Roku Express 2017

YouTube TV Pulls Support for Roku Players

After working for almost a week a few hours ago Google updated YouTube TV to remove support for casting to Roku players and Roku TVs. Starting with an update about a week ago YouTube TV was updated and allowed casting to Roku players as long as you had the Roku YouTube Channel installed. The casting processed worked just like casting any YouTube video to a Roku player.

A few hours ago Google updated YouTube TV to remove support for casting to Roku devices. Both Google and Roku did not release any statement and as we suspected this was an accidental release before it was meant to go live.

The good news is when it worked the casting worked well without any issues. As you can see in the video below, there was even graphics already made for YouTube on Roku Players.

Well, Google may have pulled support for Roku players, for now, it looks like they are very close to releasing Roku support. Casting worked great, and they already had graphics for using your Roku remote with YouTube TV. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, we will get a full release of YouTube TV on Roku players.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

33 Responses to YouTube TV Pulls Support for Roku Players

1. Michael Smith January 26, 2018 at 9:33 am #

Wow! I tried it last night and it worked great casting from the tablet to Roku. I have been able to cast to my LG 4k tv the YouTube app for a long time now. Also, my LG tv has the YouTube live tv app but YouTube does not provide live streaming to northern Michigan yet.

2. Ottis DA Da aD January 26, 2018 at 9:41 am #

Can you watch YouTube TV without casting it since there’s an app for regular YouTube/YouTube Red ? I never understood the forcing you to use your phone… like on the TV’s with Chromecast built in or am I missing something?

• SS January 26, 2018 at 10:00 am #

Google wants to keep YouTube and YouTube TV as separate apps. So, you can’t watch YouTube TV on the YouTube app.

They have dedicated YouTube TV TV apps on Android TV devices, Android TVs (like Sony), recent Samsung and LG TV sets.

If you don’t have an Android TV or any of the supported TV models, then you need to cast from your phone/tablet to Chromecast.

If you have Apple TV, you can also cast to it using AirPlay – until they release a native Apple TV app.

• Matt Wolfgang January 26, 2018 at 2:26 pm #

> Google wants to keep YouTube and YouTube TV as separate apps.

Interestingly enough, shows you watch on YouTube TV do show up in your YouTube watch history.

• SS January 26, 2018 at 2:49 pm #

I think Google is planning on eventually making it possible to at least watch your DVR and On Demand content directly on YouTube. I don’t think it’s a mistake the history shows up on YouTube app.

They must be planning some sort of a merge eventually like how you can watch Google Play movies/shows on YouTube.

3. filmex January 26, 2018 at 10:17 am #

I don’t think the people that have Roku’s are particularly interested in casting. I know we’re not.

• streaming_in_oklahoma January 26, 2018 at 6:10 pm #

Totally agree

• Michael K Pate January 26, 2018 at 7:21 pm #

I have a Roku and a Chromecast hooked up to the same tv (I had the Chromecast first). I want to be able to turn on YouTube TV and leave it on through an app – not manage it from my phone.

• Ryan_Knows January 29, 2018 at 10:26 am #

Couldn’t agree more. It absolutely should be a stand alone app so that when I have a visitor or family that has kids I can give them the roku remote and just tell them to go watch TV on the YouTube TV app. I don’t want to have to give them my phone to make it work.

• Todd January 27, 2018 at 4:26 pm #

4. existentialObserver January 26, 2018 at 11:00 am #

According to Google’s YTTV support forum, a full blown Roku app will eventually be released – not just casting.

• Rocksleeper January 26, 2018 at 11:23 am #

And they said it they would have an ATV and Roku app by the end of 2017..

so who knows what “Eventually” means.

• SS January 26, 2018 at 2:46 pm #

They sent an update saying Apple TV and Roku apps would be out in Q1 2018.

• Rocksleeper January 26, 2018 at 3:40 pm #

Nice for them to send an update after they missed their first deadline.

I look forward to “update #2” and the end of Q1….saying it will be ready in Q2.

• Paul January 26, 2018 at 4:32 pm #

Here if the thing to think of. Would you rather them put out some broke app (DirecTv Now), or would you rather have something that works really well with no issues. I go for something that works really well.

• Rocksleeper January 26, 2018 at 5:39 pm #

I actually really haven’t had that many issues with DTVN on my roku TV

But would I would like is companies to stop putting a carrot on a stick. Make NO announcement until you have a HARD date for release.

• Kravimir January 26, 2018 at 8:01 pm #

You don’t want to know what apps are being developed? Software projects are difficult to estimate completion dates for and I suspect that Roku apps may present challenges to make it even more difficult than usual to make that estimate.

• Rocksleeper January 26, 2018 at 8:07 pm #

I’m fine with them saying saying it is in development. Not fine with them saying “will have apps by 2017”, and then not delivering.

Don’t give any deadline if you don’t know.

5. Chris Torres January 26, 2018 at 11:12 am #

This has been going on for months. I’ve been able to cast to Roku so long as I delete and then reinstall the app on my iPhone and or iPad. So this really is nothing new, although I don’t know what’s taking Google so long to just release the damn app.

• PrivacyWrites January 31, 2018 at 6:21 pm #

Yeah but they just updated the ap again two days ago … and the new one only “sees” chromecast receivers … you can tell by the newly added blue banner explaining what the ‘cast button is all about.
      Hope this means they’re only days, not weeks, away from release. Fingers crossed, it was great while it lasted, don’t know why they pulled it.

6. Jared Byron January 26, 2018 at 11:32 am #

7. Jared Byron January 26, 2018 at 11:32 am #

8. Kal January 26, 2018 at 11:33 am #

I’ll be really disappointed if they don’t release a Roku app, so I don’t have to cast from my phone. If I’m in bed watching TV, I just want to grab a remote and control things. I don’t want to have to put on my glasses and use my phone. (Same with Google Home. Nice device, but a total PITA on music as compared to Echo.)

• Jared Byron January 26, 2018 at 11:34 am #

they may

9. TaiPeng January 26, 2018 at 11:35 am #

Still no apps on multiple devices.

10. Jared Byron January 26, 2018 at 11:35 am #

oh fyi youtube fire tv app works again yw

11. Vegas Steve January 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm #

This is what happens when a company gets so big and has so much money that they can ignore things like the biggest streaming box out there. Google used to be more for the little guy, now they are as bad as crApple.

• SS January 26, 2018 at 2:45 pm #

Chill! They’re still developing an app for Roku. The update that included the casting was released by mistake before they’re ready to go live.

• Vegas Steve January 27, 2018 at 5:56 pm #

You chill. There is no excuse for lack of support for the most popular streaming box. I was making an observation about Google, if you don’t like it tough.

12. Malignar January 26, 2018 at 4:09 pm #

Never got it to work. When I tapped on the cast box it only showed my Chromecast as an option. Oddly the Roku’s showed up for regular youtube. Maybe should have uninstalled and reinstalled my Youtube TV app on my phone. Good to hear they are making a non cast option for Roku.

13. JohnnyCordCutter January 26, 2018 at 4:56 pm #

I had also been able to cast to my roku after every youtubeTV app re-install on my iPad, but since Google gave me a free chromecast for signing up, I have just been using that – much more consistent (though not perfect). Ultimately, I’m not that happy with casting and am really looking forward to a native roku youtubeTV app so I can just run everything through my roku.

14. Roger Livingston January 30, 2018 at 8:53 pm #

I have subscribed to Sling TV for over 2 years now and also have Tablo TV with an antenna. I don’t like switching between these 2 apps to go from broadcast to cable channels and want to switch to YouTube TV, but all my TVs have a Roku or Fire TV device, no Chromecast. How can they develop a streaming service that doesn’t support the top 2 streaming platforms? Makes absolutely no sense.

15. PrivacyWrites January 31, 2018 at 6:23 pm #

Exactly the same experience … and you can tell the new update by the blue banner telling user what the ‘cast button does … shame, the Roku app was great, while accessible, helped sell me on the service. Fingers crossed for a quick release…