Daily Show

Yesterday Viacom Inc the parent company behind channels like MTV and Comedy Central announced plans to launch an ad supported streaming service later on in 2018.

This new service from Viacom will allow Americans to subscribe directly to a package of Viacom owned channels including TV Land, VH1, Logo TV, MTV, Comedy Central, BET Networks, Nickelodeon networks, and more.

“It’s going to be significant, and it’s going to also be differentiated from what’s in the marketplace today,” said Viacom Chief Financial Officer Wade Davis, adding that it was only possible because “we kind of built and husbanded [our] library to be able to use for our own strategic purposes.”

Details are still thin and no pricing was announced but Viacom said they plan to launch the service before the start of fall TV season in September. Well, this may not be a la carte TV as many want this is one more step in that direction.

Viacom has been hit extra hard by cord cutting recently. Many have pointed to the lack of news or sports programs as one of the main reason Viacom is struggling in the day and age of on-demand content.

This is a major change for Viacom as just over a year ago Viacom pulled their content from services like PlayStation Vue and Hulu to focus on traditional pay TV option. Now it looks like they plan to double down on cord cutting with their own live TV streaming services.

35 Responses to Viacom is Launching a Ad Supported Streaming Service for Comedy Central, MTV, & More

1. MJ February 9, 2018 at 9:33 am #

Good luck with that. Stop playing hardball and get your channels on all major streaming outlets.
    This will also fail.

2. Wambie February 9, 2018 at 9:35 am #

“over a year ago Viacom pulled their content from services like PlayStation Vue and Hulu “….. interesting way to put that because that’s not how I remember it being reported. I was under the impression PSV dropped Viacom.

3. Fred Koot February 9, 2018 at 9:38 am #

Whatever they charge, it will be too much

4. Nathan John Ganiere February 9, 2018 at 9:39 am #

hopefully it’s about $5 a month so I can supplement it with YouTube TV, any other price it’s too much for that lineup not interested………

• Fg February 9, 2018 at 10:02 am #

Agreed. Maybe this gets combined with CBS AllAccess after the merger.

• David Batten February 9, 2018 at 11:07 am #

I disagree. If its going to be “Ad Supported”, then it should be free. $5 monthly is way too much!
      OTA has been providing free or “Ad Supported” content since TV’s showed up in private homes. So, we all know that model works and makes a profit.

• Rocksleeper February 9, 2018 at 1:14 pm #

But people pay money for ad supported content still.

Hulu= $8/month + Ads

• Nathan John Ganiere February 9, 2018 at 2:23 pm #

LOL it said LIVE TV when I posted earlier, come back and it says ad supported, go figure…….

5. Michael Smith February 9, 2018 at 9:41 am #

Discovery Network, Disney, ESPN and now Viacom Network are announcing their own streaming services which is great. I just hope that it wont be like TVE where you HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO A PAY SERVICE to authenticate their app on your streaming device. I only care about the Discovery Network and would like to see A&E Network do the same. I can save money and eliminate a pay service.

6. Malignar February 9, 2018 at 9:41 am #

Any step towards a la carte it a good move overall, for all of us. I welcome this idea. I’m a bit surprised they are doing this with Philo around.

7. Lynnneez February 9, 2018 at 10:12 am #

They literally have zero channels I have watched since the 90s so whether they don’t allow their channels to be part of other streaming services or create their own service, it doesn’t really matter to me.

However , it’s a mistake. I would rather get my content from as few sources as possible. It’s not effective to have to check multiple on demand content sources or keep track of content across multiple apps. I want one source and one guide and would rather pay $45-65 than have 6 services at $11 a piece. Done that. Been there. It’s a waste of my money as it’s such a pain to watch. Im lucky if i manage to check HBO Now or Netflix regularly and those are far more relevant sources of content than Viacom.

• Joe in Virginia February 9, 2018 at 1:59 pm #

I agree. I can’t tell you the last time I sat down and watched anything produced by the Viacom channels (with the exception of South Park, which is on Hulu). I stopped watching the Daily Show when John Steward left. There just isn’t much there to justify any standalone product at all.

8. jmgnyc February 9, 2018 at 10:49 am #

They lost me at “ad supported”. Good luck to them with that.

• Omen_20 February 9, 2018 at 11:44 am #

For me it’s gotta be ad supported and free, or I won’t even bother.

• SS February 9, 2018 at 11:48 am #

It’s ad-supported but it’s not free. Don’t expect Viacom to give people anything for free. They’re the greediest network I know. It will probably be like Hulu where you still get ads in addition to paying.

• malangrad February 9, 2018 at 12:04 pm #

Except for Disney, of course, which makes the Mafia look like a charity.

• Rocksleeper February 9, 2018 at 1:12 pm #

Disney plays a lot nicer with streaming services. I can find lots of Disney content on Netflix, and Disney is included in the majority of paid TV streaming services.

Viacom…not so much. Don’t see hardly anything on Netflix from them, and they only have channels with the paid streaming services that already offer paid cable (Dish (Sling) And DirecTV (DTVN)). Viacom shows are much harder to come by for cord cutters than Disney ones.

• SS February 9, 2018 at 5:31 pm #

Agreed, 100%.

• aerix88 February 10, 2018 at 1:12 pm #

“I can find lots of Disney content on Netflix” for now at least. The Disney deal with Netflix is only through next year, isn’t it? And Disney is planning on launching their own subscription service, so I doubt you’ll find much (if any?) Disney content outside of their own control when that happens.

• Rocksleeper February 10, 2018 at 2:17 pm #

They will also own majority in Hulu and Fox.. So they will still have several options to see content. Along with being on the vast majority of paid TV streaming services. Much easier to find than Viacom.

• SS February 9, 2018 at 5:29 pm #

Disney is the nicest one out there. Disney isn’t greedy. They’re just smart. They know how to make products that appeal to the customers and promote themselves.

They don’t even air regular commercials on some of their channels like Disney Channel and Disney Junior. They mostly just promote Disney stuff. And when watching content from their apps, there’s usually no commercial breaks; and they give kids so many episodes of their shows.

9. The Red Ranger February 9, 2018 at 10:50 am #

This is great news for Sony actually, since a lot of potential Vue subscribers look elsewhere only because Viacom is missing. Doesn’t beat having these channels in their lineup, but it’s far above not having them at all.

10. utahanglo February 9, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

I think we’re all for alacarte TV. My concern is as the niche channels get narrowed down more and more, you’re going to need more of them to get the channels and programming you want. They add up and depending on how many you want you could end up paying more that the new $69 Dish promotion with DVR included.
    Don’t get me wrong, I am the biggest advocate for cordcutting. It’s just surprising how all the different streaming channels add up.

11. Dean G February 9, 2018 at 2:37 pm #

Lack of news and sports has nothing whatsoever to do with why Viacom struggles. Not only is that not a main reason, it isn’t any reason. They’ve been hit hard of their own making, they thought their channels were worth much more than they are. People tire of 24 hours of Reba and Catfish.

12. charles perry February 9, 2018 at 2:42 pm #

You can still find Viacom content on DTVN and it is included in Philo. so such a service would be redundant unless it were free! The only way a pay service would work is if the CBS-Viacom remerger goes through, they would piggyback on CBS All Access!

• Mike Thaler February 10, 2018 at 8:09 am #

Why pay CBS $6/mo for ad supported programming you can get for free? I am an old Trekkie – but won’t pay them $6/mo. just to watch 1 program Binge watched first half of season during free promo week. Will do same when Olympics are over for remaining episodes.
      Not going to pay to watch the Daily Show – only program that Viacom has we watch.

13. BigO February 9, 2018 at 3:07 pm #

I am not really excited personally by this, but my wife might be depending upon how it is executed / what content they make available. I am a big fan of ad-supported streaming content, and this might be a great way for Viacom to distribute its content without worrying about “competing” with other streaming services which charge a monthly fee. If they operate it similar in nature to how the other streaming services acquire 3rd party content (typically 9-12 months after it originally airs), then I think it will work.

14. Optic February 9, 2018 at 3:49 pm #

Did you quote someone else’s article without attribution or link, or did you join the call and are quoting directly? It would be nice if that were clarified.

15. BloodLust February 9, 2018 at 9:38 pm #

And someone would pay you to watch these crappy channels why?

16. craig2web February 10, 2018 at 6:05 pm #

Terrific news. If I can get content from TV Land, Comedy Central and BET for a low monthly price, this would be fantastic. Hopefully others will follow suit like cable news.