Roku Express 2017

YouTube TV Officially Launches on Roku Players

Today YouTube TV officially launches on Roku players and Roku TVs with a dedicated YouTube TV Roku Channel. Now you can access YouTube TV both by casting to Roku players and by opening the dedicated YouTube TV Channel.

“We are thrilled to bring YouTube TV to our customers,” said Tedd Cittadine, vice president, content distribution, Roku. “YouTube TV connects Roku users with great live TV from major broadcast and popular cable networks in a channel built specifically for TVs.”

“We love TV—from the shows to live sports to the can’t miss events. We built YouTube TV to give consumers a better way to experience this great content,” said Christian Oestlien, product management director, YouTube TV. “The way people watch TV is ever-evolving, and expanding our reach through the Roku platform was a great fit.”

Some additional YouTube TV features available on Roku include:

• Cloud DVR with no storage limits
  • “Library” tab that includes easy access to the shows you’ve recorded. Browse movies, shows, and events by new, most watched, and more to find the perfect thing to watch
  • “Home” tab with personalized recommendations including top picks, resume watching (easily pick up where you left off on another device when you get home) and more
  • “Live” tab with a full program guide to see what’s on now and what’s airing soon
  • Background playback experience so you never miss the action while you browse the app
  • Ability to share with up to 5 other roommates or family members in your household. Each family member gets their own login, DVR, and personalized recommendations

Right now YouTube TV is available in over 80 metro areas. You can add YouTube TV to your Roku player HERE. (Note if that link is not working check back in about 5 minutes.)

45 Responses to YouTube TV Officially Launches on Roku Players

1. James Humphrey February 1, 2018 at 9:23 am #

As of 8:18 am Central Time, I don’t see the Youtube TV Roku app from St. Louis and Austin IP addresses. I am using the link from the article (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/195316) which ends up redirecting to the Roku channel browse. If I search on youtube, it only finds the youtube app not youtube.tv.

• Malignar February 1, 2018 at 9:28 am #

I’m not seeing it either. I’m guessing it will show up today at some point.

• Todd February 1, 2018 at 9:54 am #

Same for me. I’m hoping it shows up in the channel store soon.

• Dr. Detroit February 1, 2018 at 10:45 am #

Make sure you are logged in, or Youtube TV won’t detect your area.

• Dr. Detroit February 1, 2018 at 10:45 am #

Logged in to Roku, that is.

• Me February 1, 2018 at 11:29 am #

Doesn’t show regardless of being logged in or not.

• James Humphrey February 1, 2018 at 12:16 pm #

Update, the link (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/195316) now resolves for me to YouTube TV logged in (to Roku account) and not logged in. Yay!

• Brad McGlaughn February 1, 2018 at 12:39 pm #

As of 8:30 central: Youtube TV wasn’t showing when i searched on my box this morning or on the roku web site channel store.

But I just tried again (11:30) using the above link and BOOM, it’s appeared! Added the channel. Hopefully it will be waiting for me on my Roku when i get home tonight.

2. Robert Beier February 1, 2018 at 9:23 am #

Nice to see they weren’t relying on casting as much as was initially thought before the official release.

• Kal February 1, 2018 at 12:29 pm #

Same here!

3. Mark D February 1, 2018 at 9:47 am #

May switch. Philo not have a news outlet stinks.

4. JeffO February 1, 2018 at 9:49 am #

The fact that they don’t offer TBS is a deal breaker for the Wife.

• Fred Koot February 1, 2018 at 10:05 am #

How about the lack of HGTV, don’t know much women that would live without that

• JeffO February 1, 2018 at 10:13 am #

yup, didn’t see that. She’s gotta have her Property Bros!

• Malignar February 1, 2018 at 10:14 am #

It lacks many channels. HGTV and A&E are definitely missed by myself. But it hits the spot for the sports channels and locals so I’m good with it for now. I will sub to Philo if I really need HGTV or an A&E fix. I’m hoping DTVN gets it’s act together as then I can just grab their $50 package and not worry about missing any channels.

• Me February 1, 2018 at 10:16 am #

If you think that you’re going to be able to cut cable and get a OTT service that duplicates cable for a lot cheaper you are fooling yourself.

• Malignar February 1, 2018 at 10:20 am #

The $50 DTVN has all the channels I could possible want. Cable was charging me $90+. So I do think it is possible to get pretty much everything for cheaper. Or Youtube TV and Philo for $51 a month (only missing Turner channels).

• JeffO February 1, 2018 at 10:48 am #

We have Sling and like it just fine. We are saving about $80 per month, so yes you can save. What it comes down to, for me, is I have to keep mama happy. If i can give her the shows she likes and save money, well then its a win/win. If it was just me, id have an antenna and be a true cord cutter. The great thing about this is that everyone can save money by picking there own level of cord cutting

• JeffO February 1, 2018 at 10:48 am #

I’m not “fooling” myself, i’m just picking the best option that fits my personal lifestyle.

• Me February 1, 2018 at 10:51 am #

@disqus_B4LWEMzrmB:disqus A) I wasn’t responding to you. B) The person I was inferred they wanted to replicate cable TV packages. well that’s not going to happen and be significantly cheaper.

5. Mike Blakeslee February 1, 2018 at 10:03 am #

It’s 10:02am (EST)
    Philadelphia Area

Link isn’t directing me anywhere except to Movies and TV section of Roku website. Search for YouTube TV, YouTube LIVE TV, YouTube , etc and no results except regular ol YouTube app. Searched on my Roku Express and TCL Roku TV came up w/nada.

6. Fred Koot February 1, 2018 at 10:11 am #

No mention of Roku support on the YouTube tv site and no channel in the Roku store.
    I would suggest checking your sources.

Per Youtube tv website
    TV:
    Stream with Google Chromecast, Android TV, supported Samsung and LG smart TVs, Xbox One & Apple AirPlay. More smart TVs and Apple TV coming soon.

7. matthewmspace February 1, 2018 at 10:15 am #

Sigh… Still no Apple TV app…

8. GMan524 February 1, 2018 at 10:28 am #

Where is it???? Not available in WNY

• paul February 1, 2018 at 11:54 am #

Noon, still not listed on my Roku ultra.go blue

9. GMan524 February 1, 2018 at 10:30 am #

Is this fake news???? Must have came from CNN

• Fred Koot February 1, 2018 at 10:34 am #

Get ready for the comment deleted in 3. 2. 1

• Me February 1, 2018 at 10:53 am #

We can only wish. In the meantime another Gman is another obvious Trump supporter that I’m blocking,

• Iphart February 1, 2018 at 11:09 am #

No I think he was referring that Youtube TV does not have CNN either.
          But it does have Faux News Channel. Pretty legs on most shows!

10. John February 1, 2018 at 10:38 am #

As I keep bringing up, they want all these customers yet keep refusing to launch nationwide.

11. SS February 1, 2018 at 10:56 am #

Best decision YouTube TV has made in a long time.

12. Garry February 1, 2018 at 11:01 am #

Not here??????????? More FAKE NEWS

13. AMD718 February 1, 2018 at 11:31 am #

Refresh spamming … C’mon channel, appear already!!

14. Jenni B. February 1, 2018 at 11:36 am #

I can finally do the trial of this one! I have a Chromecast and like it, but I prefer using it for audio (podcasts, SiriusXM, etc.). You can’t flip channels when casting video.

15. Mike DeRousse February 1, 2018 at 12:00 pm #

There is some interesting back and forth going on between @YoutubeTV and @RokuPlayer on twitter.

16. Gordon Medley February 1, 2018 at 12:05 pm #

It’s in the channel store now…just checked.

17. AMD718 February 1, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

It’s there now. Used the link above.

18. Rocksleeper February 1, 2018 at 12:42 pm #

I will for certain try it out..

But not having at least one of the following might be the deal breaker for my wife and I: Discovery Networks, Turner Networks, Scripps Netwoks, or Viacom. My wife can usually be fine with having at least Scripps or Viacom…I can usually be fine with having either Discovery or Turner. But having none of them at all might be a deal breaker.

I really think YouTube should go the route of Hulu in integrating their services together with a subscription. I do use YouTube Red so I have no commericals on Youtube, can download content for travel, and have Play Music as well for my podcasts and music. I would probably switch to YouTube TV if a true Red subscriptions was included with it to help supplement the lack of channels.

19. Kal February 1, 2018 at 12:44 pm #

Anyone know if it’s possible to control the Roku app via voice on Google Home? I know I can control it when I cast, but I’m curious about how it works when I use the app.

20. James Humphrey February 1, 2018 at 3:04 pm #

Not working (just black screen for over a minute) on Roku 3. Anybody get it to work on Roku 3 yet?

21. John Smith February 2, 2018 at 4:24 am #

I downloaded and installed the YTTV app on my Roku Premiere+ on Thursday night via the New and Notable channels section on my Roku device.

The YTTV channel/app was the first entry on that list. It required authentication/YTTV sign-in via my computer/Chrome browser or mobile device. Took a couple minutes and went very smoothly.

Overall seems very similar to viewing via the Chrome browser, with the same main three tabs of your Library, Home and Live TV. Haven’t tried DVR settings via Roku yet, but the YTTV streaming on my Premiere+ has been flawless thus far.

PS – Obviously, I’m located in an area/city where YTTV is offered/available. The Roku channel, once activated, appears to take its location fix from the location on your PC Chrome browser or mobile device that you use for the set-up authentication.

22. Pat3332 February 5, 2018 at 9:57 am #

I had YouTube TV and liked it a lot, but like many others they don’t have the channels my wife watches, so I’m back with PS Vue. If they ever increase their lineup to include the 2-3 shows my wife just has to have, I’ll go back to them in a second.

23. ytpunx14 February 7, 2018 at 9:24 am #

Any idea why I am only
    Getting 30fps for all channels on my 2017 Roku tv?