YouTube TV Hits 300,000 Signups

Beautiful fashion girl learning on line with a tablet and headphones sitting on a bench in the streetIt looks like YouTube TV is off to a great start according to CNBC, which reported that YouTube TV now has 300,000+ live TV signups since the service launched last summer. This comes after Hulu announced they have topped 17 million total subscribers on their on-demand service.

According to CNBC, citing people familiar with the situation, YouTube TV has signed up around 330,000 live TV subscribers since it launched in April 2017. That puts YouTube TV close to the last reported numbers for Hulu and PlayStation Vue of about 400,000. (The PlayStation Vue numbers are over six months old and again came from sources familiar with the situation.)

Though maybe it should be no surprise that YouTube TV would be slightly behind their competitors. As of the time of this post YouTube TV is still not available nationwide even after aggressively rolling out the service in the second half of 2017.

DIRECTV NOW recently hit their one-year anniversary by hitting 1 million live TV subscribers, putting them ahead of many of their competitors but still behind Sling TV. According to reports, Sling TV recently topped 2 million subscribers on the high end while others say Sling TV has about 1.68 million subscribers on the low end. (Sling TV does not disclose subscriber numbers.) There is a growing list of live TV streaming services including fuboTV that recently announced they have topped 100,000 subscribers.

YouTube TV was not the only live TV streaming service to launch in 2017 as Hulu, Comcast Instant TV, Spectrum Streaming, Philo and others all launched a live TV streaming service in 2017.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

10 Responses to YouTube TV Hits 300,000 Signups

1. LMan January 23, 2018 at 8:35 am #

Waiting for the free Chromecast offer before I try them.

2. Wambie January 23, 2018 at 9:21 am #

I checked on Spectrum because I liked their app interface but same old cable tricks with fees and locals we’re 9 dollars extra per month. Getting a Nvidia Shield so I’ll probably at least try YouTube.

3. Joe Siegler January 23, 2018 at 10:24 am #

Please. Add MLB Network, and I’ll switch in a heartbeat. Youtube has the best DVR system of any of them.

DirecTV Now has the channels, and Sling has a better DVR. Youtube is almost there, but lacks some channels.

• Wambie January 23, 2018 at 1:42 pm #

Ahhh yes. I’m the same. I waited to cut cable til I could get MLBN on PSV.

• chenriii January 23, 2018 at 8:14 pm #

Sling has a better DVR than PS Vue?

• Joe Siegler January 23, 2018 at 8:27 pm #

Don’t know about PS – too expensive, so I never signed up for them. I can only speak for the ones I use. Sling and DirecTV Now.

4. SS January 23, 2018 at 11:13 am #

Wish they could just go nationwide and add support for Roku and Apple TV. I’m lucky it’s available in my area and I have NVIDIA Shield but for most people, that’s not an option. So, they’re losing a lot of customers if they keep waiting.

• John January 23, 2018 at 11:29 am #

Yep, I have been waiting almost a year for them to come to my area. I have asked them a number of times about when it’ll be here and all I ever get is “Well, we’ll be adding more areas soon!”.

• SS January 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm #

I just think it’s a terrible business model for them not to make themselves available to customers who are willing to buy.

5. Rocksleeper January 23, 2018 at 5:47 pm #

Not bad considering they are more focused on their fight with Amazon than making apps for Roku and Apple TV.

Seriously…make a Roku and Apple TV app already.