AppleTV

YouTube TV Officially Releases Their Apple TV App

Earlier today YouTube TV officially launched on Roku players and Roku TVs with a dedicated YouTube TV Roku Channel. Now they have also launched an Apple TV app for Apple TV owners.

Google and Apple did not make any announcement but Apple TV is now listed as a supported device and we have been able to install it on our 4th gen Apple TV. According to the last update, the YouTube TV app now works with iOS 9.1 or later compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and now the Apple TV.

Update YouTube TV just tweeted this:

Some additional YouTube TV features available on Apple TV:

• Cloud DVR with no storage limits
  • “Library” tab that includes easy access to the shows you’ve recorded. Browse movies, shows, and events by new, most watched, and more to find the perfect thing to watch
  • “Home” tab with personalized recommendations including top picks, resume watching (easily pick up where you left off on another device when you get home) and more
  • “Live” tab with a full program guide to see what’s on now and what’s airing soon
  • Background playback experience so you never miss the action while you browse the app
  • Ability to share with up to 5 other roommates or family members in your household. Each family member gets their own login, DVR, and personalized recommendations

Right now YouTube TV is available in over 80 metro areas. You can add YouTube TV to your Apple TV HERE.

32 Responses to YouTube TV Officially Releases Their Apple TV App

1. Nathan John Ganiere February 1, 2018 at 6:28 pm #

this just got better, seriously thinking of flowing with this and sending DTVN to the curb more so cause it simply has always worked on any device I’ve used and love the app in general, sure they could work on the channel lineup but think it would just be fine, certain times of day I’d just have to change my viewing habits and watch something new, may not be a totally bad thing either

• Timm February 1, 2018 at 7:03 pm #

This exactly what I did. DTVN was approaching $70 when adding all the sports channels. Cutting it in half and getting the DVR was too much to pass on.

• Nathan John Ganiere February 1, 2018 at 9:37 pm #

yeah starting to think I can live without Viacom and TBS, think I’ll survive without either……..

• DON February 2, 2018 at 8:41 am #

Sling only $25 ( have beta DVR includeded for free) and has TBS etc…so no youtube tv for me!

• Nathan John Ganiere February 2, 2018 at 9:46 am #

yeah only thing is Sling don’t include my 5 locals, plus Fox Sports North Plus 24/7 so local coverage is better with YouTube, still thinking I can survive without TBS and if for some reason I feel some craving for Viacom could add PHILO too and get back to square one what I was paying DTVN anyhow for $50 package……….

• Nathan John Ganiere February 2, 2018 at 9:48 am #

no matter who I go with though, gotta sacrifice something though I guess, win-win regardless, no where close to what I’d be paying for cable tv

• Nathan John Ganiere February 1, 2018 at 9:42 pm #

also opens up my bedroom TV with the ROKU on it again too, DTVN always ran like crap on that device, YouTube TV appears to work fine on any device you throw at it

• Me February 2, 2018 at 1:47 am #

should be half the price has half the channels.

2. Kevin Jordan February 1, 2018 at 6:39 pm #

Hopefully at some point they make the DVR more customizable. I don’t need it recording every instance of a show and it even records reruns of what’s already been recorded.

It’d also be nice to get my local Fox back on it and if they could add Turner networks and maybe A&E it’d definitely be a winner for me.

• SS February 1, 2018 at 10:13 pm #

There is no storage limit. What do you have to lose if they record everything including reruns? The app is organized very well; so it’s not like having a lot of recordings makes it more difficult to get to the episodes you want.

• Kevin Jordan February 2, 2018 at 2:16 am #

Yeah, you can always search for the show you want, but it seems pointless to clutter up your recordings with things you aren’t going to watch.

• SS February 2, 2018 at 2:03 pm #

They break recordings to Recent Recordings and New Episodes. Otherwise you can just go to the show pages which are perfectly grouped into seasons. I don’t see any clutter at all.

But then again, it’s human nature for humans to complain never appreciate anything. You give them too little, they complain; you give them more than they need, they complain.

• Fred Koot February 2, 2018 at 7:12 am #

So you would rather have a recording limit?

• Kevin Jordan February 2, 2018 at 9:37 am #

Not necessarily a recording limit. More that I can control what gets recorded.

• Fred Koot February 2, 2018 at 9:57 am #

You are NOT recording anything. Everything is recorded, you just have the ability to play. Again if you want specific episodes rec than you need a LIMITED personal harddrive. That’s not how YouTube works.

• Kevin Jordan February 2, 2018 at 10:08 am #

Okay, I have a feeling we’re playing semantics. I know everything gets recorded, I just don’t want to see everything that gets recorded.

• Franklin Willis February 2, 2018 at 1:37 pm #

Why not just go to the new episodes option? There’s recordings that shows everything and then there’s a new episodes that list only the first run recordings.

• Kevin Jordan February 2, 2018 at 2:33 pm #

They must have added that fairly recently. I haven’t been on YouTube TV in a few months. I’d like to switch back at some point if they ever get my local Fox again though.

• Franklin Willis February 2, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

Maybe so, I’ve only been using it since the middle of November. I saw the same complaint from other people but luckily by the time I signed up, there was an option for new episodes that was separate from the rest of the recordings.

• Robert Beier February 2, 2018 at 11:58 am #

I don’t mind the re-runs, but when if I could specify the channels it would keep me from getting the Spanish language version of Raw. Which erases the English version.

3. Timm February 1, 2018 at 6:51 pm #

YouTube TV is so much better through the Apple TV app over the Roku version. Most channels ate 60fps in the AppleTV (4k) vs. 30fps in the Roku.

• Nathan John Ganiere February 1, 2018 at 6:56 pm #

yeah did notice a stuttering on some channels on the ROKU that simply not there on Apple TV, think it’s the framerate on those the difference……..

• Me February 2, 2018 at 1:46 am #

Want a cookie? I would hope a device that cost 3X as much has better PQ. Sorry still not joining your cult

• GersonT1000 February 2, 2018 at 9:26 am #

While I sort of agree with you, why are you always so angry? You can make your point in a polite way. Relax, breathe, enjoy the fact you’re alive, thank God for what you have and the people you love.

• Timm February 2, 2018 at 2:25 pm #

Well said, GersonT1000. Honestly, I was hoping for a cookie since Me was adding so little to the conversation.

• Malignar February 2, 2018 at 5:57 pm #

The roku version has 60fps on most of the sports channels.

• Timm February 2, 2018 at 6:36 pm #

I could only get 30fps from ESPN and Fox Sports through Roku. Does it depend on which Roku a person has? I have a Roku 4K TV. I love the Roku remote much better than the Apple TV.

• existentialObserver February 2, 2018 at 10:36 pm #

I’m on an older Roku stick and see 60fps on some channels.

4. NickRoberts February 1, 2018 at 7:12 pm #

Pq on Apple TV is simply amazing

5. Joe Siegler February 1, 2018 at 10:32 pm #

They’re making it tempting. Although they do not have MLB Network, which is a big deal for me.

6. Timm February 2, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

The 60fps on Apple TV also extends to the non-4K line. I have an older AppleTV in one room and the frame rate is still 60 on ESPN, Fox Channels, and a few others. Some are still 30fps (NBCSN), but a mix of 60-30 is better than the complete 30fps on the Roku.