fire-tv-2

Sling TV’s DVR Arrives on More Devices

Today Sling TV announced that it has ended its DVR beta phase. Now all Sling TV subscribers will have the option to access the DVR service.

“Cloud DVR is a feature many customers requested since our launch, and as more consumers cut the cord, we know DVR is a must-have feature for many consumers,” said Ben Weinberger, chief product officer of Sling TV. “We also know some customers prefer to watch our 30,000 ondemand titles, and we don’t want to make them pay for a feature they won’t use. While other OTT providers force everyone to take features like DVR at a higher price, Sling TV continues to give our customers choice and control over their entertainment experience.”

So now anyone can get access to the Sling TV DVR though Sling’s “First Look” program. Meaning Customers who watch Sling TV on Amazon Fire TVs, Fire TV Sticks and Fire tablets – you can now get 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage for $5 per month with any Sling TV subscription.

Here is how the program will work:

“First Look,” the cloud DVR, offers eligible customers 50 hours of cloud DVR storage for $5 per month with any Sling TV subscription. The “First Look” program provides customers with the latest DVR update, including several improvements and bug fixes identified from customer feedback during the beta period. “First Look” customers will also be among the first to experience new features like setting recordings on-the-go, as well as upcoming enhancements, including the ability to record more channels, protect recordings, and group recorded series into folders.

Access to “First Look” is currently available to customers who own a Sling TV-supported Amazon device; the cloud DVR feature is available on Amazon, Android and Roku devices, and will expand to additional devices in the coming months, starting with Apple TV. Eligible customers who created their account through Amazon may add the DVR feature through the Sling TV app on their Fire TV or Fire tablet. All other eligible customers may add the DVR feature by signing in to their account on sling.com and selecting “Add Cloud DVR.” (Eligible meaning they own a Amazon device as you need to use a Amazon device right now to get the First Look option.)

Now this does mean no new Sling TV subscribers will be added to the beta program; however, if you are already in the Sling TV DVR beta you will get to keep it for free with the 100-hour DVR limit. Just like how Sling TV is still honoring the $20 Sling Blue price for the beta testers it seems it will keep honoring the 100-hour DVR deal for the beta testers.

Update: We talked with Sling TV and have confirmed that if you sign up for the First Look program the DVR will be available on all currently supported devices.

If you have feedback on the DVR you can contact Sling at [email protected]

26 Responses to Sling TV’s DVR Arrives on More Devices

1. Joe in Virginia March 9, 2017 at 10:14 am #

This is the last piece I needed to cut the cord. Just wish the DVR limit was higher!

• PaperCoyote March 9, 2017 at 10:35 am #

I wonder why they didn’t go with the 100 hour limit that is in the Beta. I honestly thought they were going with a plan that was 100 hours for everyone that orders one of the base packages and then either 50 hours for each extra package you add or for an additional $5 a month. My DVR space in the beta has never reached the 100 hour limit but I have gone well over 50 a few times.

• GersonT1000 March 9, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

Sweet! After seeing you comment, I went to the Play Store and updated the app, and I have access to my recordings on my Android phone. I also want to report that I can also manage my recordings (cancel recordings and delete episodes) and set shows to record from the guide, including options for the episode, all episodes, and new episodes.

2. filmex March 9, 2017 at 11:20 am #

A $5 surcharge plus a limit of 50 hours.

Think we’ll stick with Vue’s bottomless DVR and recognize that Sling/DISH and DirecTV/DTVN are more interested in protecting their $125/mo DVR/satellite packages than anything. So they offer a low-rent system to try and keep from cannibalizing their current expensive satellite packages.

3. Daniel Richards March 9, 2017 at 11:51 am #

what a joke Sling, 5 bucks for 50 hours, Vue included a UNLIMITED DVR from the start and it wasn’t more expensive due to the DVR it was more expensive due to the channels, Youtube’s service will have an Unlimited 9 Month DVR, to limit the amount of storage then charge near Satellite level pricing to add DVR is a Joke.

• DannyMac March 10, 2017 at 8:18 am #

The thing about these cloud DVR services, at their simplest, is that the provider records everything on every channel and when you request a recording, all you are doing is bookmarking that show as one to access later.

4. LMan March 9, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

$5 is a deal compared to the $13 Time Warner Cable is charging.

5. EJ95835 March 9, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

One of the reasons we dumped DirecTV satellite service was because we were paying for too many channels we never watched. All the shows currently airing on SlingTV that I would consider recording amounts to 1 (The Expanse on Syfy). That’s it. And it’s already offered on-demand, and we’ll be watching yesterday’s episode tonight via SlingTV on-demand or through the Syfy app.

Although SlingTV is the most expensive service we subscribe to, we mostly watch OTA, Netflix and Amazon programming. There is such a thing as too much TV. Get a life.

6. GersonT1000 March 9, 2017 at 1:33 pm #

Initially I was happy that they would only charge $5/month and was just OK with the 50hr limit. But then I read on and saw that beta testers like me would get to keep it for free (including the 100hr limit). YES!!! Not to mention I have the grandfathered Blue, multi-stream package for $20 too. That is what’s going to keep me on Sling and cancel the DirectTV Now at the end of the 3 month period. Sure, DirectTVNow has a bunch of channels, but it’s never worked well for me, the random missing episode for OnDemand shows is ridiculous, there’s still no Roku app, it’s $15 more, and last but not least, it makes me feel better knowing that I won’t be giving money to AT&T anymore.

Hopefully they will allow access to recordings on Android phones in the future so I can watch during my lunch break or on the bus when I take it.

• PaperCoyote March 9, 2017 at 2:02 pm #

Someone on reddit said their android phone app was updated and they can now access their recordings. I see in the play store from my laptop that the app was updated on 3/8 but on my phone it still says 2/1/2017 was the latest update. Oh well i guess I just need to wait for the update to hit my phone.

• GersonT1000 March 9, 2017 at 3:00 pm #

7. Richard smith March 9, 2017 at 3:17 pm #

50 hrs will fill up real quick! Of course you can BUY more. It will wind up costing more than cable box.

8. Jeff McLean March 9, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

i don’t own an amazon device for sling, only roku’s and apple tv. I am on the beta test on Roku so I hope I get to use the 100 hours free when the apple tv update comes. I am suprised they are charging $5 for only 50 hours but in some cases that is all someone needs. I have used about 70 hours on my roku and that is only due to the Christmas hallmark movies my wife likes to watch.

• PaperCoyote March 10, 2017 at 12:07 am #

I got an email earlier from Sling informing me that as a beta tester I get to keep the 100 hour DVR for free. Right now it works on my Roku, Android TV and Android phone as well as my Fire TV. It should work on the Apple TV as well once it becomes available.

9. Anthony L Peña March 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm #

Never had the opportunity to be a beta tester. Tried signing up repeatedly. Bye bye sling tv…

10. TheAntiHero March 9, 2017 at 9:48 pm #

It would be a nice enticement if the 50 hour cloud DVR was included as a part of the Blue + Orange package at no extra charge

11. Lynnneez March 9, 2017 at 11:49 pm #

Ugh the dvr feature seems to be working fine, but the app kicks me out every few minutes. Completely unwatchable on Fire TV.

12. Jason Becker March 10, 2017 at 9:55 am #

Wtf they are charging for the dvr when Vues is free?

13. MrJohnDoe March 10, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

“While other OTT providers force everyone to take features like DVR at a higher price, Sling TV continues to give our customers choice and control over their entertainment experience.” – Then they slap on the $5 charge for DVR service, f’ing fools with a flat out lie.

14. REP March 10, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

$5 dollar for DVR lol and i thought it’s supposed to be free. This will make people jump to another provider.

15. kojak March 10, 2017 at 11:00 pm #

I have 2 Amazon Fire TV sticks and have not been able to add cloud dvr to either of them. Tried to through the app, the website, and calling to no avail. The reps are offshore and when they don’t know the answer they just make up something to get you off the phone. The rep said once my firestick has been on my account for 24 hours I will see the option to add it. That’s funny because I have had sling on them for months already. I checked tonight still no option to add it. Talk about poor customer service. Here I want to spend more money with them and no one can help me. Pathetic. Definitely changing once YouTube TV is out.

• Aaron Jakobsons March 11, 2017 at 9:47 am #

I created a new account through a fire tablet,and was able to add the DVR immediately that way. Progress,right? Nope. The DVR features did not show up despite it being included in my services. They said wait 24 hours. Some people have gotten it right away. Sounds like this service should have stayed in beta.

• kojak March 12, 2017 at 9:47 am #

I fixed the problem. I canceled Sling last night. Sick of hearing their excuses. I’ll pay $9 more per month for psvue it has dvr and I can pause most channels plus they have all my local TV channels. I made sure to post what I did on the sling Facebook page too.