatchESPN.

YouTube TV allows for 3 streams at once both inside and outside of your home.

Fubo TV allows 2 streams at the same time.

Hulu live TV beta starts with 2 streams but you can add more for $14.99 a month.

DVR

DIRECTV NOW has no DVR, but many channels offer limited on-demand. Yet many of them miss random episodes.

PlayStation Vue offers a 28-day DVR and after 28 days the recording is removed.

Sling TV has a DVR and most of their channels have on-demand versions of the aired shows. Sling TV is offering 50 hours of DVR space with no time limit on how long you can keep a recording for $5 a month.

YouTube TV will keep shows for 9 months.

Fubo TV offers 72 hours of cloud DVR.

Hulu live TV beta starts with 50 hours of storage. If you want more storage or the ability to fast forward you can pay $14.99 a month to get that ability.

So what service should you pick?

Hopefully this guide has helped you find the right service. If you are still wondering which is the best for you and your family the best thing to do is to try the free trial for Fubo TVSling TV, YouTube TV, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, and DIRECTV NOW offer. Our suggestion is to give them a try and see if you like them. Check each service’s site for current prices because they keep changing. (Note: The PlayStation Vue charges an extra $10 a month for some markets.)

31 Responses to Sling TV vs DIRECTV NOW vs PlayStation Vue vs Fubo TV vs Hulu vs YouTube TV We Break Them Down For You

cyberb0b July 10, 2017 at 8:59 am #

Too bad that you guys don’t know how to build a responsive website.

Herman222 July 10, 2017 at 9:54 am #

Two things…

I guess you’ll need to add the new CenturyLink Stream bundle to your breakdown…

As far as YouTube TV is concerned, it gives you access to YouTube Red Originals, but YouTube Red isn’t included in the YouTube TV membership. However, if you are a YouTube Red member, you can watch the YouTube content on YouTube TV without ads.

cyndikdb July 10, 2017 at 11:22 am #

Check Vue’s new pricing – it’s been “standardized”. All markets now pay the higher price – whether subscriber gets locals or not.

Carl Collie July 10, 2017 at 11:31 am #

All markets will have locals soon, that is why they standardized their pricing. Probably should have waited until that happened.

cyndikdb July 10, 2017 at 10:40 pm #

Buzz – nope. I live in the Des Moines area. I know – somewhere just short of nowhere. But there is only CBS – nothing else and we aren’t listed anywhere on anyone’s list…

Carl Collie July 11, 2017 at 10:02 am #

You should start to see ABC and NBC soon as they Sony signed a national distribution instead of negotiating with each individual station. Did the same with Fox and many of those stations are now appearing across the country.

Matt Johnson July 11, 2017 at 1:01 pm #

That is why he said “will have” locals soon. You may not have them today but hopefully in the coming months that will change.

RKusaf August 11, 2017 at 2:58 pm #

I live just outside JBLM (near Tacoma, WA about 30mins. South of Seattle). My solution to this is simple: I have Xfinity 200Mb/s internet which comes with all local channels plus couple extra to include HBO for $79/month. This leaves $35 for the “basic” DirecTV Now package.

(Based on my zipcode I would only get ABC & FOX as local channels with DirecTV.)

stumpy579 July 10, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

With Sling/DTVNow subscribers have ALWAYS paid the same price whether they get locals or not. Vue was the only service offering a discount. Current subscribers will lose the discount in three months.
      “‘Tis better to have had a discount and lost it than to have had no discount at all”
      Alfred Lord Television

Robert Anthony Hartzell July 10, 2017 at 2:28 pm #

Vue will still be more expensive than it’s competitors in the end. With the discount it was more on par with the others. One could argue that Vue’s features add value to the overall package, but on a price per channel basis, it is not cheap.

Carl Collie July 10, 2017 at 7:54 pm #

Depends on the channels you want, if you are going to price per channel, but 50 of those channels are garbage you still have a load of garbage. $45 is the same price as Sling Blue/Orange with DVR and $5 less than DirecTV’s comparable package. There is no perfect provider they all have tradeoffs, but in the end the prices are pretty much the same, you just have to determine which features you rate higher, isn’t competition great? For example I could not give a flip about a single Viacom channel but Discovery and MLB mean a lot to me.

Robert Anthony Hartzell July 10, 2017 at 11:52 pm #

I agree there is no perfect provider right now. They all have something you have to sacrifice. As far as Orange + Blue goes, it was never really considered a “good deal”. Most who recommend Sling admit Blue + Orange is when the service becomes expensive. You just have to bundle wisely with Sling to save money.

ChanceDM July 10, 2017 at 11:43 am #

I like the chart comparing the channels; it’s very helpful. I know it would be a lot more work, but what if in place of the Xs, you had a dollar amount which indicates the price of the package needed for that channel? This may be tough for Sling due do it’s pricing structure, so you may have to have 2 different dollar amounts in that case.

ChanceDM July 10, 2017 at 11:44 am #

Unless you treated Sling Blue, Sling Orange, and Sling Orange+Blue as their own columns.

janecek July 16, 2017 at 3:42 pm #

Yep, also perhaps group channels by most general type of channel: movies, women’s, sports, news, etc. might make decision making more easy.

stumpy579 July 10, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

I have Vue $34.99 that will go to $44.99 in three months so I checked out Sling. To get orange and blue plus dvr is at price I will be paying for Vue. First thing I notice is I get zero locals and I don’t get my regional sports network(CSN Philly) but the price is the same for me as it is for subscribers who get all locals or some locals and their RSN. Vue is missing some channels that Sling has and Sling is missing some channels that Vue has but for me at $45 Vue is the much better choice. With DTVNow it looks like I would need the $60 package and still no locals no RSN and no dvr. Even If Sling/DTVNow had my RSN and CBS local that I get with Vue. it still wouldn’t be as good as the $45 dollar Vue package for me. I would like to see a chart comparing what each plan offers at what price.

Robert Anthony Hartzell July 10, 2017 at 2:08 pm #

You summed it up well. There’s sacrifices with any of the services you select. Vue is expensive and you lose networks like Viacom and A&E. Sling can be a lot cheaper, but it comes at the cost of losing Disney or multiple streams. Directv Now is a happy medium, but their on demand sucks and there’s no DVR. Hulu’s addon prices are dumb. Fubo is still missing a lot of sports channels.

If I hadn’t gotten my Go Big promo reinstated with DTVN, I would have went with Sling. I have an antenna for my locals. I can live without ESPN and Disney. Yes, their DVR is limited, but their on demand is updated regularly. I could watch anything anywhere with them. They have a bandwidth limiter if my ISP ever decides to use data caps. They’re prices are more competitive. Out of all these services, Sling is trying to better themselves regularly. There’s a reason why they are #1 at what they do.

Carl Collie July 10, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

Vue is expensive? It is actually the same as the Sling with a better DVR and better app access. It is cheaper than a comparable DirecTV package with no DVR.

Robert Anthony Hartzell July 10, 2017 at 11:50 pm #

When it comes down to cost per channel, Sling is cheaper. This website did a comparison not too long ago. Yes, if you pick Orange + Blue on Sling, the two are similar in costs, but Orange + Blue is even considered expensive.

Steve Lammers July 10, 2017 at 11:24 pm #

The DirecTV Now link to check Local channel availability is incorrect, You can go right to their Channel Lookup Tool here – http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/attLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=att_cms_local_channels

rljnc1500 July 11, 2017 at 8:27 am #

Just wondering, the chart shows DirectTV Now not working on Andriod TV, but I recently purchased a 2017 Sony 4k and it has the DirectTV app on it and stats DirectTV Now ready. Not that I will every use it I have PS VUE of course like everyone I will have to look at options because of the price increase.

Troy July 11, 2017 at 9:53 am #

I have a Sony tv. That built in app is only for if you have standard direct TV. The TV has genie built in.

rljnc1500 July 11, 2017 at 10:11 am #

Yes thanks Troy just figured that out, use to have directTV, been a cord cutter so long don’t think in those terms anymore.

Roger

Troy July 11, 2017 at 9:57 am #

I have been using hulu’s live service since day 1 and love it. Price is good, dvr is good and if you stream from a tablet, you can manipulate your location to get all the networks.

TheEnd July 11, 2017 at 10:06 am #

Soon I will be moving and I can dump Cox in the dumpster then I’m cutting the cord which means I have I huge decision on my hands I really want whoever has the best “DVR” that way it cut outs Hulu for me(No Hulu live on my Roku so they are out the window) So it comes down to PSVue vs Sling for me in a battle anyone wanna chime in on their DVRs lol

Greg Stanley July 12, 2017 at 7:18 am #

I’ve had a great experience with PSVue. DVR is really nice – just add a show to your shows and it records all episodes (keeps for 30 days). It costs a little more, but was the only streaming service to have all local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX). Still a lot less than cable! Another cool thing as mentioned above is you can use your PSVue login as a “cable provider” login for tons of apps, getting lots of on demand shows. I have an Apple TV.

janecek July 16, 2017 at 3:41 pm #

fyi, looks like Universal channel has been sunset, replaced by the Olympic Channel. I see Olympic Channel listed on tv.youtube.com. I signed up to watch online since at https://www.olympicchannel.com/ and did notice this mention:

“We’ve partnered with selected media partners in the US to bring you Olympic Channel Plus content.

In order to view this content, please sign in with one of our partner accounts.

FuboTV
    Hulu
    Optimum
    PlayStation Vue”

fwiw

Bill Eastman July 17, 2017 at 2:35 am #

I don’t see Olymic channel

RKusaf August 11, 2017 at 3:03 pm #

I’ve noticed a lot of the comments are loving Sling’s price plan. I’d like to remind those people that the figure of speech “you get what you pay for” fits Sling TV. I’ve tried them twice over the past 3 years and both times… HORRIBLE buffering. Just keep that in mind.

useyourhead2 October 15, 2017 at 12:39 pm #

Vue is going up this month from $34.99 to $44.99. Yeah, they offer a lot, but when you consider the price for a cable package, they are going to be chasing a lot of their customers.

I’m looking at ways to dump Vue and still get Investigation ID and HGTV that my wife likes; don’t need anything else as I get most of what I want on the Internet or via Free TV. Haven’t yet found the replacement for Vue, but have to dump them next week.