abc2
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

YouTube TV Forces You to Watch Ads on DVR’d Shows

It seems Google has found a new way to make money on YouTube TV… Forcing you to watch ads on shows you DVR’d.

It seems if you record a show on YouTube TV once it comes to on demand your recording will be replaced with the on demand. version. Yet the on demand version wont let you skip comercials. This is  thanks to the tangle of contracts YouTube has with major media companies like Walt Disney Co. , 21st Century Fox and Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal.

So if you record something on ABC you can watch it and fast forward it as long as there is no on demand version. Though typically within 24 hours, YouTube likely will have the on-demand version of that show. In on-demand versions of shows, TV networks typically disable fast-forwarding over ads to make sure they get credit from marketers who pay for the commercials.

If YouTube TV does have the on-demand version of the show you want available, then it won’t let its subscribers watch a recorded version that allows for ad-skipping. Instead, viewers will be forced to watch the on-demand episode and all of the ads, even though consumers thought they saved the show on their DVR.

A YouTube spokeswoman confirmed this to The Wall Street Journal and said it is “tied to deals” with TV programmers. Of course, if the on demand version doesn’t exist, the YouTube TV subscriber will be able to watch a recorded version and skip ads.

Don’t want this deal? Well for now both Sling TV and PlayStation Vue offer DVRs that will let you fast forward through commercials even if they have it on demand.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

33 Responses to YouTube TV Forces You to Watch Ads on DVR’d Shows

UberCrew April 11, 2017 at 10:51 am #

Youtube TV’s biggest selling point is their unlimited DVR feature. Their channel lineup is severely lacking. Now to find out that you can’t even skip over commercials on Youtube TV’s DVRed shows which pretty much makes their DVR fairly useless which in turn makes Youtube TV fairly useless since like I said DVR was their main selling point.

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 12:07 pm #

YouTube TV is the only OTT service I have seen to offer live streaming of The CW Philly, it is also one of the few to offer CSN Philly (Vue and FuboTV also do)

UberCrew April 11, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

Most people in Philly can get the CW OTA for free. The CW provides all their shows for free using their app. I don’t really care about CSN Philly. For those that do I would say that Vue is a much better option than Youtube TV. You may pay a little more with Vue but you are getting much more. Youtube TV really offers nothing for me. Their channel lineup only has maybe a handful of channels that I actually care about but I wouldn’t pay $35/mo for those few channels. Like I said in my previous post their best selling feature ( Unlimited DVR) seems too be more hype than substance.

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 12:41 pm #

I’m in Delaware and in a dead zone…Too far away to get OTA.

I definitely agree that Vue is overall the best option, but every service has different things that make them attractive.

Even FuboTV has some advantages..lol

UberCrew April 11, 2017 at 12:48 pm #

I wish there was a service that offered everything. So far each one is lacking in something whether it be channels/content or features. Maybe in a couple years when these services have matured more they will be much better options.

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 12:53 pm #

I agree…

Right now the only one that has it all for me is Xfinity cable…lol

UberCrew April 11, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

Yeah that’s true for me too but of course we all know the downsides of dealing with the old Cable companies.

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm #

I can’t wait til I have legitimate options besides Comcast / Xfinity for internet…I really do hate them

mau47 April 12, 2017 at 9:07 am #

I’m not sure where you are in DE but if you are in New Castle County you should be able to pick up Philly OTA channels. I am a couple of miles from the Kent County line and can pick up all of the Philly channels except ABC on all but the crappiest days weather wise with a little $30 antenna I have mounted on my roof.

AstroMonster April 12, 2017 at 9:49 am #

I’m not in New Castle county and no, I can’t pick up anything.

Even cell phone signals are bad here.

rob034 April 13, 2017 at 6:13 am #

Why do that to yourself? Move!

AstroMonster April 13, 2017 at 6:29 am #

Hopefully you’re just kidding…

No one sells a house just because they get bad reception there

catalysto June 15, 2017 at 12:12 am #

I would.

GersonT1000 April 11, 2017 at 10:53 am #

Yet another reason to skip on YouTube TV. It hasn’t impressed me at all based on all I’ve read.

Richard smith April 11, 2017 at 11:11 am #

From what I have heard you are just taken to network apps. Like CW is not live, just links to CW apps.

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 11:57 am #

I have YouTube TV and The CW is live for me. Maybe the person who told you that is in an area where The CW is not available.

I got a 30 day sub thru Groupon for $5 plus the 7 day trial..37 days for $5

Donnie April 11, 2017 at 11:16 am #

As a Playstation Vue subscriber, I’m always looking at these other options. So far (for me), Playstation Vue wins.

Scott Laughlin April 11, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

I’ve been a satisfied playstation Vue customer for over 5 months now. I keep an eye on the other streaming services that have made changes (SlingTV now having DVR) and those that are starting up a new service (DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, soon-to-be HuluTV, etc.)…So far I think I have the sweet spot in terms of service, features, quality, and price.
      This YouTube TV news just confirms that.

Adam April 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm #

Agree completely. PS Vue is still the clear far and away winner as far as I am concerned.

Robert Beier April 11, 2017 at 2:37 pm #

I still plan to do the 30 day trial once it hits my area, but so far Vue and Sling are my top choices. Along with an antenna there isn’t much I’d miss with either of those two.

JGaLaXY April 11, 2017 at 3:00 pm #

is the DVR a separate fee for YouTube TV?

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 3:40 pm #

No, it is not

Richard smith April 11, 2017 at 5:38 pm #

What Dvr?

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 6:10 pm #

Correct, there is no separate fee for DVR..at least not that I have seen…..and I am using it right now

AstroMonster April 11, 2017 at 4:59 pm #

The real shame about this is that it is EASILY the best streaming mobile app (Android) that I have ever used.

(I’ve used Sling TV, DirecTV Now, Vue, Fubo TV, Xfinity TV and YouTube TV mobile apps)

Bruce Wayne April 12, 2017 at 2:29 am #

PS Vue proving once again why it’s the superior TV streaming service. I can choose between DVR and On-Demand versions.

deguello April 12, 2017 at 7:32 am #

I’ve had youtube tv since the first day and I’ve never seen this. I can fast forward thru every commercial on the shows on the dvr. There’s even less commercials on the recorded shows. Fox shows only show a 30 second Fox promotion for commercials, so I’m not seeing the problem here.

Brian @chatlegion.com April 13, 2017 at 8:27 am #

You clearly didn’t read. If you DVR a show, and then the show becomes available On-Demand, which most do, then youTube TV will force you to watch the on-demand version and show commercials. Sounds like crap to me.

REP April 12, 2017 at 10:04 am #

This is just lame. What the hell is the point of DVR if you can’t skip commercials. The reason people want dvr is to skip commercials. If you can’t do that….might as well not have dvr at all. Is that why Sling did the same too? I notice most shows that aired previous days cannot fast forward. I’m not going to sit through commercials and that’s why i quit watching right away.

Darnell April 12, 2017 at 11:34 am #

Sony says, Thank you YouTube.

normgregory April 13, 2017 at 2:56 am #

I couldn’t pass forward tonight watching The Americans on FX on Ps Vue or Sling.

rjdriver April 17, 2017 at 10:40 am #

For those who DVR solely to avoid ads rather than time shift, there are certainly workarounds that involve screen capture devices to record shows, which can later be edited to remove commercials. Not as easy as fast forwarding, but doable.

Redsun November 21, 2017 at 9:04 pm #

Just discovered this fact. Deal killer.