Watching TV, Watching, Living Room, Domestic Life, Smiling

Study: Most Cable TV Subscribers Also Subscribe to a Streaming Service

Watching TV, Watching, Living Room, Domestic Life, SmilingLast week TiVo delivered one more death knell to the argument that cable TV is cheaper than cord cutting. TiVo released a study that talked to 2,500 Americans about their TV habits.

One of the questions TiVo asked was are you a subscriber to a traditional pay-TV service like cable TV or satellite TV. According to the report, about 90% of the study group said they subscribe to a traditional pay-TV service. More interesting was the fact that of the study participants who subscribe to a traditional pay-TV service 60% of them said they also subscribed to a streaming service such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.

This was similar to my family’s experience. One of the reasons we made the jump to cord cutting was we already paid for Netflix and had Amazon Prime for the shipping but the video was also a great bonus. Today that would add about $18.25 a month to our cable TV bill.

We have long asked cord cutters who thought about going back to cable TV for one of their crazy sounding promotional offers if they would cancel all of their streaming services. So far overwhelmingly we have found that the answer is “no.” Most cord cutters would still need one or two streaming services if they went back to cable TV.

So next time you hear about how great and inexpensive cable TV is, remember that most of their subscribers still need a streaming service to get the content they want.

14 Responses to Study: Most Cable TV Subscribers Also Subscribe to a Streaming Service

1. Fred Koot January 17, 2018 at 8:55 am #

90% subscribe to cable/satellite doesn’t sound like a death kneel to me

• Wambie January 17, 2018 at 9:17 am #

I think they were talking about the theory some have that cutting the cord costs as much as cable/satellite. Death kneel to to the argument as apposed to the industry.

• Barbara R January 17, 2018 at 9:41 am #

That wasn’t necessarily a random sample. According to studies I’ve read, more than 10% of Americans have cut the cord, and many other never subscribed to cable in the first place. There’s a great book called “How to Lie With Statistics.”

• Rocksleeper January 17, 2018 at 2:04 pm #

death knell to the argument that cable TV is cheaper than cord cutting.

So like Wambie said below…he was talking about the argument. Not the actual cable industry.

• beentheredonethat2 January 17, 2018 at 4:24 pm #

Cable will probably be around for decades yet. Lot of older people ( like my Mom ) are set in there ways and can hardly work the cable remote as it is. Others are just used to cable and afraid of what they may miss. Others are living hand to mouth but still insist on the full cable package including a ” home phone” that they could not live without. Others just have money to burn.

• Marc H January 17, 2018 at 4:48 pm #

Or others are like me, monitoring the situation and once the adequate products are there will make the jump.

2. Wambie January 17, 2018 at 9:10 am #

I can’t believe I used to pay for both. Never going back to cable. There are things I miss but not for the price.

• beentheredonethat2 January 17, 2018 at 4:16 pm #

The built in tv guide was nice to have with cable but saving $100 a month is better!

3. Tarheel Brand January 17, 2018 at 9:21 am #

I have Spectrum WiFi with Netflix,Hulu and Apple Music here! I get my sports updates from Twitter and going to sporting events!

4. Tư Lô January 17, 2018 at 10:41 am #

There are two types of streaming service, replacement and add-on. The streaming service for cable replacement can be Directv Now, PS Vue, … while Netflix, Amazon are the add-on to the cable.

I don’t think I should get Directv Now or PS Vue if I am having a cable service.

5. Michael Smith January 17, 2018 at 11:34 am #

Cut the cord over a year ago and don’t miss the big cable bill. Can’t wait for the free streaming 2018 NFL season which means I can be more selective in what I pay for streaming content. Now if we can get 5G wireless internet and my electric cooperative’s FIOS in Northern Michigan, the Telco (which is the only ISP right now) is going to be left in the dust.

6. TexMarque January 17, 2018 at 11:42 am #

Netflix became an add-on years ago because, often times there is nothing worth watching on live TV no matter how many channels one has available. It took years for the cable companies to realize that fact.

7. BigO January 17, 2018 at 2:18 pm #

We cut the cord almost 4 years ago, and we were in a similar situation. We already subscribed to Netflix & Amazon for years, and then added Hulu a few months before dropping cable, basically as an extra DVR. I cannot imagine every going back to cable or a Live OTT service.

8. stumpy579 January 17, 2018 at 3:20 pm #

I had Netflix since it was just DVD mail service. I have had Amazon Prime long before they had Prime video. I had them along with my cable tv subscription which cost $120. I still have them now with my Vue subscription which costs $45. I’m $75 month better off. I could add Philo or Hulu on demand and still be way ahead of the game.