Spectrum Goes After Cord Cutters With New Fees

Depressed mature man holding paper and looking at it while sitting on the couch at homeIt seems Charter’s Spectrum Internet service has started to target cord cutters. So how is it targeting cord cutters?

According to several of our readers, Charter’s Spectrum Internet subscribers will be charged an extra $5 fee if they do not bundle with TV or home phone. It seems to be doing this in an effort to offset the growing trend of Internet-only subscribers. Yet $5 is still small compared to the fees you get with TV from Spectrum.

There is good news as always we strongly suggest you shop around for Internet service. There are many great Internet service providers that not only won’t impose a data cap, but they also won’t charge a $5 fee for not bundling.

The one service I personally recommend is Toast.net. If you live in an AT&T area I highly recommend checking them out for a data cap free experience. The best part is it is located right here in the United States and offers US-based customer service.

There is even more hope coming soon with the new 5G wireless Internet services. 5G is the next generation of wireless Internet. Early testing is showing it can give the same performance of fiber Internet with 1 Gbps performance.

This will allow towns to be set up in months not years for gigabyte Internet. This new competition will likely force crazy fees such as $5 for not bundling to go away.

We reached out to Charter Communications for comment by phone and will update this story if we hear back from them.

29 Responses to Spectrum Goes After Cord Cutters With New Fees

1. Richard smith April 2, 2017 at 7:27 am #

Don’t know if it is a non bundle price, but I just received a $5 price increase.

2. Hugo Hackenbush April 2, 2017 at 8:10 am #

My TWC Spectrum internet only just went up $10.

I have no other option, we live in a small rural town. I get 60 Mbps with TWC Spectrum, and my only other internet options are Frontier DSL that requires to pay for a Land Line and is only 15 Mbps and a local company that cost the same as TWC Spectrum and only offers 10 Mbps.

We stream everything and also are heavy online gamers. 5G can not get here soon enough, TWC Spectrum monopoly has to be broken.

• Duder12 April 2, 2017 at 10:59 am #

What’s the price now then? Mine is 60 plus tax.

• Joellyn Carpenter January 29, 2018 at 8:24 am #

Spectrum with 100 Mbps is 64.99 in Tampa, FL. They will charge you an extra 5 for WIFI with there modem, making it 69.99, but if you have your own home router you can get that fee dropped. Only other choice is 50 Mbps vDSL for more money. So no real choice. I am very interested in 5G when it gets here.

3. Josh Vanatta April 2, 2017 at 8:41 am #

My bill went up $20. I called to tell them to cancel it (bluffing) and the retention department gave me the new customer rate, $5 less than what I was paying before the increase.

4. holycraptheyletyouhavelongname April 2, 2017 at 9:54 am #

If you’re using Spectrum in NYC and you want to switch, earthlink uses Spectrum lines and offers 100mbps for 39.99

• DasIt! April 2, 2017 at 11:37 am #

Thanks so much for providing this!
      The prices already went up by $5 and if they’re punishing customers with another $5 just because we don’t want TV service it’s f*cked up! I thought EarthLink was capted ar 20mbps so it was always a downside! I’d rather pay $39 for a year and then $64.99 and not give my money directly to them (I assume EarthLink gives them a dividend somehow).

• holycraptheyletyouhavelongname April 2, 2017 at 11:52 am #

I just double checked after getting the notification of your reply, I need to correct myself. Apparently earthlink is 44.99 a month now (assuming it’s due to the spectrum 5 dollar charge). Personally I’ve noticed no difference whatsoever between earthlink and spectrum (formerly TWC), I primarily use earthlink for 1 to 2 months at a time whenever promotional pricing is about to end, I switch, then a month or so later I sign up for new promotional pricing. I have my own modem and router, so the switch usually takes about half an hour on the phone with no installers or anything like that. It’s crazy convenient.

• tommyr April 8, 2017 at 5:55 pm #

” Offer not available to current Charter Internet customers”
          F**K!

5. DasIt! April 2, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Is it a $5 fee on top of the $5 increase that happened 1-2 month(s) ago?

6. David Gabel April 2, 2017 at 1:51 pm #

We need to get companies that pull crap like this to realize we won’t tolerate such behavior.

• Cenarl April 2, 2017 at 3:40 pm #

Unfortunately they know the majority of people can only switch to one other provider (if lucky), which typically also does the same crap and if its DSL, probably even worse speeds for the same money.

7. Bonedatt April 2, 2017 at 3:02 pm #

Does this apply to all the markets they serve? I haven’t seen this additional $5 plus we usually don’t pay taxes for the internet here in SC. Another thing I’ve noticed is that since TWC fully became Spectrum, I was able to get an Internet only package of 100Mbps for $64.99 compared to the previous TWC Internet package of only 30Mbps for $54.99. I use my own modem and router BTW.

8. Eric Hollingsworth April 2, 2017 at 5:30 pm #

This is nothing new Cox charges me $10 more a month for just having internet.

9. June L. Hills April 2, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

I cant even get my email to work. They cant either, waiting for a call back. 2 days now. Oh and I want to bundle, not

10. Darrell Patterson April 2, 2017 at 6:31 pm #

I’m a Charter customer with internet only, I cut the cord over 10 years ago. Sadly, in my town, the only alternative is CenturyLink with a Max speed of 1.5 MB that costs almost as much as my 60 MB Charter. I think the truth behind the fee increase was to pay that ridiculous $96 million bonus they paid their CEO. It’s beyond me what he did to deserve that bonus. True, I get consistent 63MB speed with them, but they only have 1 TV package and with internet it cost $145/month!!!!!!!! I’ll gladly pay the $5 plus another $19 for Netflix and Amazon, coupled with a Tivo Roamio OTA with free lifetime service, I’m set!

11. FREETELEVISION April 2, 2017 at 7:29 pm #

Century Link 25 MB $44.95 a month. It’s all I need. I had only one issue in the last 13 years was last December. Server in Orlando was bad. Fixed it and 100% reliable 24/7. 100 MB is like owning a Ferrari and living in the woods on a dirt road. LOL!

12. AS48 April 2, 2017 at 8:21 pm #

I *wish* I could go with a different option than Spectrum. I despise Charter, and have for years. I used a local ISP that had great rates on DSL and that worked for me – until Frontier’s ancient landlines started getting overloaded with the heavy DSL load in our area, and Frontier refused to update them. My signal was cutting out every 3-5 minutes for 2 minutes at a time. Not good for someone running a business from their home – or anywhere else, for that matter.
    Frontier’s response to my ISP’s request that they update was, “It’s not cost-effective for us to do that. We’re just waiting for everyone to get tired of the problems and go with wireless instead. We’re not going to upgrade.” Nice. My local ISP actually told me they hated to lose me as a customer, because I’d been with them for over 5 years, but they had no better solution for me than to go with another provider until they could get away from Frontier’s lines.

The local ISP is slowly spreading their wireless coverage across the area – it’s not here yet, but as soon as it is, I’m going back to them. The only other option in this area is with another company that has higher rates per month and charges over $250 for installation – that’s not happening.

13. Carl Collie April 2, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

I have not had any notification from Spectrum of an increase. I am in the Charlotte area and they have just converted over from TWC. I pay $34.99 per month for their Extreme Internet, I had the triple bundle but dropped the TV and phone and they wanted to charge me $54.99 for internet so I cancelled it all and signed up as new customer.

14. George Machen April 3, 2017 at 6:46 am #

Anyone know whether the $14.99/month, 3 Mbps “ELP Internet” (Everyday Low Price) plan will get the $5 increase?

• Red Oscar July 31, 2017 at 3:48 pm #

I just received my latest ELP Internet bill which covers July 23 thru August 22, 2017. Still $14.99 for that time period, but there was a note stating the “next” billing period will be at a rate of $19.99/month. So for me, the increase will start in late August 2017.

15. Thomas LaFayette April 3, 2017 at 7:09 am #

Just noticed my internet went up $10 as well. That’s still significantly cheaper than the various fees they were charging me each month. That said I will be looking for alternative services.

16. Don K April 3, 2017 at 7:41 am #

It looks like I left TWC/Spectrum just in time. Until a month ago, I had no choice but TWC/Spectrum for broadband. WOW is installing new lines in my city and my street was the first to go live. For the first year I get 110/10 for $34.99. Then it goes up to $55.99, which is still cheaper than I was paying TWC/Specrum for 50/5 speed, and that’s before this additional $5 fee. I realize that 110Mbps down is overkill, but I like the faster upload speed that comes with it because I do a lot of cloud computing.

17. mr Dave April 3, 2017 at 10:21 am #

How many ways can Spectrum spell SCREW THE CUSTOMER!

I can’t wait till I can drop them as an ISP!!!!

18. MikeF April 3, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

In California, Sonic provides far better customer service than ‘AT&T-we-dont-want-to-be-a-landline-carrier’. About $56 for Fusion (8mbps ADSL2 + landline phone over single pair), double the internet speed for Fusion X2 (two pair). Their goal is to provide FTTN at no extra charge when they have enough customers in the neighborhood.
    Even though the higher Spectrum Internet speeds are tempting, I don’t need them and am well aware of their lock-in obsession and creative fees. Support competition where possible!

19. Bruce Wayne April 5, 2017 at 2:41 am #

Ridiculous.

20. HalfLifeCrysis April 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm #

Most people who have Spectrum have no other choice or they wouldn’t have Spectrum. That’s their target market.

21. edfranco1 June 10, 2017 at 10:46 pm #

No one will really leave and if you do, you’ll be back, in the next year or so especially with everything requiring am interned connection. So much for your big screen smart 4k tv. lol

22. The Shadow September 24, 2017 at 8:35 pm #

Charter / Spectrum is a “gotcha” company. They feed of of people who lack an understanding of their options. Charter may well be one of the most greedy in their field.