In January, Tablo announced that in March they will be starting an open beta for an automatic commercial-skipping feature. This new feature makes it possible for any subscription-enabled Tablo OTA DVR to play most recordings without any commercials. This new feature will use machine learning to skip past commercials on your recordings.
Now that feature is being rolled out to all Tablo DVR subscribers with the rollout of the 2.2.26 update. According to Tablo, the commercial skipping feature will work on Roku, Fire TV with the PREVIEW app, Android TV with the PREVIEW app, and the Apple TV.
You can see an early look we got at CES in January of the new Tablo Commercial Skipping Feature here:
In order to be eligible for commercial skip processing, your Tablo DVR’s recordings must:
- NOT be a Cloud DVR recording
Only recordings made on a Tablo’s internal or hard drive storage are currently supported.
- NOT be a manual recording
Manual recordings lack ‘program type’ details and therefore are ineligible
- Be completed successfully
In-progress, failed, and incomplete recordings are ineligible.
- Be created AFTER commercial skip has been enabled in your Tablo’s settings screen
- Have completed Fast-Forward Preview processing successfully
However, certain networks, program types, and shows are always ineligible for commercial skip processing at this time including:
- [NETWORK] PBS
- [NETWORK] TVO
- [PROGRAM TYPE] News
- [PROGRAM TYPE] Manual Recording
- [SHOW] American Dad
- [SHOW] South Park
- [SHOW] Family Guy
- [SHOW] The Cleveland Show
- [SHOW] 20/20
- [SHOW] 60 minutes
- [SHOW] Judge Judy
Here are the messages your Tablo DVR will show was your recordings are being processed.
- SUCCESS – Commercial skip is ready.
- FILTERED – Program ineligible for Commercial Skip.
- NETWORK – Commercial Skip upload failed.
- UNSUITABLE – Recording rejected from Commercial Skip.
- RECEPTION – Commercial Skip failed due to poor reception.
- OTHER FAILURE – Commercial Skip detection failed.
Did you know we now have a FREE app for iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire? Click HERE to download our app.