playstation-vue-screenshot-05_1920

Sling TV vs Playstation Vue

For the full review please watch our YouTube video above.

From Sony:

• Live TV, movies, sports and On Demand programming from 100+ channels
  • No annual contracts, no cable or satellite plan required and no surprise fees
  • Save thousands of hours of your favorite shows to the cloud DVR with My Shows
  • Favorite Channels bookmarks your top networks front and center
  • Search for what you want across live, DVR and on demand content and find exactly what you’re looking for

PlayStation™Vue is a new TV service with live TV, movies and sports, without a cable or satellite subscription. Now available on Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick devices for in-home use. Download the app and sign-in with your PlayStation Network account. Available nationwide.

From Sling TV:

• Start with the Best of Live TV: 20+ channels. Clear & simple pricing. No catch, no kidding. ESPN, ESPN2,AMC, HGTV, CNN, A&E, TNT, Disney Channel, Freeform, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, History, Food Network, Maker Studios, TBS, Travel, IFC, Bloomberg, Lifetime
  • Get up to 65+ channels with our Extras. Disney Jr., Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV, Duck TV, HLN, Fusion, News 18, Euro News, NDTV 24/7, France 24, Russia Today, Cooking Channel, DIY, FYI, WE tv, Lifetime Movie Network, truTV, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, SEC Network, ESPN Bases Loaded, Outside TV, Univision Deportes, Deportes extra, Películas & Novelas Extra, BeIN sports, EPIX, EPIX2, EPIX3, EPIX Drive-In, TCM, Sundance, and Latino channels listed below!
  • Watch college basketball & football, NBA, Monday Night Football, futbol, Star Wars Rebels, Girl Meets World, Angie Tribeca, Shadowhunters, Portlandia & more.
  • Add the HBO Extra, featuring The Leftovers, Silicon Valley, Game of Thrones & Girls, plus classics like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, blockbuster movies, original programming & more.
Watch the Best of Live TV & On Demand instantly! 7 Days FREE. Stream 20+ channels for $20/mo. Featuring ESPN, Disney, CNN, AMC, HGTV & more. Up to 65+ channels. Live NCAA basketball, NBA, breaking news, The Walking Dead, Fixer-Upper & Big Bang Theory. Get 65+ channels w/ extras, including HBO, Disney Jr., SEC Network and beIN Sports. No annual contract. No hidden fees. Easy online cancellation. #TakeBackTV.
Sling TV works on Fire TV, Roku, Chromecsat, Android TV, ZTE, Channel Master, iOS, Android, Fire OS, Xbox, Windows, and Apple Computers.

You can sign up for the Sling TV free trail by clicking HERE.

You can sing up for a free trail of Playstation Vue TV by clicking HERE.

Please follow us on our Facebook and Twitter pages for more news, tips, and reviews.

Have a question or need some cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

18 Responses to Sling TV vs Playstation Vue

Jack Astor March 16, 2016 at 4:42 pm #

I had Sling TV for over 6 months, I have had Playstation Vue for only a couple of hours.

Playstation Vue wins hands down.

Joshua March 16, 2016 at 5:15 pm #

I agree…had Sling for about 4 months in 2015 then tried them again this year and by far Playstation Vue wins after just two days of using it. Picture is crystal clear…no dropping connection, no skipping & way more value for the money than I was getting from Sling. Also love the cloud DVR! Due to the one stream at a time rule by Sling I actually was paying for two Sling accounts so we could stream two TV’s so for me the Vue price was a wash.

Rob March 16, 2016 at 6:07 pm #

After a couple of hours on the phone with CS……you DO need to have a Playstation 3 or 4 to signup for this service. The Amazon fire unit can only be used as a supplemental unit.

If anyone has proof that the above is incorrect, please advise with exact details before I return the AZ fire unit

Thanks !

Joshua March 16, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

Same goes for me…I don’t own a PlayStation so I am just using 3 fire tv’s.

Josh March 16, 2016 at 6:34 pm #

Has anyone tried the DVR and On Demand services offered by PlayStation? If so, how do they work? Thanks!

Joshua March 16, 2016 at 8:49 pm #

Yeah I have added a few shows to the dvr…its pretty cool. You just select which shows you want to have in your cloud dvr and it will record future shows and it also will give you 2-3 past episodes that you can watch on demand. Vue is everything I wanted Sling to be but they just haven’t advanced like I thought they would. I don’t understand how Sony was able to hammer out a deal with the content providers to allow up to 5 streams per account and Sling says they aree limited by their providers to just one stream at a time?

Josh March 17, 2016 at 9:04 am #

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the info. I’m so skeptical cause this service seems too good to be true. Like, the only downside for me, is that it’s not on Roku. lol. Because of this review and your comments, I’m signing up for a free trial this weekend. Thanks!

Rob March 16, 2016 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks for the help Admin & Joshua. Just goes to show that the CSR’s are wrong so often.
    With your help, I went thru a new setup process using your information and everything worked great

Thanks again !

Joshua March 16, 2016 at 9:21 pm #

You’re welcome…I think you will enjoy Vue. The picture seems so much better than Sling and I haven’t had one issue since I signed up. I am amazed at the difference in quality.

Ed in Michigan March 17, 2016 at 6:53 am #

Any 4K content available and what is the word on it being made available to Roku?

Robert Simandl March 19, 2016 at 9:35 pm #

Was wondering why Vue didn’t have an Android app, then saw that unlike Sling, Vue is a participating provider for the channels’ own Android apps (Fox News Go, WatchESPN, CNNgo, etc). So an actual Vue app isn’t all that necessary. Cool.

Darren March 29, 2016 at 4:13 am #

I have had sling tv since the first month it hit fire tv. Back then it was horrible, try watching the walking dead, nope it would crap out on you. While that has gotten better, it still happens once in a while but what happens all the freaking time to me is constant minor skips that are only a couple seconds at a time. Causing you to miss key little moments or dialog in a show.Mind you, 200 meg down, no issues with any other service, no skipping or stoppping. Every other service out there works great. Also random stops while watching a show. I cant tell you how often on both my fire tvs, I will be watching a show and the last 30 seconds to a minute, the show just freezes and sits there. Never doing anything else until you hit the channel and click on it likr you were clicking on it for the first time and boom there it is. This is a constant problem. I call slings tech support and nope, no answer. They act like they have never seen this before yet its all over the internet with people having similar problems.

I just started the vue trial a few hours ago. Here is my 2 hour quick review so far.
    I thought slings guide interface was bad and omg it so is, But vues interface is worse but in a different way. To many clicks to get to the channel you want then clearing al the onscreen crap so you can actually watch the show, The guide needs to be more simplified. I dont need to know what other users are watching, we should be able to turn off a bunch of these menu settings. Now in reading a guide for this, its obvious it was made for the playstation controller so the regular remote on the fire tv just doesnt have enough buttons to do it properly.

The interface is just a huge cluster. If you can get over that, the rest of the service seems ok so far. Everything that was in hd was ok but seemed soft and somewhat jaggedy at times during “busy” scenes. I suspect this will not be good for watching sports on if all the channels use the same codec. More testing is needed on this from me though.

I like the dvr ability but also think on demand would have been better.
    Here is my big thing though. I went for the 70 channel package as it had a few more channels that I used to watch when I was on directv. Even the basic package is great. One of my biggest complaints with sling was the channel lineup. Elray? Polaris? Maker? FLAMA? Golovision? WTH are these channels. Thats 5 channels right off the bat that are total crap channels they are trying to pass off as their main package. You have none of that with the 55 channels of vue. Every channel is a channel you have heard of and not some half ass internet channels being passed off as real channels.

So far my first 2 hours experience has been great once you get over the horribly cluttered and somewhat laggy interface of the vue service. Hopefully they will work on that. While I still want a pure ala cart service where I can pick my exact channels that I want, vue does at least have those channels at a much more reasonable rate then cable or sat. Even at 100 channels for $45 it is a far cry better than the $100+ bill I was paying directv every month and I didnt have the sports package or the movie channels. Between the HD fees, receiver fees and so on it was just stupid at how much money they got from me for 20+years. If vue just doesnt randomly stop on me when watching shows it will certainly blow sling out of the water, By the end of this 7 day trial period, I should know for sure,

Rob March 29, 2016 at 5:17 pm #

Going along with my second week of Vue….and it is far superior to Sling. @ Darren mentioned above, the really weak point is the Program Guide interface. Wish they would get that corrected. I am using the Amazon Fire to access the service and have had no problems. Very happy with Vue so far.

Darren April 6, 2016 at 12:01 pm #

just an update. After my trial period I have decided that Vue is hands down so far above sling that it makes sling look like a startup internet channel.

Now with that said, It does have its issues. It does have a guide but it is slow to draw and react. This same issue is throughout the entire vue interface. slow to display everything.

I have had a few mini skips during a few shows but compared to sling it has been super rare. I have had shows just stop. Can sit there frozen for a few seconds or longer but it always comes back right where it left off. Never once have I had a show just stop at the end of the show like happened all the time with sling. I have not watched any sports but overall the video quality has been very good, it is a bit soft but overall acceptable. Not really any worse then slings.

I will be staying with vue and can only hope they will fix the slowness issues of the interface. Even if they dont, the service overall is just so much better than sling that there is no way I will go back to sling.