Cheerful family having popcorn while watching television at home
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Spectrum is Now Offering an A La Carte TV Streaming Package

Cheerful family having popcorn while watching television at homeWell, it looks like we are taking a big step closer to A La Carte TV! Recently Spectrum TV’s streaming has quietly started to allow customers to sign up for a small core package of channels and you can add 10 channels you pick to the service.

Spectrum seems to be very quietly promoting the service mostly by phone to internet only customers right now. The package offers your locals including PBS and 25 music channels. From there you can pick 10 additional channels from a long list of channels including AMC, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, ESPN, FOX News, Hallmark Channel, NFL Network, The Weather Channel, and more.

You can even add premium networks like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, and more for an extra fee.

There is no box fee as you can stream your content through their Roku channel. If you want a DVR though you will have to pay to rent a DVR box.

We found very little about the service online. As best we can tell it first popped up in the forums of SatelliteGuys.us in a post from a reader. Though a lot seems to have changed since that forum post was made as it is now cheaper and available as a streaming-only option. We did find the official website for Spectrum TV Choice thanks to a tip from a reader.

According to our reader, the service costs $21.99 for the first 24 months. (no contract cancel anytime.) You will need Spectrums internet service to get the a la carte TV package.

This as far as we can tell is as close as we have ever come to a true a la carte TV package.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

52 Responses to Spectrum is Now Offering an A La Carte TV Streaming Package

Jared Byron February 10, 2018 at 10:39 am #

ima jump on this

tommyr February 10, 2018 at 10:43 am #

Sorry Spectrum, you’re not getting me back. You lost.

demarcmj February 10, 2018 at 10:48 am #

Probably still has hidden fees galore. Extra charge for DVR, extra charge per TV, equipment rental fees, etc.

Kathleen February 10, 2018 at 12:20 pm #

The Spectrum page this article references says you do not NEED a cable box for this service, but if you want a DVR you can pay for one. —– Seems fair to me.

“Optional TV Equipment and Services
      A set top box is not needed to stream channels when you order Spectrum TV Choice. However, if you would like to add DVR service a box is required. Please make your selection below.

Would you like to add DVR service?”

Jared Byron February 10, 2018 at 4:55 pm #

hmm

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 5:42 pm #

Dvr is $11 a month. I am probably going to pick up a Hdhomerun prime for $130 Rent a cable card for $2 and pay $35 year for dvr service.

Cooper McChester February 10, 2018 at 10:49 am #

That is a big s tep in the right direcetion.

Jared Byron February 10, 2018 at 10:51 am #

vnazario February 10, 2018 at 10:53 am #

If you require to have their internet package, then that means it is not open for everybody so until they make themselves available outside their service market, what is the point. The only kudos is them embracing the A La Carte choice options that others aren’t doing yet but will eventually be forced to do so as well.

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 11:09 am #

Chose my channels gave my address, but no place to sign up

Wambie February 10, 2018 at 12:00 pm #

Probably want you to call so they can try to upcharge you into cable.

Kathleen February 10, 2018 at 12:34 pm #

I believe you have to also enter your email address. There is a place for that.

Robert Simandl February 10, 2018 at 11:16 am #

I’ll be willing to bet that 7 or 8 dollar “broadcast channel fee” applies.

Iphart February 10, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

Yep this is probably $40/month disguised as $22/month.
      Spectrum borderline as a being a fraudulent company.

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 5:05 pm #

Wrong $3 broadcast fee $28.31 total

Camille M February 10, 2018 at 11:26 am #

The link you gave redirects to Spectrum Business.

From what I can make out this is only offered to customers cancelling their service.

Brian @chatlegion.com February 10, 2018 at 11:26 am #

Locals and 10 channels for $22? Which part of this was a step in the right direction? So you have to pay $70 for internet, then $22 for 14 channels, plus tax. I really don’t think they get it. They can slice and dice it anyway they want, but the smart ones know how to add. Either way you look at it, the cable company’s need to hit a certain number from each customer. They are very creative at trying to work a few more bucks out of us.

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:32 pm #

Internet is $65 actually and you’re going to pay that anyway so it doesn’t count. You’re free to not sign up for this.

Michael Allbritton February 10, 2018 at 11:32 am #

Once again Spectrum isn’t understanding their own market. $22 for 15 channels plus a bunch of music channels I’ll never listen to? No thanks. I might as well pay a little bit more money and get a full-featured package from one of the real OTT players in the market.

Kathleen February 10, 2018 at 12:25 pm #

You clearly have not read the article or looked at the site. You get some basics and then you PICK TEN YOU LIKE on top of that. —- Ten is about how many I watch mostly anyway. —- THIS is what I am looking for.

“The package offers your locals including PBS and 25 music channels. From there you can pick 10 additional channels from a long list of channels including AMC, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, ESPN, FOX News, Hallmark Channel, NFL Network, The Weather Channel, and more.”

Wambie February 10, 2018 at 12:45 pm #

NFLN was not a choice for me when I put in my info.

Michael Allbritton February 10, 2018 at 12:52 pm #

I did read the article. It says “The package offers your locals including PBS and 25 music channels. From there you can pick 10 additional channels from a long list…” Perhaps Spectrum is offering more OTA locals than is explicitly stated in Luke’s article, but according to the image it is 5, plus 10 additional channels of my choice is 15. To me that is not a good deal.

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:31 pm #

Your not going to replace cable for $22 get over it. All I hear form al a carte fanboys is “why can’t we have al a carte I only watch 5 or 6 channels” Well you’re getting locals plus 10 more. That’s more than 5 or 6.

Dean G February 10, 2018 at 5:25 pm #

Ok, so rather than take 5 minutes to go to the site and read you’d rather post complaining Then proceed to argue with someone who actually did read it. WOW, clearly thinking you are entitled to be spoon fed through life. Go to the site and read

Wambie February 10, 2018 at 11:57 am #

If your a sports fan you need not apply…only ESPN and ESPN 2 available.

Malignar February 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm #

Yeah, I gotta have fox regional sports and btn. This is certainly interesting though. Maybe it will become popular and force the hand of some more reputable companies.

TomB February 10, 2018 at 12:11 pm #

If you sign up for Internet only, the option to add Spectrum TV Choice appears.

Rangerman2002 February 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm #

Too little, too late. I gave them every opportunity to retain me as a customer and they refused to do anything. I’m happy with all the money that I save every month.

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:28 pm #

want a cookie?

Dean G February 10, 2018 at 12:39 pm #

There doesn’t seem to be an option to add more than 10 channels. What if I want a few more? I like how they’re giving you all your local broadcast channels including the sub channels.

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:28 pm #

people are supposedly cutting the cord because they don’t like paying for channels they don’t watch. if your watching more than 10 plus locals perhaps stick with cable. or go with the the OTT services.

Bill Eastman February 10, 2018 at 5:16 pm #

They are not giving all the sub channels, such as QUEST, METV, ANTENNATV

Dean G February 10, 2018 at 5:19 pm #

Yes it did have the sub channels listed they were after the music channels.

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 5:23 pm #

I’m getting them in Orlando

Jared Byron February 10, 2018 at 12:43 pm #

id get all channels with sports and wrestling

jmgnyc February 10, 2018 at 1:39 pm #

I would consider it but only with a DVR (which I know will cost more). None of the streaming service DVRs are any good really. Either they won’t record the channel I want, won’t keep it long enough, or there’s not enough space. I want a DVR basically for ESPN, CNN and HGTV.

Kirby Baker February 10, 2018 at 1:43 pm #

The channels that come bundled (prior to the choose 10) for my area are: 2 PBS, 2 NBC, 2 CBS, ABC, FOX, CSPAN, CSPAN2, CSPAN3, 6 various shopping channels, and 17 more OTA sub channels.

Barbara Thorpe February 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

What will the price be after the 2 year promo price?

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:26 pm #

Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago on DSLreports. it sounds like the old streaming package but it does mention a $21.99 price maybe they were confused about the new offering.

On January 30th, the Spectrum TV Stream package can be offered to customers by any Billing, Internet Voice Repair, Service Chat or TV Repair Representative. In addition, there will be changes to the pricing/promotional rates and channels offered in the package.

Spectrum TV Stream Changes

The Standard rate will change from $19.95 to $34.99
      Customers may be eligible for promotion of $21.99 for 2 years
      On year 3, pricing is $26.99
      On year 4, pricing is $34.99

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

Here is a better link

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:20 pm #

Going to that link gets me

Warning
      Charter Spectrum services are not yet available in your area. Order now and you will be automatically upgraded to the Charter Spectrum suite of services at no additional cost once available.

Which of course is not true since I have Charter services currently and for the last 18 years. Also going to Spectum.com doesn’t show this package anywhere. the link in the article does however work just fine.

Stevens February 10, 2018 at 3:33 pm #

Just ended a chat with Charter. I’m a long term TW internet customer. For this to have worked for me, I’d have needed to upgrade to Charter internet at double the cost I’ve been paying. Sorry. As for TV Choice, it’s $21.99 plus a local surcharge of $3 before tax. If it had been just an additional $25 I might have considered it. Not when my costs double. I passed. Maybe I’m just cheap?

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:37 pm #

That means you’re on a promo. Sorry promos end eventually. So will yours. Internet is not twice as much on this plan. Their base 100( soon to be 200 ) Mbps internet is $55 if bundled with cable or $65 without. By the way the broadcast fee on cable is $8.50 on this service it’s $3.

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:35 pm #

WOW people STILL complain. I have come to the conclusion that people complain to just complain or they just expect everything for free. You 100% free to not have this service or any service you find to be unacceptable. But to many this will save them A LOT of money. if it’s not for you. That’s ok everyone is different but then go elsewhere and stop being negative nacy’s

Me February 10, 2018 at 3:42 pm #

Just put in my address and this by far gives the most locals. I live between 2 markets for ABC and NBC so we get 2 NBCs and 2 ABCs on cable and so does this package. No other OTT service offers this AND also has PBS. Also has the local sub-channels. Definitely checking this out

John February 10, 2018 at 4:25 pm #

When I click on Official Website link it just takes me to their business page.

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

You need to call

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 5:03 pm #

Here are the Details. $28.31 w tax and broadcast fee. You have app access. Don’t add Fx movies or Espn2. You can watch them on the App and add another channel. Dvr is $11 but you need cable installation. price $26.99 year 3

Bill Eastman February 10, 2018 at 5:12 pm #

They are going after DTVN. Pick 10 channels and have Hallmark and Hallmarj movies and Mysteries, which DTVN inly has on cheapest package

me February 10, 2018 at 5:20 pm #

hey mods why do you keep deleting my posts which are legit? You know I can use VPN and have infinite disqus profiles so I’m not sure what the point is.

Fred Koot February 10, 2018 at 5:45 pm #

You can also get Hbo Showtime Starz The Movie Channel and Encore for $15 a month

me February 10, 2018 at 5:50 pm #

Or you can get then individually for $7.50.