Roku Ultra 2017

YouTube TV Adds Casting Support For Roku Players

When YouTube TV first launched it only worked on Android, iOS, and Chromecast via casting. Later they added support for casting to Apple TV, and released an app on Android TV. Now YouTube TV has added support for Roku players and TVs.

UPDATE: A few hours ago Google updated YouTube to remove support for casting to Roku Players. Details can be found HERE.

Recently (not exactly sure when) YouTube TV has added support for casting to Roku players and Roku TVs. Now with just the standard YouTube Roku Channel installed you can now cast YouTube TV from your phone or tablet to your Roku player. This opens up YouTube TV to Roku owners around the United States.

Update: The casting only seems to work with phones and tablets. Casting from the computers is still not supported at this time,

Recently it was reported that YouTube TV has signed up around 330,000 live TV subscribers since it launched in April 2017. That puts YouTube TV close to the last reported numbers for Hulu and PlayStation Vue of about 400,000. (The PlayStation Vue numbers are over six months old and again came from sources familiar with the situation.) One of the big reasons that YouTube TV was so far behind Sling TV with over 2,000,000 subscribers was lack of device support and limited markets. Now YouTube TV can be viewed on the most popular streaming player in the United States.

In December 2017 YouTube TV topped 80 metro markets by adding 34 new markets. Right now YouTube TV is available to about half of the United States population.

Here are all the new markets YouTube TV added in December 2017:

• Albany
  • Baton Rouge
  • Buffalo
  • Cedar Rapids
  • Chattanooga
  • Colorado Springs
  • Des Moines
  • Flint
  • Fresno-Visalia
  • Ft. Myers-Naples
  • Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers (Arkansas)
  • Grand Rapids
  • Green Bay
  • Greenville (either SC or NC, whichever didn’t have it last time)
  • Huntsville-Decatur (Florida)
  • Jackson (Mississippi)
  • Knoxville
  • Little Rock
  • Madison
  • New Orleans
  • Omaha
  • Paducah-Cape Girardeau-Harrisburg
  • Portland-Auburn (Maine)
  • Providence
  • Roanoke-Lynchburg (Virginia)
  • Rochester
  • Savannah
  • Shreveport
  • South Bend-Elkhart (Indiana)
  • Spokane
  • Springfield (Missouri)
  • Toledo
  • Tucson
  • Tulsa
  • Waco

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

33 Responses to YouTube TV Adds Casting Support For Roku Players

1. zoid_99 January 25, 2018 at 10:57 am #

Huntsville-Decatur (Florida) : This should say Huntsville-Decatur (Alabama)

2. Malignar January 25, 2018 at 11:03 am #

Not seeing this on my Roku or the option to cast to my Roku. I was really hoping this would be a full Youtube tv channel on the Roku not only casting to a Roku. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can use my Roku remote and not my phone for everything.

3. SS January 25, 2018 at 11:07 am #

I was so excited because I thought they released an actual Roku channel. They’re so obsessed with casting.

• Brian @chatlegion.com January 25, 2018 at 11:21 am #

Agreed. It’s pathetic. There are some things that just require a remote.

• existentialObserver January 25, 2018 at 1:17 pm #

Agree. I like the YTTV tablet interface design but ultimately don’t like YTTV because I’d rather use a remote and not have to grab tablet/phone, unlock it, find the app, etc. Casting has its place but a remote is so much easier for general TV viewing/surfing.

• Greg Lohr January 25, 2018 at 4:32 pm #

It says sign in and you can use the remote to control it.

• J_Grouchy January 25, 2018 at 11:31 am #

Seriously…WTF? The whole POINT of a Roku is ignored by requiring casting.

4. Soyntgo4it January 25, 2018 at 11:15 am #

Yes I have YouTube but not YouTube TV

5. Brian @chatlegion.com January 25, 2018 at 11:20 am #

Casting… how sad. Make an APP for Roku (and FireTV) Until then, i’ll pass.. I will not be locked to my phone to change channels on my TV.

• Ryan Ot January 25, 2018 at 11:28 am #

Fire TV will never happen. I have a Samsung smart TV that has the app but the service isn’t available in my city of almost 400,000 people.

• Kawshik Ahmed January 25, 2018 at 12:52 pm #

Google blocked the Standard Youtube app on Fite TV and you think they will launch Youtube TV on there ??!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Until Amazon says sorry and start selling Chromecast and add Casting on Amazon Video, there will be no Youtube TV on Fire TV.

• Teddy G January 25, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

I found an app for Youtube on FireTV. I installed it this morning on my 2nd Gen Fire TV box and it worked perfectly. It’s basically a mod version of the official Google Youtube app. But this app isn’t blocked by Google. It’s pixel by pixel a clone of the real Google Youtube app so it’s far better than the Amazon’s old Youtube app. It’s called “S-Tube”. If you are familiar with alternative app stores, check out “apktime” app. It has a fire tv section to their app store. Install “S-Tube” and login to your Youtube app and you are good. I’m not sure if it is against the rules on cordcutternews to post a link. But if it’s allowed, I’ll gladly post a link.

6. Roy Aguilera January 25, 2018 at 11:26 am #

Title is misleading. Should be: YouTube TV adds casting support to Roku.

7. Fred Koot January 25, 2018 at 11:45 am #

Casting is a way for Google to control advertising, that’s why they do anything

8. Malignar January 25, 2018 at 11:46 am #

I’m not seeing the option to cast to my Roku’s. I must be missing something. I was so excited when I read the headline, thinking this was something more than casting, darn.

9. Fred Koot January 25, 2018 at 11:52 am #

Are you sure it’s not screen mirroring, nothing on the website suggests casting to Roku

• Cord Cutters News January 25, 2018 at 11:52 am #

It works give it a try.

• Dan Ataz January 25, 2018 at 12:45 pm #

I too see nothing on their site stating it is available and am reluctant to sign up to try it.

• Les Prouty January 25, 2018 at 2:08 pm #

Can you explain how it works please? I have YTTV playing on my iPad and still see nothing that will cast it up to the Roku screen.

• David Allen January 25, 2018 at 8:03 pm #

This feature is not on IOS devices.

10. Joseph ewing January 25, 2018 at 11:58 am #

When I sit down to watch TV at night, that’s when I put my phone down.

There’s a reason why Chromecast will never approach Roku in sales. Most people still want a set top experience.

Will they ever learn?

11. Rocksleeper January 25, 2018 at 12:12 pm #

This article really should be headlined “YouTube TV can now stream from phone to Roku”

Then the sub headline: “still has no true app for roku or ATV, missed 2017 deadline.”

12. Malignar January 25, 2018 at 12:13 pm #

Just figured out how to cast regular Youtube to my roku, no success yet with Youtube TV. Um randomly deleting normal comments is not going to help your site.

13. John Smith January 25, 2018 at 12:14 pm #

YouTube TV has promised standalone apps for both the Roku and Apple platforms (as opposed to casting from other devices), originally by the end of 2017, and more recently said they would be delayed to the first quarter of 2018. I thought I heard they had released something for the Apple platform just this week, but nothing yet in the way of the Roku app.

14. stumpy579 January 25, 2018 at 12:15 pm #

The only casting I do is when I go fishing. No YouTube for me.

• John Smith January 25, 2018 at 2:33 pm #

Right now, I’m watching it via a Windows laptop with the Chrome browser, and outputting to my nearby TV via an HDMI cable. Works just fine, far better than casting for my preference. But I’ll be happy (I hope) when the dedicated Roku app arrives, since apparently there isn’t going to be a YouTube TV app for the Fire TV platform.

15. Todd Schutte January 25, 2018 at 5:56 pm #

Doesn’t work. iPhone and Roku Premier. No option to cast to Roku. Only sees my chromecast. 👎

• Steve Hall January 25, 2018 at 5:58 pm #

I’m also not seeing the cast button on my iphone to Roku Express…Just AirPlay

• Dean G January 26, 2018 at 9:21 am #

It does work and I’ve been doing it for months, it is not new. Go into your Roku settings and turn it on, your phone and roku must be on the same network. When you load up Youtube on your phone it will ask you to connect to a device, select the Roku and it will appear on the TV.

• Todd Schutte January 26, 2018 at 9:41 am #

You say “YouTube” do you mean “Youtbe TV”? Because you’re right about YouTube. That functionality has been there for years.

16. french.snowball January 25, 2018 at 6:36 pm #

doesn’t work, fake news

17. mediablowhards January 26, 2018 at 9:33 am #

I have an Insignia Roku TV and this is not working with the YouTube TV app. It works, and has worked with the normal YouTube app. Yes, the TV and mobile device are on the same wireless network. When I press the cast button in YouTube TV, the only device that appears is the television via Google Home. When I press the cast button in YouTube, both the television via Google Home and television by itself as a Roku device appear in the list.